Corsair Community

Recommended ways of increasing sata power connectors for LNP

DrMemes

Been searching around but couldn't find a clear answer on how to increase the number of SATA power connectors.

Some people suggest molex to SATA, but I feel kind of uncomfortable with anything molex related.

I also saw some suggestions on using SATA splitters which seems to be the better option, unless there's a drawback for some reason.

Additional info: I'm using all 2x3 SATA from a non modular PSU right now and I want to add a second LNP and maybe an h150i PRO in the future.

If possibly, your best bet is to get another cable for your PSU. I don't know if that's available for the EVGA PSU but it doesn't hurt to look. The Corsair PSU certainly are available separately.

Barring that ... the challenge with using SATA splitters is that you could wind up overloading the current draw on the SATA line. SATA power provides 3 rails - 3.3V, 5V and 12V - with a max of 4.5A on each connector. And the lighting can draw some current on the 5V rail.

Using Molex to SATA adapters can help bypass the current overload BUT ... Molex only provides 5V and 12V rails. This can be an issues, depending on what you have connected to the adapter. The Commander Pro, specifically, uses the 3.3V rail. The Lighting Node Pro and Fan Hub only use the 5V rail and the cooler only uses the 12V rail so you could, potentially, use a molex to SATA adapter with those.

The final option is, of course, a new PSU. I would consider 600W to be a little low for a system with a 1080.

If possibly, your best bet is to get another cable for your PSU. I don't know if that's available for the EVGA PSU but it doesn't hurt to look. The Corsair PSU certainly are available separately.

He doesnt have that option dude

I'm using all 2x3 SATA from a non modular PSU right now

I think it's fair to say.. if you have your current psu maxed out on it's sata connections.. upgrade time ;), that 600b is a bronze psu.. I wouldn't push it.....

not that much more than a cost of a LNP kit for a decent modular psu... another £30 pounds should do the trick,, worth it for the piece of mind and future options it allows

That or you need to get over your molex-phobia. It is the SATA splitters that would make me cringe. You do need to be careful with that as well. You have 4.5A for both 12v and 5v lines, but you also have a mix of 12v and 5v draws. Keeping it all straight and trying to figure an accurate current total is a bit tricky. What is going on the LNP? A 6 port lighting hub and 6 HD fans + 4 strips might eat a lot of the 5v rail. What else is on the line?

What else is on the line?

I have a 570x case and would probably use the same line as the one used for the Corsair logo on the PSU shroud if I were to use a splitter.

That said I will probably upgrade to a Supernova G3 or an RM850 eventually.

Archived