Corsair Community

New H100i v1 - high water temp and water sound

Reinvented

Hi everyone!

I've had a replaced H100i for less than a year, and been running okay until recently. I started seeing about 12c higher temps on CPU and really high liquid temps. Upwards of 47-48c when gaming on Balanced. I took the AIO out, and could hear alot of splashing around. Does this mean that some of the liquid has evaporated? Is this why I'm starting to see higher than normal temps on my R7 1700? Pump seems to be running okay. Shows at 2046 in CL4. Seen it dip to 0 once, but I figured it was just the software as usual.

Should I be starting the RMA process again?

Just in relation to the temps, did you overclock the CPU at all?

Are you using a good thermal paste compound or the original thermal paste applied to the cooler?

My CPU is OC'd to 4.8GHz and I'm running 26-30 on idle, and around 40-50 in games.

And also, if there are any changes in the game that makes it more CPU intense it may increase temps too..

And another thing, what RPM is the pump running at?

Upwards of 47-48c when gaming on Balanced.

Should I be starting the RMA process again?

Those are H100i coolant temps? Yes, start a support ticket with Corsair. Generally when you start to see elevated coolant temperatures in that range, you have some sort of flow restriction reducing the heat transporting and release rate. We know the pump is on, so most likely it is some type of blockage. Other causes to rule out are total case temperatures in that same range (whole case is 45-46C, likely after massive GPU load) or if the case is placed in an environment that prevents it from moving heat away. That could be inside a cabinet, radiator exhaust blocked by something, or a thick carpet of dust across the fins preventing heat release. Since this appears to be a sudden developing issue, it is probably no to all of the above.

As a last ditch measure while you are waiting for support, you can take the H100i out and shake it. Not scientific and not guaranteed results. Sometimes you can dislodge whatever is clogging the flow, but of course what goes around comes back again and you may wind up in the same spot. However, this might remedy the air bubble issue. Serious performance restricting air bubbles are not common, but it does happen sometimes if you take it down for a fan change or clean. Usually air bubbles at the pump also cause a change in motor pitch and the sound becomes uneven. A more permanent blockage likely has the same consistent tune.

Those are H100i coolant temps? Yes, start a support ticket with Corsair. Generally when you start to see elevated coolant temperatures in that range, you have some sort of flow restriction reducing the heat transporting and release rate. We know the pump is on, so most likely it is some type of blockage. Other causes to rule out are total case temperatures in that same range (whole case is 45-46C, likely after massive GPU load) or if the case is placed in an environment that prevents it from moving heat away. That could be inside a cabinet, radiator exhaust blocked by something, or a thick carpet of dust across the fins preventing heat release. Since this appears to be a sudden developing issue, it is probably no to all of the above.

As a last ditch measure while you are waiting for support, you can take the H100i out and shake it. Not scientific and not guaranteed results. Sometimes you can dislodge whatever is clogging the flow, but of course what goes around comes back again and you may wind up in the same spot. However, this might remedy the air bubble issue. Serious performance restricting air bubbles are not common, but it does happen sometimes if you take it down for a fan change or clean. Usually air bubbles at the pump also cause a change in motor pitch and the sound becomes uneven. A more permanent blockage likely has the same consistent tune.

Yes, those are my coolant temps. My 1700 is not overclocked. Stock voltage for me is 1.1875v.

I already took it out yesterday, and shook it. Hence why I could hear the splashing like most of the coolant is gone, or very little left. I'm using a Wraith Max RGB for right now with Kryonaut. I never use stock thermal paste, always apply my own.

Edited by Reinvented

Yeah, it's not a contact or voltage issue. That won't raise the coolant an extra 10-15C. Evaporation to point of detrimental performance is rare. Normally you only see that on multi-year old systems in high heat environments. Either way, you are not responsible for pinning it down. Stress the coolant temperature aspect in the support ticket. Also, presumably it took quite a while for the coolant to come down. The high idle coolant temp is also a strong indicator and differentiates it from environmental or GPU heat related add on effects.

