Corsair Community

Cooling Advice...

DarthAdrian

Hey Everyone,

I currently have a Corsair H100i V2 and an i7-7700k. At base frequency it hits 30sC idle and 60sC under load. However I overclocked it to 5.0GHz and when playing intense games the temps get upto 90C which forced me to bring the clock speed down to 4.5GHz. I want to get a new cooler so that I can comfortably overclock to 5.0GHz.

I don't have any good thermal paste (the one now is just the pre applied stuff) and I'm thinking of getting the Corsair H150i Pro in a Push/Pull. My case is a Corsair 570X, so I cant put a 280mm on top.

Maybe I should just delid my CPU?

Please advise on what I should do!

Thanks a bunch...

First, what's your voltage at 5.0 GHz? That has the most impact on your temperatures. If you can reduce that a but and still run stable, that's your easiest path. It will involve some experimentation. Auto overclock settings are going to give you a LOT of voltage and a LOT of heat.

Second ... better thermal paste may help, but the biggest reduction that you'll see in your core temps is by delidding; there's just no two ways around it. The more resistance there is to getting the heat out of the core, through the IHS and then to the coldplate, the higher your core temps will be. Delidding my 7700K reduced my load temps at stock clocks by a full 20C - same cooler, same TIM, everything.

As above... but if you are looking to change the cooler anyway, the H150i is a worthy upgrade to the H100i v2. You can run push pull if you want, but even with single sided 3x120 you can better coolant temps than you have now with less fan speed. Keep in mind the cooler can only make the coolant temp delta smaller. It won't help with voltage related CPU temp spikes, which is likely what you are seeing. Those need to be addressed through the BIOS.