Corsair Community

Corsair H100i V2 Pump failure after 8 months.

Sp4wN

Hi everyone,

First things first, today when I boot up my PC, it shutdown directly after getting in to Windows, I couldn’t see what went wrong, when I started again it went directly to Bios warning about my CPU temperature being high, when I went to Asus UEFI the pump speed was not showing anything.

Here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/MV7WGX

The cooler is not updated on PC Partpicker but I am using H00i v2 right now.

In short my system:

OPERATING SYSTEM: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core

CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i v2

MOTHERBOARD: Asus STRIX Z270G Micro ATX LGA1151

MEMORY: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000

BOOT DRIVE: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 SSD

VIDEO CARD: XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB GTR

CASE: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower

POWER SUPPLY: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX

As you can see in the pictures my build is pretty tight with cable management and I have to remove the motherboard to replace the CPU cooler. So I was not happy with this, especially after 8 months of usage.

I didn’t use the original Corsair fan, but I went for push pull configuration with 4 Vardar fans.

So I removed the H100i v2 and put back my old CRYORIG H7, everything is working fine now, but it is really loud, I went for H100i for noise reducing.

I went to my electronics lab and put the H100i v2 on a power supply to see if there is a current draw and some pump noise. Unfortunately I couldn’t hear anything from the pump and current draw was only 45mA.

A1Syetu.jpg

gO7rKtU.jpg

Does anyone know what current the Pump should pull, or am I testing wrong? 12v directly on the pump header should work, but if it is wrong please explain how it should be tested.

This is how LINK was configured:

ExdKRcP.jpg

And how H100i v2 was mounted with Vardar fans:

iyObYH5.jpg

Dh5chWC.jpg

Any suggestion is welcome before I open a ticket, I want to be sure that the pump is dead, unfortunately I can’t read the pump RPM in LINK since the computer shuts down after a second when it enters Windows, only way to check is Asus UEFI and it was showing no RPM’s.

Thanks in advance!

I would guess that the pump is dead. As long as it's connected to the CPU Fan header, that will report the pump speed x 2. If it's zero, then the pump isn't working.

Some questions/comments:

1) Was the fan header set to 100%/full speed in the BIOS? If not, then the pump may not be dead but wasn't getting enough power. The fan header that it's connected to need to supply a full 12V at all times.

2) Were all 4 fans connected to the fan header on the pump via splitters? What's the amperage rating on each of those fans? (Should be on a sticker on the back).

Some questions/comments:

1) Was the fan header set to 100%/full speed in the BIOS? If not, then the pump may not be dead but wasn't getting enough power. The fan header that it's connected to need to supply a full 12V at all times.

2) Were all 4 fans connected to the fan header on the pump via splitters? What's the amperage rating on each of those fans? (Should be on a sticker on the back).

Answer 1) Yes I have pump header on the motherboard and it was set on DC at 100% (=12v) in UEFI

Answer 2) I understand your concern and that is, all fans pulling to much current from the pump header, Vardar F4-120ER fans are each 180mA which makes 720mA, but they are split with a GELID PWM 1-to-4 Splitter so basically the fans are getting power directly from power supply and PWM driven with the H100i

Here a link to the splitter I am talking about it makes easier to understand what I am talking about.

Everything was working fine last 8 months, it just suddenly stop working, to be honest, with my electronics back ground I think it is the pump which failed. The other question is, do I want to put another H100i in there and wait till it fails again, I did read couple topics here with pump failures and I don't feel save anymore.

That splitter should handle the power delivery so that's good.

Just trying to make sure that we cover all of the bases here ... I don't want to assume anything. Like I said, my gut instinct was that it was a pump failure as well.

And yes, if you read this forum, you'd think that 95% of the Corsair pumps out there fail. While I don't have any numbers on pump failures, RMAs or the like, I doubt - highly - that the failure rate is any higher than it is for any other AIO vendor. But people with working installations that run just fine rarely, if ever, come to the forum. We only see the problems here. People that have had coolers running for years without any issue never seem to post new threads. Go figure ...

It's kinda like watching the evening news ... if you didn't know any better, you'd think that you couldn't walk down the street in the US without hearing gunfire. But that's just not true (and I live in Texas). Bad news is news ... good news? Meh ... no one cares.

Personally, I've had 1 pump fail of 4 Corsair AIOs that I've had over the past 2 or so years. That was replaced under RMA. The rest - including the oldest one, an H80i V2 - are running just fine. And that one failure was likely at least partly my fault for not powering it correctly.

And yes, if you read this forum, you'd think that 95% of the Corsair pumps out there fail. While I don't have any numbers on pump failures, RMAs or the like, I doubt - highly - that the failure rate is any higher than it is for any other AIO vendor. But people with working installations that run just fine rarely, if ever, come to the forum. We only see the problems here. People that have had coolers running for years without any issue never seem to post new threads. Go figure ...

It's kinda like watching the evening news ... if you didn't know any better, you'd think that you couldn't walk down the street in the US without hearing gunfire. But that's just not true (and I live in Texas). Bad news is news ... good news? Meh ... no one cares.

I understand that totally, that's the way I think about the factory forums, most people come here for solutions, so that make the failure count higher than people posting how great the product is. Just like I did now with my post, I have also a Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM, and I love it, really great build quality and nice keyboard, but I never had the intention to come here and tell people how great it is :D:

Anyways, thanks for the heads up, I am bit cooled down my self and opened a ticket, if it gets replaced I will put it in my computer again and we will see, I wish I had used another case to make things easier, every time removing the motherboard and cable management is pain.

I understand that totally, that's the way I think about the factory forums, most people come here for solutions, so that make the failure count higher than people posting how great the product is. Just like I did now with my post, I have also a Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM, and I love it, really great build quality and nice keyboard, but I never had the intention to come here and tell people how great it is :D:

Anyways, thanks for the heads up, I am bit cooled down my self and opened a ticket, if it gets replaced I will put it in my computer again and we will see, I wish I had used another case to make things easier, every time removing the motherboard and cable management is pain.

Which K95 do you have? With the Cherry Brown or the Speed? I'm considering one sometime in the near future ... probably going to go for the Brown for the better typing feel.

And ... one more note: I keep an air cooler handy as backup. I have 4 systems with AIOs. There is one that can go down without causing issues (my 8 year old might whine but she'l live) ... the other 3 have to be running all the time.

I got the Cherry Brown version, since I type a lot it was better choice.

Before the H100i I was running a CRYORIG H7 with a Enermax fan on it, so I could put that back on and run again. I don't need a lot performance from my computer all I want is powerful and silent PC, for that reason I changed the original Corsair fans to 4 Vardars, I also delidded my CPU and used Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra between the CPU die and IHS.

To be honest I like the H7 with Enermax fan on it, here a video from back when I was finished my build:

[ame]

[/ame]