Yeah, it's not a contact or voltage issue. That won't raise the coolant an extra 10-15C. Evaporation to point of detrimental performance is rare. Normally you only see that on multi-year old systems in high heat environments. Either way, you are not responsible for pinning it down. Stress the coolant temperature aspect in the support ticket. Also, presumably it took quite a while for the coolant to come down. The high idle coolant temp is also a strong indicator and differentiates it from environmental or GPU heat related add on effects.

I'm just glad that I had a decent air cooler to run while this gets fixed/taken care of. I'm becoming a bit more disappointed in these AIO's from Corsair.

Hopefully someone with more experience can help them recognize a 20c coolant delta is out of bounds for most all CPUs.

I'm starting to dislike Corsair due to really terrible support.

Still no response to the ticket after explaining my cpu/package temp in relation to the much higher coolant temperature. This is really awful support. I can't believe people have to deal with this kind of crap.

Edited by Reinvented

Stay away from the liquid temp vs package temp line of attack. There are too many weird angles, strange polling rates, and even stranger AMD package temp readings.

Instead focus on the coolant temp in relation your room temp (surely 25C or less). You should not see coolant temps +20C over the room temp. That is usually the sign of a developing problem. Second that with the behavior of the coolant temperature after use. Is it very slow to cool down? Does it start off almost normal at cold boot wake, but keep getting warmer the longer you are up and running? These types of arguments are mostly cooler centered and the only temp probe in play is the one inside the H100i. That is something they have to pay more attention to.

Stay away from the liquid temp vs package temp line of attack. There are too many weird angles, strange polling rates, and even stranger AMD package temp readings.

Instead focus on the coolant temp in relation your room temp (surely 25C or less). You should not see coolant temps +20C over the room temp. That is usually the sign of a developing problem. Second that with the behavior of the coolant temperature after use. Is it very slow to cool down? Does it start off almost normal at cold boot wake, but keep getting warmer the longer you are up and running? These types of arguments are mostly cooler centered and the only temp probe in play is the one inside the H100i. That is something they have to pay more attention to.

There is no strange package temp readings. There's no offset, since it's not an X model. Yes, it starts off at 28c CPU temp, and coolant temp of 35c or so. Definitely takes a while to cool down. I doubt they'll fix it. Seems to just be garbage support.

"You may check on this configuration > BIOS fan control for CPU_FAN is disabled, set to maximum speed or PWM mode . We also have to consider ambient temp or room temperature."

Do they not know their own products? I don't think this has anything to do with V1 of this cooler. It's plugged in via SATA and runs at full speed the whole time.

I have been experiencing a strange temperature spike phenomenon with my H110i GTX, and it has recently been happening more frequently. The coolant temperature will spike up a good 4 to 7 degrees over average for no apparent reason (so it's not nearly as bad as your issue, yet). When I open up my case and give the tubing a wiggle / tap on it, the temperatures start to drop instantly and settle at the usual. Two days later, they start to spike again. I started my RMA process yesterday, we will see how it goes. In the meantime, I am going with the new H115i PRO because I want something quiet, and hopefully more reliable, but only time will tell I guess. Best of luck with your case, hopefully Corsair pulls through for you.

;943120']I have been experiencing a strange temperature spike phenomenon with my H110i GTX' date=' and it has recently been happening more frequently. The coolant temperature will spike up a good 4 to 7 degrees over average for no apparent reason (so it's not nearly as bad as your issue, yet). When I open up my case and give the tubing a wiggle / tap on it, the temperatures start to drop instantly and settle at the usual. Two days later, they start to spike again. I started my RMA process yesterday, we will see how it goes. In the meantime, I am going with the new H115i PRO because I want something quiet, and hopefully more reliable, but only time will tell I guess. Best of luck with your case, hopefully Corsair pulls through for you.[/quote']

They haven't even responded since I asked why I need to change settings in my BIOS, even though it's been at full speed forever. I run a V1, not a V2, so it's not like the header powers anything, and only senses speed. My temp here in southern California is ONLY under 68 degrees and rainy. I'm pretty sure my external temperatures have no bearing on this problem with their defective coolers. I've yet to even see anyone from their support respond here in the forums either. If nothing happens, then I will start filing with the BBB to see if they will do something.