Corsair Community

Delidded CPU + Push/Pull or Nah?

RetroGamesIn4k

Hey guys. I’m brain stressed out. So I’m building a Corsair crystal 570x Mirror Black Build. I have a delidded 5.1 GHz i7-8700k from SiliconLottery.com. I’m running a H150i Pro with ML120 Pro RGBs and a Corsair hydro series gpu in the back with an ML120 RGB Pro and 2 more as exhaust on top. I don’t really want to run push/pull on any of my rads if I don’t have to because the Commander Pro can only power 6 fans and any more than that with RGB is confusing and space killing.

Question is, delidding is supposed to get rid of heat issues and The H150i Pro is supposed to be one of the best cooling AIOs that Corsair has to offer. Do I really need to run push/pull to overclock at good speeds if I’m mainly using my PC to game? Also does anyone know if the mirror black case takes up a led slot on the Commander Pro or is that delt with some other way?

There's a pretty extensive thread on the 570x Mirror ... the LEDs on the case are treated like an SP-RGB fan. If you are getting rid of the SP-RGB fans that come with the case (and it sounds like you are), you'll still need a single Fan Hub for the case. It sounds (if I'm counting correctly) a total of 6 ML-RGB fans as well ... so you'll need a second fan hub for those.

Keep in mind that the fans on the cooler can be plugged in to the cooler's fan controller. That's really your best option as well; it'll control the fans based on cooler temperature natively which means that your settings can be applied whether Link is running or not. So you'll only have 3 fans on the CoPro.

Between delidding and the cooling capacity of that cooler, you won't need to run push/pull at all. You can if you like ... some of us do this simply for the aesthetics and some do it because they want to run their fans a lower speeds ... but it's not required. The ML, by themselves, will be more than enough. And, since they are all ML fans, you could, potentially, power all six of them (with splitters) from the cooler's connection ... you have a 2A total limit with the pump and about 450mA of that needs to be for the pump. The ML-RGB 120mm fans are .225A each, putting you at grand total of 1.8A of current (1.35A for the fans and 0.45A for the pump).

you have a 2A total limit with the pump and about 450mA of that needs to be for the pump. The ML-RGB 120mm fans are .225A each, putting you at grand total of 1.8A of current (1.35A for the fans and 0.45A for the pump).

So if I’m getting what your saying. I’d run most likely my fans from back to front as 1-6 onthe pwm fan connectors on the CLCP. Then for the RGB I’d connect the as 1-6 on the CLNP and connect the CLNP to the LED connector on the CLCP. Then for the case LEDs is connect the straight into the second LED connector on the CLCP or would I need another LED hub or CLNP? And with 1.8A, would I be able to just connect the CLCP to my fan header on my Mobo (Asus ROG Strix Z370 E Gaming)?

I have a delidded 5.1 GHz i7-8700k from SiliconLottery.com. I’m running a H150i Pro with ML120 Pro RGBs and a Corsair hydro series gpu in the back with an ML120 RGB Pro and 2 more as exhaust on top. I don’t really want to run push/pull on any of my rads if I don’t have to because the Commander Pro can only power 6 fans and any more than that with RGB is confusing and space killing.

I have a 5.1 GHz 8700K from Silicon Lottery. No, you absolutely do not have to run push pull with anything. My effective coolant delta at 5.0/1.30v is 6C. That means no matter what I do with the fans, the most I can possibly reduce the CPU temperature by is 6C. In reality, a zero coolant delta will never happen in any kind of internal cooling system. This is on a 280mm with medium fan speeds. The H150i might do 1C better for a 5C coolant delta. Push pull might get you one degree. As mentioned in the other threads, it's real value for you in this case is the ability to keep 120mm fans below the speed where they become noticeable. Even at 1000 rpm, that is going to me very mild and that is all the speed you need on a single set of 120x3. There is no need to do push-pull coming out of the box and if you are curious, use the included ML120-Quiet as the test mules. No reason to go chasing 1-2C when your peak normal load temps will be under 55-60C.

So if I’m getting what your saying. I’d run most likely my fans from back to front as 1-6 onthe pwm fan connectors on the CLCP. Then for the RGB I’d connect the as 1-6 on the CLNP and connect the CLNP to the LED connector on the CLCP. Then for the case LEDs is connect the straight into the second LED connector on the CLCP or would I need another LED hub or CLNP? And with 1.8A, would I be able to just connect the CLCP to my fan header on my Mobo (Asus ROG Strix Z370 E Gaming)?

You keep connecting things in the wrong places. It'll be clearer when you get the hardware as you simply won't be able to connect them without forcing things.

- IF you want to do Push/Pull with ML fans, you MAY connect them to the H150i PRO's fan headers. It has 3 fan connectors. You'd need 3 splitters. If you just use PUSH or PULL, connect the fans to the H150i PRO's connectors and control them using the H150i PRO's controller.

- The Commander Pro (CoPro) is connected to the motherboard via USB. NOT via a fan header.

- You CANNOT connect a fan directly to the CoPro. For your case, you'll need a Fan Hub as the connection is just like an SP-RGB fan. You can only have 1 fan type per Fan Hub so you'll have a Fan Hub just for this.

- You'll have a separate Fan Hub for the ML-RGB Fans. You can connect the fan hub to the CoPro.

- You CANNOT connect a fan directly to the CoPro. For your case, you'll need a Fan Hub as the connection is just like an SP-RGB fan. You can only have 1 fan type per Fan Hub so you'll have a Fan Hub just for this.

- You'll have a separate Fan Hub for the ML-RGB Fans. You can connect the fan hub to the CoPro.

So does the lightning Node Pro work as one of these hubs or is the hub something else? I’m trying to find out what to buy. I’m only running 6 fans (all ML120 RGB). 3 on the H150i Pro. 2 on top as exhaust. One on Corsair GPU rad as rear exhaust. Other than the Commander Pro, what else do I need to purchase? The 6 ML120 fans come with Lightning Node Pros themselves.

So does the lightning Node Pro work as one of these hubs or is the hub something else? I’m trying to find out what to buy. I’m only running 6 fans (all ML120 RGB). 3 on the H150i Pro. 2 on top as exhaust. One on Corsair GPU rad as rear exhaust. Other than the Commander Pro, what else do I need to purchase? The 6 ML120 fans come with Lightning Node Pros themselves.

Technically, the CoPro is optional. The ML multi-pack comes with everything you need ... the Lighting Node Pro and the Fan Hub.

That said, the CoPro is a good addition. I'm a big fan of using it for my fan control. But you'd still have the motherboard headers if you want.

The Lighting Node Pro (NoPro) controls the RGB features and can also power the RGB LED strips. The Commander Pro (CoPro) has the exact same functionality of the NoPro and adds the fan control 2 internal USB headers and 4 temperature sensors.

The Fan Hub distributes the LED signal and power to the fans; that's it. It's actually quite dumb, as devices go. But one NoPro/CoPro doesn't have enough current to adequately power 12 RGB fans. Well, it's actually not a limit of the NoPro/CoPro, but of the amperage that the SATA power connection can supply. But 1 NoPro/CoPro + 2 RGB Fan Hubs provides plenty of amperage to light up 12 fans.

So does the lightning Node Pro work as one of these hubs or is the hub something else?

I cant recommend enough that you go read the Help/Faq thread We have created 'CLICK ME' buddy.. It really does explain all the units involved.. how you can connect them and indeed shows you a few set up diagrams..... Dont ask questions there though ;).. come back here.......

Sorry if I have suggested this before but your above question suggests you need more info ;)