Corsair Community

Bad VS256MB400

nolly

My machine has started crashing randomly. I have a Gigabyte GA-7N400-L Motherboard and Radeon 9200SE graphics card with a 1.8GHz Duron 266 FSB processor and Windows xp.

Following advice in the forum I ran memtest on my VS256MB400. Tests 1 and 2 are fine. About 10% into test 3 and its errors all the way. I have tried it in all 4 slots with no change. Unfortunately I have no other machine that will take this memory.

I experimented with some settings following other threads in the forum. The best results obtained used an FSB setting of 100MHz, a Dimm voltage setting of +0.1V, an AGP Voltage setting of +0.1V. This had the processor running at 1.35GHz. At these settings memtest showed CAS 2.5-2-2-5. The errors were 1 for test 3 and 7 for test 4.

Any further suggestions before returning it?

Thanks Nolly

• Corsair Employees

Please set the memory Frequency to 100% and set the Dim Voltage to +.2 Volts and set these timings in the bios, then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 100 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

Please set the memory Frequency to 100% and set the Dim Voltage to +.2 Volts and set these timings in the bios, then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

When I set the FSB freq to 100MHz, the CPU Freq 100% and the Dim voltage to +0.2, the CPU freq becomes 1.35GHz, rather than 1.8GHz. Also I presume that the other settings (e.g. tRCD etc) are lost when I cancel memtest.

What is an acceptable number of errors?

Nolly

• Corsair Employees

You should have no errors, and please set the CPU Freq. to 133 Mhz if you have a 133MHz CPU but leave the memory Freq set to 100%.

Memtest will not have any thing to do with the settings you set in the bios. What are the exact setting you have set and what test are you getting errors on?

You should have no errors, and please set the CPU Freq. to 133 Mhz if you have a 133MHz CPU but leave the memory Freq set to 100%.

Memtest will not have any thing to do with the settings you set in the bios. What are the exact setting you have set and what test are you getting errors on?

Thank you. These are my settings:

Dim Voltage: +0.2 Volts

V Core: Normal

AGP: Normal

At these settings there are between 1 and 5 errors on Test 4 on each pass, at different memory locations each time.

Nolly

• Corsair Employees

That is not correct.

If your CPU Freq is 100 MHz and the memory Frequency ratio is set to 100% or 1-1 the resulting memory Frequency should be 100 MHz as well. And you would not be able to run at DDR333 with the CPU FSB at 100 MHz. Sorry but that is a chipset limitation.

That is not correct.

If your CPU Freq is 100 MHz and the memory Frequency ratio is set to 1005 or 1-1 the resulting memory Frequency should be 100 MHz as well. And you would not be able to run at DDR333 with the CPU FSB at 100 MHz. Sorry but that is a chipset limitation.

Sorry - of course - I apologise - I entered the data incorrectly in the forum. Let me try that again.

These are my settings:

FSB Freq: 133 MHz

Dim Voltage: +0.2 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 266MHz

V Core: Normal

AGP: Normal

Yesterday, at these settings there were between 1 and 5 errors on Test 4 on each pass, at different memory locations each time. However, I let memtest run last night on test 4 for 3 hours. It gave constant errors - 18000 after 3 hours. I have started the machine from cold with the same settings and it is giving constant errors on test 4. Help! Any suggestions?

Archived