Corsair Community

570x - First Time Builder. Fan Connection Question

Slayvoff

First time builder here with the 570x on the way. I want to buy 3 LL120 RGB LEDs in addition to the 3 SP120s the case comes with. Have the LL120s on the front and the SPs on the back/top. Possibly going to get the commander pro if its worth it.

A few questions....

Will that work to connect two different types to the commander pro or the 6-port splitter that comes attached to the case?

On a much more basic level, how do these all even connect? I understand each fan has 2 cords - one to power the LEDs and one to power the fans. For the Commander Pro, the fans' power plugs into the 6 slots on the Pro unit right? And then would the 6 RGB power cords plug into the 6-port splitter that comes with the case? And then a power cord goes from that into the LED port on the commander pro? And THEN the commander pro is plugged into a SATA port for power?

Please let me know if this is all correct. And do I need some sort of SATA splitter or additional cord to connect the Commander Pro to the SATA port?

Is there anything else I'd need to do that I am missing? This is a bit overwhelming

Welcome about the Crazy RGB Train!

First, I suggest that you take a read through Zotty's excellent FAQ on RGB. Many of your questions are answered there; it's linked in my signature. Feel free to post back here for clarifications.

You cannot, btw, use both SP and LL fans on the same fan hub. They are actually different RGB implementations, IIRC.

Thanks, that's helpful information.

So I guess with what lights to choose...is there a general consensus on what's best overall? Ignoring price, between SP, LL and ML what on average has the best color saturation/quietness/overall performance?

Sounds like ML should be the best mechanically? But it doesn't have LEDs around the fan rims so maybe it's a bit more dim/sedated like the SP120s, at least compared to LL/HD?

ML is the best mechanically and also the quietest.

They aren't quite as dim/sedated as the SP120s though; they are certainly brighter and have 4 LEDs so there are some effects. That said they aren't anywhere as bright as the LL or HD fans. The HD fans, in particular, are extremely bright. For looks, the LL fans are gorgeous and relatively quiet but they achieve their quietness with lower speeds, so they push the least amount of air of the bunch. They also really only show the full effect on the intake side.

That probably doesn't help much. It depends, mainly, on what's important to you and what you are trying to achieve. I, personally, use all three (HD, LL and ML) for three different uses.