Corsair Community

Memtest86 shows errors

Kbmitch

I have been consistently getting a BSOD with an IRQL_not_equal_or_less_than error report. Some forums that I am on say this is due to a memory error so I decided to run Memtest86 on my system. About two hours into the test, I got the following report on test 5, pass 20:

Address:00036e379d0 878.4MB Good: ffffffbf Bad:ffffffbe Err-Bits:00000001

count:1

Address:00037e379b0 894.4MB Good: ffffffbf Bad:ffffffbe Err-Bits:00000001

count:1

I am running 1GB of TWINX1024-3200LLPT with settings at 2-3-2-6 and voltage at 2.75 on an Asus P4C800-Deluxe motherboard with a 3.0 Ghz P4 (not over clocked ) and Windows XP Pro. I tried removing the sticks and reseating them as I know dust can affect the contacts. But that did not make any difference. I had some issues when I built the system about a year and a half ago but you were most helpful and I got everything running perfect. It had been that way until about 4 months ago when all of a sudden I had a bad corruption of my RAID 0 hard drives and everything went into the dumper. If this test is correct, it could have been a bad memory stick that caused the corruption. Ever since then, without warning, the dreaded BSOD no matter what program I am running.

Should I run memtest again to see if I get the same or a different error?

How do I know which stick is bad? Since I bought them as a matched pair is that how they would have to be replaced? I need my system stable again!Thanks for your help :(:

• Corsair Employees
When you ran http://www.memtest.org did you disable legacy USB in the bios? If not please disable legacy US and then test the modules one at a time with default voltage and lets make sure one is not failing! If you do find one is failing then let’s get them replaced. But errors in test 5 normally would suggest some other problem, IE failing MB and or PSU.

When you ran http://www.memtest.org did you disable legacy USB in the bios? If not please disable legacy US and then test the modules one at a time with default voltage and lets make sure one is not failing! If you do find one is failing then let’s get them replaced. But errors in test 5 normally would suggest some other problem, IE failing MB and or PSU.

I did not run it the 1st time with the legacy USB disabled. I disabled it and ran it again last night without removing either of the modules and still had errors on test 5 at the same memory locations: 878.4 MB and 894.4 MB. This leads me to believe the problem could be in the 2nd module since it is above 512 MB. Am I correct in thinking this? I am going to run the test tonight with one of the modules removed and then switch them and run it again tommorrow. I will let you know what happens.

• Corsair Employees
No that is not correct with this chipset. With bank interleave it will access both banks of both modules and will not always show it that way. I would swap them arround and see if the address changes if so then I would test them one at a time to isolate that. But if the address does not change that would suggest some other problem.

I ran Memtest on each memory module individually overnight and both checked out ok. I then ran Memtest once again with both installed. No errors. I don't know what happened (maybe a dirty contact?) but it seems ok for the moment. :confused: Thanks for the help! :):

Archived