Corsair Community

Commander Pro not detected Z270-I

ftln94220

Hi guys,

My first post here, so go easy on me please :)

I have just received a Commander Pro and upon installation it does not get detected in the Link software.

Strange thing is though that the H115i that is plugged in to the usb dock on it is detected and works fine, the fans are spinning also which are connected the Commander Pro.

I quickly pulled it out of the system and tried it on another older system I have and guess what, it works fine !

So I did a firmware upgrade on it in Link and then put it back in my new system, still not detected.

I downloaded SIV and had a look at the usb devices and this is what I have :

Commander_pro.jpg

Any ideas on what I should do ?

Motherboard is a Z270-I freshly installed windows (installed again incase it was windows playing up) and I have made sure not to install any Asus software.

First, make sure that you update the USB drivers.

Second, check to see if you have any driver issues in Device Manager. The Commander Pro is Vendor ID 1b1c and product id 0c10 and it would be listed under "Human Interface Devices". You can also look at USBDeView to see if it's listed in there at all (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html).

Finally ... question for you ... are you powering the CoPro via any kind of adapter? The CoPro's microprocessor runs on the 3.3V rail, which is not available on a molex-to-sata adapter.

First, make sure that you update the USB drivers.

Second, check to see if you have any driver issues in Device Manager. The Commander Pro is Vendor ID 1b1c and product id 0c10 and it would be listed under "Human Interface Devices". You can also look at USBDeView to see if it's listed in there at all (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html).

Finally ... question for you ... are you powering the CoPro via any kind of adapter? The CoPro's microprocessor runs on the 3.3V rail, which is not available on a molex-to-sata adapter.

Hello, thanks for the feedback.

With regards to powering the commander pro, its powered directly of the sata on my HX750i. Funnily enough on the other system where it works just fine I was powering from a molex to sata adapter.

As regards to the USB bus you can see all the usb devices attached on this screenshot :

Commander_pro.jpg

All chipset and usb drivers are up to date.

USB DView will show you devices that have been connected but aren't at the moment. And also allow you to enable/disable the devices. And it shows you the Vendor ID/Product ID of connected USB devices.

I do note that the hub is showing up on here but the CoPro unit itself is not. So it's like it is only connected on one of the USB ports, not both. The CoPro is the only one of the Corsair Link items that actually requires both USB ports to be connected; the rest just require one of them. Can you check your connection?

Checked in the bios also, and can only see the following devices :

IMG_20180130_133016.jpg

I am also using a usb 3.0 to 2.0 converter (silverstone) as the Z270-I has no internal usb 2.0 header :

41_L_2g_RS_L.jpg

I have also just ordered one of these , might be a solution if the commander pro is not compatible with USB 3.0 to 2.0 adapter :

T1Hc_7XfpcXXbQ0_wT_013203__73906_zoom.jpg

The BIOS won't show it.

To explain things:

Each row on a 9-pin internal USB 2.0 header supports 1 physical port; a full internal USB 2.0 header supports 2 physical USB 2.0 ports. Each of those ports has 4 pins; the 5th pin on 1 row serves as a key to ensure that you don't plug them in backwards and cause a short circuit.

Most of the Link devices (coolers, Lighting Node Pro, PSUs) only use one of those ports, even though the connector uses the entire header. The Commander Pro (CoPro) is different; it actually uses both of the available USB 2.0 ports. One of those ports is used for the hub that gives you two additional internal USB 2.0 headers (for 4 additional ports) and one of those ports is used to communicate with the CoPro itself.

In your case, the USB port that provides the hub is there and recognized. The port for the CoPro's processor is not.

Now, you've determined that your CoPro does work by putting it into a different system. I'm going to guess that it was connected to a full, native USB 2.0 header on that different system. That makes the CoPro "Known Good".

So what's different between the two systems? Because that's where your problem lies. If my assumption that the other system use a full, native USB 2.0 header is correct, then it could be one of two things: your USB 3.0 header on the motherboard is bad or there's an issue with the Silverstone cable. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Silverstone cable being the issue. It could be because pin 10 looks like it is missing on that Silverstone cable. Technically, that is a Ground connection, although most list it as "NC" (No connection). See http://pinoutguide.com/Motherboard/usb_2_1_header_pinout.shtml.

The BIOS won't show it.

To explain things:

Each row on a 9-pin internal USB 2.0 header supports 1 physical port; a full internal USB 2.0 header supports 2 physical USB 2.0 ports. Each of those ports has 4 pins; the 5th pin on 1 row serves as a key to ensure that you don't plug them in backwards and cause a short circuit.

Most of the Link devices (coolers, Lighting Node Pro, PSUs) only use one of those ports, even though the connector uses the entire header. The Commander Pro (CoPro) is different; it actually uses both of the available USB 2.0 ports. One of those ports is used for the hub that gives you two additional internal USB 2.0 headers (for 4 additional ports) and one of those ports is used to communicate with the CoPro itself.

In your case, the USB port that provides the hub is there and recognized. The port for the CoPro's processor is not.

Now, you've determined that your CoPro does work by putting it into a different system. I'm going to guess that it was connected to a full, native USB 2.0 header on that different system. That makes the CoPro "Known Good".

So what's different between the two systems? Because that's where your problem lies. If my assumption that the other system use a full, native USB 2.0 header is correct, then it could be one of two things: your USB 3.0 header on the motherboard is bad or there's an issue with the Silverstone cable. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Silverstone cable being the issue. It could be because pin 10 looks like it is missing on that Silverstone cable. Technically, that is a Ground connection, although most list it as "NC" (No connection). See http://pinoutguide.com/Motherboard/usb_2_1_header_pinout.shtml.

So do you think this is a better option ? ? , I have no usb 2.0 header so im pretty much in the **** ! :

T1Hc_7XfpcXXbQ0_wT_013203__73906_zoom.jpg

That one looks like it has the ground for pin 10. Without physically examining it or getting just the right angle, it's hard to say. And I can't read it either, so that doesn't help.

Sorry dude ... I understand the frustration and wish I had a better answer for you.

I just took a look at the USB cable on the Commander Pro ... pin 10 (which is the extra pin) does not have a wire going to it. So no ... it actually doesn't use it.

In your situation, that likely means that your original Silverstone cable was bad; we know that your CoPro was good because it worked in another machine.

The other thing that may be an issue is the power delivery. If you are using a molex-to-SATA adapter for the CoPro, that may cause this issue as well. The CoPro uses the 3.3V rail for its processor and that's not present when you have a molex-to-SATA adapter, only the 5V and 12V rails are.

I just took a look at the USB cable on the Commander Pro ... pin 10 (which is the extra pin) does not have a wire going to it. So no ... it actually doesn't use it.

In your situation, that likely means that your original Silverstone cable was bad; we know that your CoPro was good because it worked in another machine.

The other thing that may be an issue is the power delivery. If you are using a molex-to-SATA adapter for the CoPro, that may cause this issue as well. The CoPro uses the 3.3V rail for its processor and that's not present when you have a molex-to-SATA adapter, only the 5V and 12V rails are.

Hello, Thanks I have new adapters on the way.

UPDATE

Fixed, works perfectly now.

On the usb 3.0 motherboard header to USB 2.0 motherboard header adapter I changed port 1 for port 2 and the commander pro is detected.

I swapped over 1357 to position 2468, only downside is that I no longer have the commander pro usb hub, a small sacrafice.

61QuBOlf0PL._SL1000_.jpg

Archived