Corsair Community

H100i v2 placement?

boydsoule

I am about to assemble my pc and i have read that some people mount their H100i v2 on the top of the 570x case so the air exhausts out of the case while others mount it to the front of the case so cool air blows over the radiator.

1. Does it really matter which of the two locations you mount the H100i v2 to?

2. What are the pros or cons to each?

3. What do you suggest and why?

Thanks!

1) That depends on your case. With a 570x it is viable in either, but note the top mount can still be tricky with tall RAM modules or other large top VRM heatsinks, ATX plugs, etc.

2) Front mount - Theoretically cooler zone in the PC case. It's not really so much the "cool exterior air", but the front grill area is less affected by GPU waste heat than the top of the case. Even in my well ventilated 740 Air, there is a 3C difference between the top and bottom of the case. Does 2C matter? For most people no and I would decide on other factors. Radiators massively reduce the amount of airflow a fan can move. A fan with a potential 60 cfm max at top speed likely moves only 30cfm through a radiator, again at max speed. If this is your only source of intake, this can restrict your total capacity to exchange air. Additionally, the exhaust air from the front radiator will be more or less the same as the coolant temp. So if you run long loads and have for instance a +6C coolant delta, you are raising the temp of most things on the other side by 6C as well. PCH, DRAM, anything front of the board. Does it really matter? Probably not.

Top Mount - Lets you exhaust waste heat directly out of the case. I am always in favor of this when possible and the action of taking the heat and moving directly out of the case is one of the strongest reasons to use water cooling over air towers. This also lets your front intake flow unrestricted and therefore they can run lower speeds and move the same amount of air. Moderate speed on top and rear keeps fans in balance and you don't need a lot high revving anywhere. Down side is the top tends to be a little warmer than the front. It can be a lot warmer if you have a large GPU power draw or SLI. Two 980 Ti will change the internal atmosphere like you won't believe. With a 1070, it won't make as much difference, but this is always load/use dependent. Don't need to dust off the radiator very often. Front intake will require regular check-ups.

3. Most cases I want waste heat exhaust in whatever way I can get it. The 460/570 may be an exception. It is more or less required to front mount on 470 and there may be a strong visual appeal to doing that. There are a lot of 570 owners on this forum who can add real world rather than theoretical experience. One of the more popular things to do is run the H100iv2 in the front intake and the top as intake as well. Single rear exhaust. The idea is to force air venting out the gaps in the glass. It seems to work well enough for them and in a case like the 570 I would lean toward visual appeal rather than min/maxing temp data that won't matter.

In the lead up to my current water loop, I ran the H115i Pro as front intake on my new 8700K set to 5.0/1.30v. Coolant deltas are tiny and I was really surprised to see how low it was on front intake. It average +3-5C. That is a trivial amount of heat and virtually negligible in the Winter. For some CPUs your choice may require some accounting for wattage. Even a highly overclocked 8700K will not dramatically alter the environment.