Corsair Community

Installing H100i V2 in Carbide 400C. Need advice.

merrick97

It generally is a minor difference (1-2C), but there are a fair amount of other variables. The biggest is your GPU. If you have a big watt GPU like a 980 Ti or anything else in the 300W range, your case can get quite warm in prorogued GPU load environments. The top mount radiator can become part of the hot zone if you don't get the heat out the back.

The other one is if the H100i v2 goes on the front intake, do you have another source of intake air? If so (like bottom fans), that there isn't a lot of down side to the front mount. In the 400C where this is not the case, it poses another question. The radiator is going to cut whatever airflow you would normally get in half. That reduces the total air exchange rate by the same amount. You have reduced the airflow capability of the case. Whether this matters is a little too unique to the hardware to make any definitive statements. The best thing to do is try it both ways. Since you don't have to change coolers to try, give it a go.

The last piece is aesthetics. A lot of mid-tower cases tend to have shallow tops these days. That can make the top mounted radiator and fans look a bit heavy or intrusive. You may prefer it on the front, regardless of any minor thermal differences.

Perhaps someone who is a 400C/Q owner can add more to this.

It generally is a minor difference (1-2C), but there are a fair amount of other variables. The biggest is your GPU. If you have a big watt GPU like a 980 Ti or anything else in the 300W range, your case can get quite warm in prorogued GPU load environments. The top mount radiator can become part of the hot zone if you don't get the heat out the back.

The other one is if the H100i v2 goes on the front intake, do you have another source of intake air? If so (like bottom fans), that there isn't a lot of down side to the front mount. In the 400C where this is not the case, it poses another question. The radiator is going to cut whatever airflow you would normally get in half. That reduces the total air exchange rate by the same amount. You have reduced the airflow capability of the case. Whether this matters is a little too unique to the hardware to make any definitive statements. The best thing to do is try it both ways. Since you don't have to change coolers to try, give it a go.

The last piece is aesthetics. A lot of mid-tower cases tend to have shallow tops these days. That can make the top mounted radiator and fans look a bit heavy or intrusive. You may prefer it on the front, regardless of any minor thermal differences.

Perhaps someone who is a 400C/Q owner can add more to this.

From what I gather if you have a blow fan GPU, radiator placement doesn’t matter a whole lot, but if you have a twin fans GPU that blows air into the case then having the radiator at the top is going to lead to a considerably higher CPU temp.

I have a blow fan GPU so it would seem like it matters little.

Oh I don’t plan to do any heavy ovec locking on my 8700k

Reference design GPUs still have a heat radius that can affect their surroundings. Too much variation between the modified cards to make specific generalizations, but there probably is a local temp difference between the front of the case and the top. I have my H115i Pro front mounted at the moment on a 740. I threw my 970x2 in yesterday while I am working on my GPU cooling loop. Coolant temp went up about +3-4C more than normal even with those cards running a light 50%x2 load. In my specific environment, the front placement is actually slightly worse than the top by proximity. Ultimately the question is very 400C specific, but understand it is probably more or less the same either way. I would choose the one you feel comfortable with and at some point swap it and take a look.

Overclocking load won't matter too much. My 8700K is at 5.0GHz and the coolant delta is still 4-6C. Local temp variations and GPU temp influence will be equal or more than that.

At this point I'm leaning towards installing it at the top as an exhaust, I decided that I am just not comfortable with blowing in warm air on my 1070.

BUT I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to whether I can actually even install an H100i v2 on the top of my case. The specs say you can, but I've read that it's no guarantee.

• Corsair Employees
At this point I'm leaning towards installing it at the top as an exhaust, I decided that I am just not comfortable with blowing in warm air on my 1070.

BUT I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to whether I can actually even install an H100i v2 on the top of my case. The specs say you can, but I've read that it's no guarantee.

It's going to be a tight fit but yes, you can technically fit an H100i V2 in a 400C. That said, there are few things that you need take into account, especially the MB layout. Some boards will have higher DIMM slot placement than others, and some have bulky VRM heatsink on the top part of the board that could sometimes cause fitment issue. You just need to be aware on those things. If any of those doesn't pose any issue, then your 400C can easily accommodate an H100i V2 on top of the case.

There is no way to say this, but this has been a colossal disappointment.

No, I could not get the radiator and fans to fit into the top of the case due to the RAM sticks getting in the way and I had to put it in the front, which bothers me since I now have no way to get cooler air to the GPU. I am very disappointed in the 400C, because it was just not as well designed as I was lead to believe. The fit in this thing is toooo tight. I just wish they could have added like another half inch to the top. That would have enabled the radiator to fit barely. I really wanted a setup where I could have 3 fans in the front blowing in cool air, while

I am also pissed at how little room there was in the back of the case to get my HDDs and SSD hooked up. Very tight an unnecessary bending of those.

I am going to look into buying some smaller 120x15mm fans to see if that will maybe give me enought clearance.

• Corsair Employees

I am going to look into buying some smaller 120x15mm fans to see if that will maybe give me enough clearance.

Sorry to hear that you weren't able to make it fit. But this is a good idea, getting some thinner fans would be alternative solution.