Corsair Community

Cmx512-4400c25pt

jackilpb

Hi I have the 1GB TwinX kit. I'm having problems with it, I think. I have an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard, an incredible 2.4GHz that will run dual channel at 290MHz at default volts, and an OCZ 600 Powerstream. I am getting errors with this memory at default settings. I have it set to 275MHz CL2.5-4-4-8 @ 2.85v It will run windows but when I try to start a game it locks and crashes. Without changing any settings I can put some "other" brand memory in and it runs like a champ. The "other" memory is running Samsung TCCD memory chips, which I think the XMS4400v1.1 is also. Like I said I know that my CPU is rock solid up to 290MHz 1:1 in dual channel. After that I have to go down to single channel mode to get more. The CPU runs fine at 300MHz @ default voltage. I called tech support and he wanted me to increase the voltage to my CPU. I thought that was rediculous and emailed him a screenshot of my CPU running dual channel at 290MHz 1:1. Do you think this memory is bad or is there any other suggestions you can think of?

Thanks

I tried the memory with the VDIMM at Auto and got the same results, that's when I decided to increase the voltage. What will runnning one stick at a time do for me? Even if I could get each individual stick to run at 300MHz, it would defeat the purpose of having a dual channel kit. Plus if only one stick is bad, I would still have to exchange both sticks for a matched set, right?

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX1024 or TwinX512-4400C25

Advanced/Jumper Free

AI over clocking: Manual

CPU Freq: 200

DRAM Clock: 400 MHz

AGP/PCI/CPU Freq: 66/33

CPU Voltage: You need to set this at the correct settings.

Memory or Dim Reference voltage: 2.85 Volts

System performance: AUTO

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

Advanced/Chipset

Configure Dram timing by SPD: Disabled/User define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

SDRAM Burst Length: 8

Memory Acceleration Mode: Auto

USB Legacy Support: Disabled

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

CPU Voltage: You need to set this at the correct settings.

By that I hope you mean default/auto. That's what I have it set to always. So far, I've ran memtest86+ v1.50 without error at the settings provided above. I ran each stick in slot 1. I was only able to run the tests 1 time each and I will do more tonight when I get home from work. Out of curiousity, why did you want me to run it at 200Mhz instead of 275MHz and why did you want the settings at 2.5-3-3-8 instead of 2.5-4-4-8?

thanks

• Corsair Employees
The setting should be 2.5/4/4/8, sorry for the typo error, 400MHz will be the default for the memory, and 200 for the CPU, as soon as you increase the CPU FSB from 200 to 275MHz i.e. then basically that will automatically increase the speed of the memory and run in to a 1:1 ratio. Now as far as the CPU voltage goes; having the CPU at 250MHz or below the AUTO or Default setting with voltage should be okay with it, but we strongly suggest setting it at the correct voltage setting if the CPU FSB goes 251MHz and above.

I understand the ratio settings and how the FSB and MEM speed work. I was just curious as to why you wanted me to test the memory at 200MHz (400DDR)? Also, above 251MHz you suggest manually setting the voltage? If you mean manually setting it to the default voltage of 1.48v ~ 1.5v then I don't have a problem with that. However, I will not overvolt my CPU just because the memory won't work. When I talked to the Tech support guy, he wanted me to set my CPU voltage to 1.65v. That was absolutely rediculous since my CPU has proven to run faster than 275MHz with the memory at 1:1, 100% solid with other memory. But, he couldn't get past the CPU voltage issue, so to satisfy him I ran it at 1.65v and it still locked up at 275MHz(550DDR) when I tried to load a game. I have a hefty swiftech heatsink with a 80x80x36 fan so I'm not concerned with heat, but I refuse to run the CPU above default voltage "IF" I get no benefit from doing so.

Archived