Corsair Community

6700k high temps on H80i v2

Culbrelai

CPU is unoverclocked and not overvolted.

Used Noctua NH-1 thermal paste when mounting it. already tried remounting it with no luck in improving temps.

Running a Handbrake encode at 50% CPU load makes it reach 80c @ 1.2

Volts even, which is WAY too high for a supposedly high end liquid cooler. IIRC i got better temps with my Cm Hyper 212 EVO which I replaced and consequently threw out... so i cant retest it.

Got any ideas? The rad is venting out of the top of my Cooler Master Cosmos II which probably has a dozen fans. Pretty upset considering my AX1200 died recently too... starting to question the quality of Corsair...

What is temperature is the cooler getting to?

Also, is this 80C a max temperature or an average temperature? It's usually more helpful to log temperatures during a test run than to focus on the max temperature. Skylake and Kaby Lake are very "spiky" and will show short bursts of hotness, especially if AVX extensions are used. Some of this is due to the silicon lottery, a greater amount is due to the crappy TIM that Intel uses.

And ... since you are running an Asus, the Asus mobos overclock by default. If you are running Multi-Core Boost, that's an overclock. What are your vCore readings during your test (from HWInfo, AIDA or even Link)?