Corsair Community

Need to troubleshoot some H100i V2 issues...

son_of_a_beach

So I guess I should have posted here a lot earlier, like a year ago, but I downloaded Specky the other week and noticed my temps were higher than they should be. Cores were running relatively hot at 55/60C at 5% load. Anyways, I went into the BIOS and released the cooler from it, then made a LINK profile to run the pump and fan at performance. This brought down the temps to around 35/40C, but it didn't really resolve the "buzzing" issue I'm having that's coming from the pump.

Edit: Err, meant cooler not pump.

I have a C70 case and the H100i is mounted on the top. I heard a common solution to the buzzing sound is to plug the H100i fans directly into the MoBo. Can anybody confirm?

While on the subject of cooling, I'm also looking to maximize air flow in the C70. Right now I only have the default fans inside. If I was to buy some more system fans, or reconfigure the current ones, well... What's the most optimal way to set them up inside the case with a H100i positioned on top. Which fans should be blowing in and out?

Released the cooler from the BIOS?? You might need to clarify that.

The buzz is more likely the pump, so moving the fans off the pump controller will not help.

With a C70 and the H100i likely on the top as exhaust, there aren't too many other configuration options. In through the front, out through the top and rear. The only thing you can really do is run fast fan speeds with fans that are not quite so irritating at those higher speeds. This can be explored further, but I would say the cooler issue takes priority.

Released the cooler from the BIOS?? You might need to clarify that.

Ah, I followed a guide that had me change the settings so that the BIOS didn't control my fan and pump speeds on auto, then made a custom profile in LINK4.

The buzz is more likely the pump, so moving the fans off the pump controller will not help.

Played around with the speeds and I'm 90% sure it's the fans. This is especially apparent when I lay the case flat on the floor, the buzzing goes away. When the case is tilted at about ~65 degrees, the buzzing is especially loud.

Edited the OP, just noticed I said pump there, I meant the cooler as a whole.

OK, disabling or otherwise setting the BIOS fan control to 100% is essential on the H100i v2. I suspected that is what you meant, which also why I asked about the pump. You have been running the pump at sub-standard speed for some time. At normal full power, you might notice it. You can leave it set to Quiet, which should be about 2000 rpm in Link.

I don't like the SP120L grey fans much so I am all for changing them, however I would suggest first unplugging them from the pump block to make sure that is what you are hearing. It is possible one of yours is really toppling on its spindle end, something that would go away to some degree when not inverted. Still stop the fans to make sure.

As for increased airflow, what fans are currently installed? On a C70 I think the easier solution is more fans rather than faster speeds, but lets see what is in the box. My standard recommendation is 2x120 front, 1x120 bottom as intake. The top 2x120 on the radiator and 1x120 rear as exhaust. You should be able to keep the 3 intake fans at medium speeds. Lots of mesh in the C70 and that should be enough to help push excess waste heat out the back, passively and through the exhaust.

OK ... first ... the H100i V2 gets its power from the fan header. The fan header does not control the fan speeds or the pump speeds. In "releasing" the cooler from the BIOS, you finally gave the pump the power that it needs to properly operate. It's likely that your pump speeds were very low and entirely possible that the fans weren't running at all.

Putting the fans on the motherboard header won't resolve any "buzzing". I don't know where you are getting this information. The only thing that will do is prevent you from controlling the fan speeds by the coolant temperature, which is the proper thing to do.

Both topics are covered in the cooler FAQ, linked in my signature.

Now that your fan is properly powered, what are the temps that you are seeing for the H100i V2? (Not your CPU temps, the cooler temp reading in Link.) And what profile do you have the fans on?

From there ... my guess is that the buzzing is from vibration from the fans, going through your case. If you unplug the fans from the cooler, does it stop? (Note: do not do this for an extended period of time but only as an experiment.) I have a stock fan on one of my H100i V2's that just started doing this; I know it's the fan and I'm planning on replacing it soon. In the meantime, I've kept it on the quiet profile and that mitigates the issue quite a bit.

I don't like the SP120L grey fans much so I am all for changing them, however I would suggest first unplugging them from the pump block to make sure that is what you are hearing. It is possible one of yours is really toppling on its spindle end, something that would go away to some degree when not inverted. Still stop the fans to make sure.

Will try unplugging later (can't right now for reasons of cat) but based on switching the profile in Link4 from quiet to performance and then to max, it's definitely the fans. Playing with the water pump settings yields literally no changes in noise or buzzing/rattling.

I guess it's more of a rattle now that I think about it.

As for increased airflow, what fans are currently installed?

Just what came with the case and the cooler. I believe I have two intake fans on the hard drive bays, one exhaust fan on the rear, the H100i also exhausts, and I believe the PSU does the same.

On a C70 I think the easier solution is more fans rather than faster speeds, but lets see what is in the box. My standard recommendation is 2x120 front, 1x120 bottom as intake. The top 2x120 on the radiator and 1x120 rear as exhaust. You should be able to keep the 3 intake fans at medium speeds. Lots of mesh in the C70 and that should be enough to help push excess waste heat out the back, passively and through the exhaust.

Copy. I was thinking about removing one of the hard drive bays and purchasing an AF fan to throw in there. Now that you mentioned putting one on the bottom, I may get two, but my computer is on a carpet surface, so I'm not really sure how much air can squeeze through the bottom.

Also, I just bought two of these to replace the H100i fans with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C249QNE

Those should do, correct?

Playing with the water pump settings yields literally no changes in noise or buzzing/rattling.

I guess it's more of a rattle now that I think about it.

Good. Fans are easy to replace. The other condition is a chronic irritant. Yes, rattle I understand. The word buzz is the electrical hum that goes with a bad pump. No longer concerned about this aspect.

Also, I just bought two of these to replace the H100i fans with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C249QNE

Those should do, correct?

I would cancel it if you can. Yes, they look nice, but that is the exact same fan you are removing, just without the pretty ring. It will sound the same, although hopefully without the rattle. The better choice would be the ML120 Pro. A different bearing type will do lots to relieve the very common grind when using inverted top fans.

Yes, the carpet could be an issue but it the easiest way to get air in. How many drives are in the front cages? If the lower one is blocked, you won't move much air from there, which is why I suggested the bottom fans. However, before we get too deep into this, you might describe any temperature issues you are having. It would be silly to make too many changes if there are no problems to deal with. The normal 2 in front/3x120 out top/back may do it for a lot users.

I second the recommendation on the ML fans. They are gloriously quiet compared to the stock fans. If you get them in the two pack (https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Premium-Magnetic-Levitation-2-Pack/dp/B01G5I6MRK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517537993&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+ml120), they are a little less expensive, though they don't have the rubber dampers.

If you have them handy, it's possible that rubber washer may help a bit with the noise. I doubt that they will eliminate it but, at this point, they can't hurt.

• 3 weeks later...
I would cancel it if you can. The better choice would be the ML120 Pro. A different bearing type will do lots to relieve the very common grind when using inverted top fans.

I second the recommendation on the ML fans. They are gloriously quiet compared to the stock fans. If you get them in the two pack (https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Premium-Magnetic-Levitation-2-Pack/dp/B01G5I6MRK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517537993&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+ml120), they are a little less expensive, though they don't have the rubber dampers.

If you have them handy, it's possible that rubber washer may help a bit with the noise. I doubt that they will eliminate it but, at this point, they can't hurt.

Okay, so I returned the SP120's and bought the ML120's.

The noise difference is incredible, the max setting is running quieter than the performance setting used to.

One thing I did notice while replacing the fans is just how dusty the radiator got.

How often do you guys clean it up, and what's a good way of getting all the dust out?

Archived