Corsair Community

Asus A7N8X Delux board won't run in dual channel mode...

hazzdan

RAM GUY:

I could use your help. I Have the A7N8X Delux Asus motherboard pared with Corsair VS512MB400 memory (two sticks of 512MB each).

Preface

I received a second set of memory sticks from New Egg under warrantee due to memory issues running at 200 Mhz speed. PC ran fine with CPU clocked to 166 Mhz but the machine would not boot at the correct 200 Mhz setting for XP3200 CPU.

Here are the technical facts.

AMD XP3200 CPU

Motherboard BIOS (latest 1008) - and the updated from 1007 to 1008 did help with some memory issues by allowing the machine to boot into Windows.

Windows XP SP1 crashes shortly after bootup when running in dual channel mode. When I run the memory in single channel mode - no issues. After reviewing your help forums I tried several different bios configuration options including the following:

memory set to SPD

memory set to 100% frequency

Timings changed from 8-3-3-2.5L to 8-3-3-3L

Changed voltage to 2.7

The second set of memory wouldn't allow PC to boot until I updated the bios to 1008. After that the only way I can keep the system stable is to run in single channel mode. I would like the greatest speed and functionality of the PC and nforce2 chipset my system can offer (don't we all). But really, I can you help me achieve full system potential and stability which rendering mpeg video requires.

Thanks Dan

• Corsair Employees

Dan,

That would suggest some other problem, can you test the modules one ata time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set these settings:

With the A7N8X Rev 1.0X or 2.0 please set the FSB jumper to pins 2-3 with the modules in slots 2-3 and then reset or clear the bios and load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the timings manually. Then please test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

Thanks, Ram Guy,

(2-5-05) I had to wait a couple of days to test. I ran the test below as suggested - rebooted with the config below and ran memory test with the memtest program. After about an hour of testing (about two passes) no problems were found. I rebooted with dual channel cofiguration and was rewarded with a system hang about 1 minute after loading Windows. The hand usually comes soon after booting windows.

I kept the bios configuration the same and rebooted with single channel memory without any hang issues in Windows. (I only had to change 100% frequency and 2.7 volts) because everything else was set per your config.

Any additional ideas would be appreciated. Could it be that this memory is not really compatible with my motherboard or is there an obsecure upate to Windows drivers I need to load? The NVIDIA nforce2 memory controller driver is version 2.7.5.0 dated 8/26/2002.

Thanks, Dan

Dan,

That would suggest some other problem, can you test the modules one ata time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set these settings:

With the A7N8X Rev 1.0X or 2.0 please set the FSB jumper to pins 2-3 with the modules in slots 2-3 and then reset or clear the bios and load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the timings manually. Then please test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

(2-7-05) One more update, Ram Guy. I restored my system to single channel mode and am experiencing the bliss of system stability. Hopefully, you will help me soon gain the the added performance enhancements with dual channel mode. I await your assistance.

(2-6-05) Ram Guy, I did update the nvidia chipset drivers to the latest available. I also updated Windows XP to SP2. Memory induced hangs are still with me, but are getting somewhat better. I can now run in Windows about 15 minutes instead of about 2 minutes before the system hangs. The current hang problems reports it is due to a comflice with the video. My screen goes black and then I get an error before I crash. I don't see the error message that long before the crash thereafter, but it appears to be something like a conflict with the VDR driver.

I will go back to single channel mode and hopefully this will resolve my hang issues as it did before. I'm thinking after upgrading all relevent drivers and configuring the bios per your suggestions that this memory is just not compatible with this ASUS motherboard in dual channel mode. Any suggestions for a fix would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ram Guy,

I had to wait a couple of days to test. I ran the test below as suggested - rebooted with the config below and ran memory test with the memtest program. After about an hour of testing (about two passes) no problems were found. I rebooted with dual channel cofiguration and was rewarded with a system hang about 1 minute after loading Windows. The hand usually comes soon after booting windows.

I kept the bios configuration the same and rebooted with single channel memory without any hang issues in Windows. (I only had to change 100% frequency and 2.7 volts) because everything else was set per your config.

Any additional ideas would be appreciated. Could it be that this memory is not really compatible with my motherboard or is there an obsecure upate to Windows drivers I need to load? The NVIDIA nforce2 memory controller driver is version 2.7.5.0 dated 8/26/2002.

Thanks, Dan

Archived