Corsair Community

Can't replace fan on an H100i

Ackapus

I purchased an H100i cooler for a new rig a couple years ago, and it's been fine until a few weeks ago when one of the fans started chirping and seizing up. I stuck it out for a bit (as my CPU temp was always decent) but then I noticed the temp climbing to 70C and above, so I went to change them. Got a pair of premium Corsair fans of the kind on the H100i v2, and plugged them in. The PC didn't even stay on for two minutes. It seems with the new fans, the pump doesn't run- the radiator and hoses are cool, but the CPU head and even the pump plate are burning hot. Even with the fans disconnected (having a push-pull, there's still two case fans above the block to push air through) the pump doesn't seem to work.

Put the old fans, including the failing one, back on, and the system's fine. At least until I try playing Civ 6 with something else running in the background again. Those turns just take so long....

Do these pumps shut off if too much power is drained? Do they expect a specific type of fan? Initially I was worried because the new fans have 4-pin plugs and the old ones that came with the unit were 3-pin, but the sockets on the pump head are 4-pin. The fan's don't work unless both are plugged into the pump head, either.

What am I doing wrong? Besides not paying enough attention off-turn to Civ 6...

Differences between fan models should have very limited effect on temperature. If things feel hot on the cooler, that suggests some type of flow problem. The fan issue seems odd, but may not be related. It is possible taking the radiator down to change them again dislodged what every was restricting the flow, but we shall see.

While on the desktop, open Link. What is your H100i Temp in the cooler box? What happens to this value when under load/gaming?

The H100i is SATA powered and the pump runs a constant speed. What does Link show for the pump? Is it possible the SATA connection pulled out a little on the fan change?

Yes, 4 pin PWM fans should work on the H100i. I am confused about the stock fans being 3 pin. They should not have been and that would cause them to run at max all the time.

Are you running push pull with all 4 fans from the H100i pump block? If so, you need to be extremely careful about current load. That generation of H80i/H100i was prone to fan controller failure if pushed to the maximum current (1.0A).

• Corsair Employees
and hoses are cool, but the CPU head and even the pump plate are burning hot.

There is a pretty good chance that your pump is either not getting power, or its simply dead, hence the pump block is hot due to no liquid circulation.

Do what c attack suggested, check your pump's rpm in Corsair Link and see if its running. If its showing 0 rpm, then I would check SATA connector. If its seated properly and still no pump movement, next step would is to get a replacement via RMA.

Well... I don't have Corsair Link set up... The unit came with a Link cable that was incompatible with the pump head. For that matter, the Y-link doesn't plug into the pump head anywhere either. I figured that since the fans could plug in directly the cables were superfluous.

The push-pull only has two fans on the pump head- the two that came with it. The other two are 220's for the case.

Right now the computer's been running and stable, bad fan nonwithstanding. The bad fan has since stopped spinning.

You know, based on those pictures, it is most certainly a H100, and NOT an H100i.

The manual it came with was for an H100i. No wonder it didn't make much sense.

So this mean there's a reason why the pump doesn't run if I plug a new pair of fans into it?

The mismatched mini USB and 3 pin fans suggested something was amiss. The H100 did come with 3 pin fans. Seems like someone combined pieces from the two different coolers.

Unfortunately, the original H100 was before I was using Corsair stuff and I don't know much about the technical specifications. It might possible connecting an improper fan pinout was causing the pump power to shut down in protection, but we need someone with more experience with that series. Short term solution could be to connect your new fans to the motherboard and use standard BIOS/software fan control. You don't have to use the pump fan controller.

Well, as it turns out, this thing was purchased from Tiger Direct five years and three months ago. Corsair's warranty is five years, right? However, it was billed as a standard H100 on their website, and its images reflect my product. It just came with a manual entitled H100i with a bag of parts that reflected what was in the manual, and instructions that did not reflect the design of the pump.

So, I can plug the fans into the mobo headers for CPU and CPU optional, do I just leave the pin from the pump hanging? Or leave the pump as is and plug the fans directly into power cables?

I would plug them into CPU and CPU_OPT. The challenge is going to be controlling them properly; the best temperature source for them is going to be the pump temperature, which is the default for the cooler. CPU Temperature will work; if your motherboard supports it, set the fan hysteresis (delay) as it'll take longer for the coolant to both warm up and cool down than the CPU.

OK, but the pump itself still has what I assume is a controller line that's plugged into the CPU Fan header now. Does this not control the pump speed? If it does, does the pump run at a set speed when this isn't plugged in?

If I can let this wire hang and have the pump run with the fans on the mobo headers, that's great! I can run with that. But if the pump doesn't run I really don't want to have to take the head off the CPU, clean it, re-paste it, and re-attach to find out.

I'm a little confused about exactly which cooler you have now. If it is SATA powered, then that fan header serves only to give the CPU fan header a tach signal, preventing a CPU fan warning at boot. It does not control the pump.

If your pump does not have a SATA connector, then that fan header provides power as well as the above. You need to set it to 100%/full speed to ensure that it gets the full 12V of power.

The pump head has a three-wire ribbon cable that comes out of it. The ribbon splits two of those wires off into a standard Molex power socket, which I've got plugged straight directly into a lead from the PSU. The third wire goes into a single pin socket, like the leads from the front panel, that the instructions said goes on the third pin of the CPU header.

There were no cables with a SATA type connector in the kit, and the Molex power cable doesn't detach from the pump.

It was only this last generation of cooler (GT/GTX/v2) with an adjustable pump speed. All prior models had one pump speed and they need a full 12v. Presumably, the molex to PSU is your 12v. The 1 pin lead to board is for reporting speed. I do not remember if the H100 reports fan speed or pump speed.