Corsair Community

Fans both on top and bottom of radiator for Hydro?

dcx4610

This is my case...

DSC_5905.jpg

I just installed a Corsair Hydro H115i exactly as shown in the case. I have the fans exhausting out to the top.

Now the question. In the large area at the top not shown in the picture are also 2 200mm fans which normally exhaust as well.

DSC_5215.jpg

So the set up looks like Corsair fans > Radiator > Thermaltake fans.

Will having the Hydro exhaust through the radiator to another set of exhaust fans cause a problem? Should I keep it as-is or should I remove the fans at the top and just let the Hydro do all of the work?

Edited by dcx4610

You can leave them. I am not sure how much they’ll help, but they are not likely to hinder performance. Generally pressure is cumulative between stacked sets of fans, but 200mm fans are not particularly strong in that area. Just let the 200s run naturally and set the 140s using the Link software.

I don’t recognize the case, but if that is a dome top with side venting, the 200s may help get the air out of that zone. That does have value.

Edited by c-attack

I had a similar setup option in my previous case. Personally, I found that the 200mm fan, even at full speed, actually made things worse. I'm not entirely sure why ... maybe the top 200mm fan just couldn't push enough air and actually caused back pressure? That said, the radiator temperature difference, IIRC, was around 1C, so it wasn't much. But it was definitely better without the top 200mm fan.

Try both with and without. Do an extended load test so that your radiator gets to its maximum temperature. Whichever option has lower radiator temperatures is going to be your winner.