Corsair Community

This is what my new build gonna be like!, your help is much appreciated

DrAbodoviC

Good evening

I'm building my new PC very soon and would like to share my specification with experts to avoid possible any issue. A list of components can be found in the following PC Part Picker link:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cdnNGG

1- I'm planning to overclock my CPU to 5.0Ghz and cooling it with NZXT Kraken X62 280MM AIO. Since its 280MM I'm planning to mount the rad on top but I'm not sure if I will be having clearance problem with CPU block or fans hitting the RAMs. Is it safe?

2- As for air flow, what do you think of having the front 3 fans as intake, while the rest are exhaust? I have seen plenty of builds doing the same thing but wanted to be sure

3- Also in the same page below, there is some compatibility notes saying:

- The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled.

- The motherboard M.2 slot #2 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled.

I don't quite get this, I made sure to pick a high end motherboard so I don't come across limitations in any way. Any idea?

4- Coming to the SSHDs, are they optimal for Raid 0 configurations? does it even work with it? I'm so clueless regarding this please helpz! :sigh!:

5- Is this 750W 80+ Gold power supply enough to power up my machine? do you recommend to go lower or higher?

6- And finally RGB!! since my eyes got on this Corsair LL RGB fans I couldn't stop thinking having Christmas on my table. But I'm not sure how I'm gonna make it work. I would like to have 6 Corsair LL fans along side with some RGB strips and make them all connected together and fully controlled through Corsair's software.

I know Corsair 570X case has RGB hub and another part I can't remember its name, Are these enough to manage all the RGBs in my case? Or what else do I need?

Thats all for now, thanks in advance

Are these all new parts, because my answers are assuming so.

1 - Any reason you are not going with a Corsair AIO? If so, you could control it with Commander Link.

2 I'd say that is good.

3 You only have one M.2 so I wouldn't worry about it.

4 I've never done RAID so I don't know, but I wonder why you need 6TB of hard drives in addition to the M.2?

5 I think 750W would be enough. Search for the Cooler Master power supply calculator, it is very helpful. The Corsair one is out of date with the latest stuff. I would suggest the "i" version instead though, as you can control it with Commander Link.

6 I have 6 ML120 Pro RGB fans, and 4 Corsair RGB strips connected together, to a Commander Pro. I didn't need the Lighting Node that came with the three fan kit I got, and you could save a few bucks by buying the other three fans as singles.

Thanks for answering, I did not buy anything yet and wanted advice before I do

1. I decided to go with NZXT Kraken cuz it looks way way better than anything else I have checked. So I don't mind it being not synced with the rest of my kit. My worries here is clearance between CPU block and ram as well as top radiator fans and ram.

4. Im flexable here, it is meant for games and mass storage. My current machine has 2 TB and its almost full. But in case raid 0 is not recommended I will probably have 1 sshd and the other one as normal hdd

5. My current machine has a 1000W 80+ bronze Aerocool power supply, its most likely inefficient. Keep it or buy new one?

6. Is that enough to control all fans (rgb + rpm) + rgb stips? Is there some sort of limitation I need to know? Like that I cant have more than 4 strips chained together

Thanks agian, really appreciate the help

Edited by DrAbodoviC

1) I have just built a 570X and I would clearly recommend putting the AiO to the front (280 or 360). First, the case is tailored for that as there is plenty of space and looking in my case, top mount will be tight to say the least.

2) I am aware that there is lots of philosophy around that. If you google / youtube a bit, you will find plenty of evidence that it doesn´t really matter for effective temperatures

3) It is not about compatibility but rather that an M2 slot "consumes" a SATA 6 connection. You need to check the manual of your Mobo to make sure that you do not plug in SATA cables in those ports that are disabled. Also, use the M2 slot for your SSD which disables only one SATA 6 port leaving you with 5 which should be sufficient.

4) If you really need 6TB I would try to minimize the number of HDDs. The case has 2 dedicated HDD spaces at the back and you need to find space for all your RGB stuff as well (e.g. CoPro, NoPro, RGB Hub). It can quickly get crowded back there. Even though there is always a way, if not necessary I would try to avoid. Don´t know about the Raid but if you only need HDDs as plain vanilla storage (without backup or mirror function) you probably can live without.

5) 750W is enough

6) Consider that you have 3 RGB fans in the case SP120 and two on the AiO. If you want to use them all + 6 additional + strips you probably need the Commander Pro for full control. You will find some nice diagrams here in the forum how to set everything up.

Hey, hey!

Solid motherboard choice. I especially like the RGB Header support for either 12v or 5v using the 5-pin connection. The reason I say this is you'll be set for integration in using RGB hardware in the future that makes use of an all-in-one controller, which can be driven by your motherboard RGB software.

The market already has this for Thermaltake that allows the all-in-one to connect to a 5v motherboard RGB header, and it supports Gigabyte, Asus and MSI, so all their RGB products can be controlled via Fusion, Aura or Mystic software.

