Corsair Community

Twinx Extra Low Latency RAM types

alkolkin

There is a Platinum and a non-platinum version of the Twinx. They are:

Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPT 1GB Kit DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel Xtra-Low Latency Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader

and

Corsair TWINX1024-3200XL 1GB Kit DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel Xtra-Low Latency Memory w/Black Heat Spreader

OR alternatively

What about the Corsair TWINX1024-4400C25PT 1GB Kit DDR550 XMS4400 Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader

It wil be in an ASUS A8N-SLI with an AMD 64 4000+

Which should I buy and why?

Platinum or black, it does'nt matter, same RAM.

The 3200XL will give the best performance.

The 4400C25 would be best if you plan to OC.

Thank you. Is the main function of the 4400C25 to allow you to increase the FSB? I plan to use an AMD 64 4000+, does that make a difference? Which speeds can I get the most bank for the buck when I overclock for gaming?

As you can tell, I am an EXTREME Newbee and a budding enthusiast.

Al

Well the 3200s are rated @ 400 Mhz, the 4000s are rated @ 450 Mhz, and the 4400s are rated @ 275 Mhz, IIRC.

I am a newbe, so please be gentle and use fewer abbreviations. I know Mhz, but it uses greater latencies so the Mhz is not the only thing I should look at, right? It seems to me, if I use the 3200 XL, it will be the fastest unless I want to overclock the FSB a lot, right? Why would I want to OC the FSB a lot? The 3200XL is capable of mild OC, right? The Asus A8N does do some automatic mild OC so I would get the greatest bank for the buk with those, right?

:confused:

I know Mhz, but it uses greater latencies so the Mhz is not the only thing I should look at, right?

Mhz = Megahertz. Has nothing directly to do with latencies, if I'm understanding what you said correctly.

I have never heard that the A8N does overclocking by itself. Now it has have the capability to overclock, but I have never heard that it automatically overclocks systems by default. 3200XLs have been known to overclock by 25% (450 Mhz or more), but of course this isn't a guarantee. Overclocking the FSB is the main way some people overclock.

@ = at

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

Mhz = Megahertz. Has nothing directly to do with latencies, if I'm understanding what you said correctly.

I have never heard that the A8N does overclocking by itself. Now it has have the capability to overclock, but I have never heard that it automatically overclocks systems by default. 3200XLs have been known to overclock by 25% (450 Mhz or more), but of course this isn't a guarantee. Overclocking the FSB is the main way some people overclock.

@ = at

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

Thank you for the definition of IIRC. So many used it and I could never figure it out. :laughing:

The ASUS MB has an overclocking mode called AI NOS that will overclock by as much as 10%. It can be set in the BIOS as can manual overclocking.

With regard to FSB OC, what is the affect of increasing the speed of the FSB? I presume that it means that data going to the CPU gets there more quickly, but what affect does that have in game playing? :confused:

NO problemo about the IIRC. Here's a longer one:

ROFLMFFAOWPIMP :) Made that one up 12 years ago :)

I'm about to go to sleep, so this may be a little bit of a wonky response, but here goes:

the quicker data gets around, quicker CPU and GPU (video card processor, stands for Graphics Processing Unit) have access to info. Ummm.... there's more to it, but I can't type anymore :) I'll be back later, or someone else will probably fill in my babble :)

NO problemo about the IIRC. Here's a longer one:

ROFLMFFAOWPIMP :) Made that one up 12 years ago :)

I'm about to go to sleep, so this may be a little bit of a wonky response, but here goes:

the quicker data gets around, quicker CPU and GPU (video card processor, stands for Graphics Processing Unit) have access to info. Ummm.... there's more to it, but I can't type anymore :) I'll be back later, or someone else will probably fill in my babble :)

LOL Now you are going to make me crazy trying to figure that ROFLMFFAOWPIMP one. OK, I will try later. By the way, I am in West Palm and have a small rental house in Mount Dora, so we are practically neighbors.

I think that I will stick with the 3200XL for now, and later do a comparison to the 4400C25 in real life work to see what happens.

Nighty Night. :D:

Al

One day I'm going to make a T-shirt that says something like:

"I skiied down Mt. Dora" or

"I climbed Mt. Dora"

Back when the hurricanes hit I really wanted to make one that said:

"I survived 3 hurricanes and all I have left is this lousy t-shirt!"

One day I'm going to make a T-shirt that says something like:

"I skiied down Mt. Dora" or

"I climbed Mt. Dora"

Back when the hurricanes hit I really wanted to make one that said:

"I survived 3 hurricanes and all I have left is this lousy t-shirt!"

LOL Unfortunately, there already is a T-shirt that says "I climbed Mt. Dora". However, the Tornado that went through Mt. Dora could have spawned a T-shirt that says "I surved the Mt. Dora Tornedo and afterwards could only afford this lousy T-shirt!" Cute town dispite the jokes, but except for the wonderfuil craft shows, much too quiet.

Agreed. Some nice restaurants there too. Some relatives of mine occasionally go to their craft shows and bring back some wierd stuff, eheh.

Off topic: one of those same relatives just bought a traffic light. Uh huh. a traffic light. bought it from the cops @ a charity event a couple of days ago, 50 bucks. They're gonna wire it up out on their deck. I took some pics of it. Can't wait to see it working lol!

Loved the fact that the paths of all 3 tornados crossed at one single point: Disney. Posted the attached pic @ another forum I help moderate right before Charley hit. The name Transio that's written in that pic is another mod of that site that's in the miami area.

145PMESTCHARLEY.thumb.JPG.8f884a346bc5ceb5a40e4e74d5e88c48.JPG

Agreed. Some nice restaurants there too. Some relatives of mine occasionally go to their craft shows and bring back some wierd stuff, eheh.

Off topic: one of those same relatives just bought a traffic light. Uh huh. a traffic light. bought it from the cops @ a charity event a couple of days ago, 50 bucks. They're gonna wire it up out on their deck. I took some pics of it. Can't wait to see it working lol!

Loved the fact that the paths of all 3 tornados crossed at one single point: Disney. Posted the attached pic @ another forum I help moderate right before Charley hit. The name Transio that's written in that pic is another mod of that site that's in the miami area.

Most of the parts to my dream machine have arrived. I am still missing the Asus EN6800 -- it is on back order and I should receive it in about a week or so. I also need the Saitek X52 Digital Joy Stick, speakers, and sound card, but they may come today.

Now I have to face the music and start putting it all together. The number of parts is intimidating, but I am patient and have access to lots of online help.

The Dream Machine will comtain the following parts.

Performance-PC modified Lian Lia 1200B with Window
Antec True Control 500 modded into purple acrylic case
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athalon 64 4000+
Corsair Twinx1024 2-2-2-5 latencies
Zalman 7700 Cu Heatsink and Fan
2 Raptor 74GB drives in Raid 0
Mitsumi 7 in 1 Floppy and flash card reader
2 Plextor Dual layer 716ASA DVD in Serial ATA form
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
Logitech Z-5500 Digital Speakers
Asus Nvidia 6800 Ultra PC-Express graphics (SLI capable)
Logitech LX1000 Laser mouse
Saitek PC Gamer's keyboard
Saitek X52 Digitial Joy Stick
Lots of lights, lots of prayers, and $3,866!

Kicking, eh?

Archived