Corsair Community

Windows Mem Diagnostic shows errors...

p0p0k0pf

Alrighty.... after a few errors here and there (primarily during games) I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic (Boot up w/ disk). Results are:

-------------------------

Test Pass#: Test: Cache: Address: Expected: Actual:

1 ERAND On 1e792754 faeca771 faeea771

1 ERAND On 1859a754 83e4f43d 83e6f43d

1 ERAND On 180ba754 ade0a464 ade2a464

1 ERAND On 18e92754 286dc95b 286fc95b

-------------------------

Sort Errors by memory module:

bank0:4

bank1:not populated

bank2:0

bank3:not populated

From what I can discern, my bank 0 stick of TWINX1024-3200XL 512mb stick

is faulty. During the test, 4 errors occurred in that stick alone.

System:

Asus P5P800 MBoard (Intel 865PE 800FSB LGA775 3.0Ghz P4).

Corsair TWINX-3200XL 1GB Kit DDR400 XMS3200 dual-ch. Xtra Low Lat.

WestDig Raptor 36.7GB 10k RPM HD

WinXP SP2 fully updated.

Gainward GeforceFx 5900 Ultra 256MB Vid Card.

Soundblaster Audigy2 Value Sound card.

I would like to proceed to rectify this situation. Since the mem i bought (from zipzoomfly.com on 1/4/05) is a tested pair, will I be returning both sticks if I have to return them?

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the timings manually and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts then test with http://www.memtest.org one at a time. If you do find you have a failing module, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the timings manually and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts then test with http://www.memtest.org one at a time. If you do find you have a failing module, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I reset defaults after loading bios build 1006 and I duplicated the listed test settings for my RAM. The only setting I did not find was Bank interleave. Is this setting known by any other terminology?

I ran memtest 86 v1.5 and still received numerous errors. Is there anything else I can do to confirm this problem?

Thanks for the responses so far---

After more research, I changed the settings manually according to info I found on this site. I have updated the BIOS, and afterwards, memtest displayed a list of 25 errors in the 1st pass, all with err-bit of 00100000. I dont know if that matters, but it was one value that every error had in common. What's next?

• Corsair Employees

Please try these settings set manually and test them one at a time, and if you still get errors please let me know on what test.

Load Setup Defaults:

System Performance: Auto

Pam or PAT or MAM set to AUTO

CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 200 MHz

DRAM Clock: Manually set to 1:1 or 400MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.0T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 Bank

SDRAM VDIMM: 2.85

All other settings are motherboard defaults.

Then please test with http://www.memtest.org.

Using those settings, minus Bank interleave which I could not find, I received 0 errors in 4 passes. If I can only run this 2-2-2-5 mem in 2-3-2-5, is it good or bad memory? The only other different setting was voltage, which I previously had at 2.75. :confused:

Question: Do you know if the following error is a memory problem or a software problem?

Application Error : The instruction at "0x2407bf78" referenced memory at "0xc5202120". The memory could not be "read".

This error is received at the same point in the application time after time. It has occured the same way throughout all the setting changes and tests listed in the previous posts on this thread.

• Corsair Employees
Using those settings, minus Bank interleave which I could not find, I received 0 errors in 4 passes. If I can only run this 2-2-2-5 mem in 2-3-2-5, is it good or bad memory? The only other different setting was voltage, which I previously had at 2.75.

With Intel I865 Springdale chipset we have seen were some MB's using this chipset will just not run with the Rass to Cass set to "2". I would guess as the MB matures they will refine the bios and it may be able to run at these speeds, but I also have no problem replacing your modules if you want to try that.

Application Error : The instruction at "0x2407bf78" referenced memory at "0xc5202120". The memory could not be "read".

There is not enough info to know for sure, but I would suggest testing the modules with http://www.memtest.org to be sure. In addition, can you tell me if this was from windows or from an application and or a related BSOD message?

And can you give a few more details about your system and what you were doing when this happened, and is it a one time error or are you getting this more than once and does it only happen in a certain situation?

I think I'll hold on to the memory for now and see how it pans out- I'm pretty happy with it so far and I'd hate to have my computer down for a while...

The error is displayed on a Window outside of the program, which is Half-Life 2. The game has periodic Load stages where it will load what is ahead as you progress through the game. For me, it happens at one specific point, the same way, regardless of game settings. I have also received similar errors that display a "could not write" problem instead of a "could not read". The 0xXXXXXXXX address changes as well. In my research, I have come across others with this problem, though it happens under different circumstances and with other Valve games.

As far as computer configuration goes, it is the same as listed in this thread, with drivers updated as thoroughly as possible. I have attempted to play the game throughout all the settings changed here, with the same result.

• Corsair Employees
Well I know there have been a few reporting some issues with the game, but I am not that up with it to be specific. As long as you are not having a problem with any other game, I would have to suspect it's likely just a bug in the game. Have you tried looking on the HL2 user forum? And you might try http://www.houseofmobos.com as well there are a few great people there that might have some insight as well.

Archived