I am going out on a limb and saying that Corsair's next Sync-it will most certainly have this ability, especially if they want to continue grabbing the RGB market share. Currently to make use of the motherboard software RGB syncing software, we have to pick and choose hardware that are supported, which leaves certain fan companies, cpu coolers, etc., blocked as a purchase if the motherboard won't support its RGB for syncing.

When Sync-it is available, it won't matter if it requires a 12v or a 5v, your motherboard will cover it, so you'll be good if that is the direction they go. Then you'll be able to sync Corsair products with your Gigabyte Fusion software. Still, I am only speculating as no information is available for connectivity.

Also, that is truly overkill on storage from where I'm sitting hehe :^)

Edited by PJH

1) No chance of a 280mm radiator up top. Even with a 240mm, you need to be careful about RAM height and odd top ATX plugs on the board.

2) Front intake and top/rear exhaust is pretty standard. If you are forced to front mount the radiator as intake, the direction of the top fans becomes a bit more subjective and situational.

3)Totally normal on the Z370 chipset. If you put a second m.2 drive in a m.2 slot (wherever that is), you will lose usage on SATA data plug 6 (or whichever your manual specifies). You would need more than 4 HDD/SSD plus m.2 drives for this to matter. You also may be able to use a sled PCI-E m.2 adapter to get around it, but most likely this is inconsequential.

4) I don't know. RAID configurations are often very motherboard specific. Try the manual first, then the maker directly.

5) Yes, it is enough to run. Your Ti likely has a top draw in the low 300W range. CPU might peak in the 150-170W range if highly overclocked. Being conservative, lets call that 450-500W CPU and GPU only. Then you need to account for all other drives and devices. I would want at least a 100W block for system power, especially when you get into things like RAID high speed HDDs and LL fans. So, 600/750 with Gold efficiency. I think my preference would be for a 1000W PSU, but not strictly required.

6) LL fans require either a Lighting Node Pro or Corsair Commander Pro to function. You must also run Link at all times to make their lights work. That may be something to bear in mind with the Kraken series, which also require CAM to be active at all times. Unlike the Corsair coolers, they cannot function properly without CAM running. Currently, they are causing conflicts with each other.

A 3 pack of LL120s will have the Lighting Node Pro you need to connect them to the Link software. A 2 pack of LL140s will as well. You will likely end up with more LNPs then you need, but that's OK. Each LNP can support two LED channels. Each channel can support either a 6 fan hub or a 4 LED strips in series. Thus a single LNP can handle your 6 LL120/140 fans and the 4 strip kit.

Like I said before, if you only have 6 RGB fans and four RGB strips linked together, the Commander Pro will be enough for your needs, and you won't need the Lighting Node that comes with the 2/3 fan kit. You did say you wanted to control fan rpms with Commander Link, and that's why you need the Commander Pro. You'll need to purchase the Commander Pro and four RGB strip kit separately. Four strips seems to be the max that can be linked together. So, if you want eight strips, say in two links , then you will need to add the Lighting Node as well. Edited by rschissler

Thank you guys! You all are awesome!

6) LL fans require either a Lighting Node Pro or Corsair Commander Pro to function. You must also run Link at all times to make their lights work. That may be something to bear in mind with the Kraken series, which also require CAM to be active at all times. Unlike the Corsair coolers, they cannot function properly without CAM running. Currently, they are causing conflicts with each other.

Thanks for letting me know about this :bigeyes:

But it is such a bummer being forced to pick a product for the sake of compatibility.

Thanks for letting me know about this :bigeyes:

But it is such a bummer being forced to pick a product for the sake of compatibility.

Yeah, I am not real big on this either and I consider it a poor gamble from a business perspective. The CAM/Link issues just started with the 4.9 Link release and I am hoping that will be addressed soon. CAM is not the only software Link has issues with all of a sudden.

While the LL fans require Link to be active, HD and ML-RGB fans do not. You can set the colors, exit Link, and keep your hardware playback. This is why I never ended up getting the LL series and there are too many times where I need to close Link for one reason or another. There are ways to make this work.

The only serious obstacle you have at the moment is the 280 radiator size and placement.

Yeah, I am not real big on this either and I consider it a poor gamble from a business perspective. The CAM/Link issues just started with the 4.9 Link release and I am hoping that will be addressed soon. CAM is not the only software Link has issues with all of a sudden.

While the LL fans require Link to be active, HD and ML-RGB fans do not. You can set the colors, exit Link, and keep your hardware playback. This is why I never ended up getting the LL series and there are too many times where I need to close Link for one reason or another. There are ways to make this work.

The only serious obstacle you have at the moment is the 280 radiator size and placement.

I can go 240mm rad and place it infront no big deal.

all of the stuff actually we got around it except this CAM/Link thing, which in case not resolved I might just go with corsair AIO

I can go 240mm rad and place it infront no big deal.

all of the stuff actually we got around it except this CAM/Link thing, which in case not resolved I might just go with corsair AIO

You can front mount a 280 without any issues. Easily in all variations, e.g. Push/Pull