Corsair Community

bad stick :-(

iamchris

Okay, so I've been using my computer with the same set-up for almost a year now, and it started acting up recently. I reformatted, and still was freezing constantly. Took out one of my RAM sticks and now it works fine. I tried the stick in the other slots, and it gave me trouble no matter where I put it. I checked my BIOS, and it's the same working settings I had before. It's a CMX512-3200PT (twinx) - 512mb 400mhz xms3200. Thank you.

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

I have a Gigabyte K8VNXP MB and a 3200+ at 2ghz with a FSB of 200mhz. The BIOS settings are all default. I just tried running memtest86 and it restarts my computer on test 5 every time.

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Over Voltage control to +.2 Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

I upped the DIMM over voltage and now everything seems to be working fine...However, I still am not comfortable with this solution. What's going to happen when my stick's quality degrades even more over time? I've already lost many many hours of schoolwork due to the stick not functioning before. It's only a matter of time before it happens again, and I'd rather bypass all the trouble that's going to happen when my stick goes down for good. This temporary solution is also possibly damaging the other stick of RAM I have.

Archived