Corsair Community

Corsair H115i Question

fliersrr

What would happen if I hooked my radiator fans to the motherboard and not to the H115i unit?

Why I would like to do this is I have used 3 pin fans instead of the stock 4 pin fans. This causes them to run full speed all the time.

I know if I hook these 3 pin fans to the motherboard the bios will control the speed just fine. The motherboard bios knows if the fans hooked to it are 3 pin or 4 pin.

I just don't know how the H115i will feel about not having any fans hooked to it? What will Corsair Link feel about this either?

Thank you

It's fine and if you are going to use 3 pin DC fans this is a much better approach than enduring maximum speed at all times. You'll need to pick a control variable in the BIOS. If your board has a temp probe board socket, you can run a 10K thermistor to the other side of the radiator and measure its exhaust temp. This will mimic the coolant temp you normally run from in Link. The other obvious option is CPU temp. My experience on Asus boards is mixed. Often the BIOS and/or AI Suite will ignore the programmed delays I set for the CPU/OPT headers. On a Kaby Lake CPU, that is going to make for some very racy fans and the cores shoot up and down constantly. You might be able to get around this by connecting the radiator fans to a CHA header instead. Those have a different behavior profile than CPU and its copycat OPT, which can only be set to CPU temp. Either way, something needs to be on CPU fan to boot, either fans or the pump header. While not supplying power, the H115i lead will still give you a reading to indicate the pump is running.