Corsair Community

Don’t know what to make of these tests?

waveform

I have two sticks of Corsair Twinx 3200XMS paired CAS2.0 modules of 512

I am “extremely” careful when I install memory.

I’ve had these sticks for over one year and have never had problems with my system and I still don’t.

Just for the heck of it, I decided to run a test using both Memtest86 3.2 then I tried Memtest Plus 1.5

I can not believe that it found 82 Errors and failing addresses.

How can my system be running so good with this much bad memory? I have opened 800+ MB files in Photoshop with other stuff running using 100% of my memory and nothing has ever crashed. I play hard core games like OFP, Unreal…No crashes. (OS is Win-XP Pro by the way)

This memory is NOT ECC either so shouldn’t I be getting corrupted files or blue screens if my memory had this many errors?

By the way, when I install memory, I always touch the case with the power cord plugged in and I NEVER touch the contacts or chips; I always hold it by the sides. know one else touches this compute but me, I just wanted to be clean on this. How could I be running bad memory for this long without any errors or crashes?

---

My system specs

XP-Pro Spk2

ASUS P4G8X Mother Board/Chipset->Intel-E7205

G-force4 Ti 4800/128

Two Matched Sticks of ram/None other

Hi Wired.

I went into the BIOS and disabled the USB legacy support which was on AUTO, then I exited and saved as you said.

Same deal with the tests, :confused: I’m getting errors in the first 2 min’s of testing. But why is my computer running so good? I’ve been running this copy of windows for over 5 months since the last install of XP and I have no problems what’s so ever.

Is there a special testing program that Corsair recommends using with their module?

I don’t’ know what to think at this point. Any more recommendations?

this is crazy, please hear me out one sec.

Please carefully read what I’m saying here.

---

Ok, I Just tested each chip one by one and the first time one of the chips came up with some bad errors.

-Then I tested the second chip (3 Passes) Not one error.

-Then I put the first chip back in and went (3 Passes) on that on and now that chip is ok! What the hell? :confused:

I DID NOT MIX THEM UP EITHER, BECOUSE I PLACED THE OTHER ONE ON TOP OF THE CASE removing one…by one.

As soon as I put both chips back in I’m getting errors like crazy, Yet Windows XP is running great and has been for 6 months!

Here is something strange though: when I tried to access the Advanced Options menu inside the Mentest86+ program, a window came up saying “Chipset NoT Supported. Yet the web site mentions the E7205 as a supported chipset. /USB legacy was disabled in bios for all tests by the way.

Now, here is quote from the Memtest86 web site.

-----------------------------------

There are some systems that cause Memtest86 to be confused about the size of memory and it will try to test non-existent memory. This will cause a large number of consecutive addresses to be reported as bad and generally there will be many bits in error. If you have a relatively small number of failing addresses and only one or two bits in error you can be certain that the errors are valid.

http://www.memtest86.com/#display

-----------------------------------

Ok guys I don’t know what to think

I don't have another DDR type system to test on,

just an intel III which uses PC133

Someone in another forum mentioned that Windows XP will bypass bad addresses, (Just-Not-Using them) if there are only a few that are bad.

I had a bad stick in a system a few months back and it messed everything up instantly. I was getting corrupted errors and all kinds of funny things happing.

However, On this current system which I’m concerned about. I have not had one error or glitch. According to (Memtest89+ 1.5) I’ve got 83 errors.

But Memtest 89 ver3.2 told me I had over 130 errors. So I don’t know what to believe.

I just don’t want to ship these modules out if there is noting wrong with them. Can’t corsair recommend a specific tester for their memory or another to try?

Archived