Corsair Community

im pretty sure its the RAM

funkyredneck

i have 1 g corsair ram in a system (2 512 sticks) that i recently had some problems with. i purchased the ram at a retail store called microcenter about 1 1/2 months ago. #,s from the stick in ? are:XMS5402v1.1 0432019-1

my system would not boot and i would get only a black screen. couldnt do anything.

with the memoty removed i was able to recover the bios and my system was fine.

is there anything else im overlooking here??

Can i obtain an RMA and get the memory replaced or better yet a refund??

also here are my sytem specs if you need them:3.4 ghz P 4. 925xcv motherboard. intel

• Corsair Employees
What is the exact model # of you MB? Intel D925XCV? Is that correct? And are you trying to run Twin2x1024-5400C4 in this MB? If so that may be the problem. The Intel version of this MB may not give the options to set the Dim Voltage and the minimum suggested voltage for these modules would be 1.9 Volts. Please see if you have the option to set your voltage and then set the memory Frequency at 533MHz and test the module with http://www.memtest.org. However, I would suggest you ask your reseller if they will let you exchange these for VS1GBKit533D2 instead for best compatibility.

FYI, here's the original thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/showthread.php?t=35232

Definitely D925XCV.

funkyredneck, this may help as well:

How To Read the Memory Label

The blue line is underlining the PART NUMBER. In the example in that link, it is CMX512-3500C2PT. That's what Ram Guy is asking about so as to be 100% sure and clear about what memory part you have. Corsair can't give you a refund as they only sell to resellers, who in turn sold it to you. If you do wish to get a refund, I would suggest you talk to your reseller about that. If you do have the Twin2x1024-5400C4, you may ask your reseller about switching them with the VS1GBKit533D2 instead like Ram Guy recommended.

RAM GUY:

Recommended Modules for the Intel D925XCV

It has the TWIN2X1024-5400C4 listed. Ruh roh Ram Ruy! eheh :) Already reported the error.

motherboard modle #: 925xcvlk also it is brand new.

memory part #: Cm2x512-540004 xMs5402v1.1

0432019-1

XMS2-5400 512mb 675mhz 4.4.4.12 ddr2

my system is running with 1 of the 2 memory sticks in it right now.

if i put the other stick in the computer will only boot to a blank screen and i can not enter bios or os. the retail store i purchased this from said i cant return it so u are my only hope Ram guy.

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 1.9 Volts and then test the suspect module with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure. If you do still get errors or still no post then please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! But Intel boxed MB's do not always give all of the options you would need to run these modules. I would see if the reseller will let you exchange them for VS1GBKit533D2 if you do not have the option to set the Dim Voltage.

• Corsair Employees
The minimum suggested voltage for these modules are 1.9 Volts. The point being that it may be failing because it’s not running at the correct voltage. But I have no problem replacing the modules, and I have removed these modules from the list of suggested modules on our memory configurator.

yes i understand youre logic, i just dont get why if it is a voltage problem why the other 512mb stick is workin fine with no adjustments. i would think that it would not work as well. but i shall try anyways. i think if i cant manually adjust the memory voltage in the bios i can download an application from intel call Desktop Control Center. I pretty sure that program will do it. ill let u know in a couple days.

im about to try that suspect stick and was wonderin. . . . in my system bios i can set the voltage to Auto, 1.8,1.85,1.95,2.0. but there is no option for 1.9 so im thinkin with it on auto it is runnin the ram at whatever it needs. Is that correct? Or should i not even use this ram on my mainboard because there is not a 1.9 option for voltage?

im about to try that suspect stick and was wonderin. . . . in my system bios i can set the voltage to Auto, 1.8,1.85,1.95,2.0. but there is no option for 1.9 so im thinkin with it on auto it is runnin the ram at whatever it needs. Is that correct? Or should i not even use this ram on my mainboard because there is not a 1.9 option for voltage?

I think 1.95 should be fine, I had a similar problem like this awhile back. The difference between 1.9 and 1.95 is slim and you should try that.

Running a ram stick on AUTO sometimes has the voltage set to low I think that is why ramguy suggested it. :laughing:

:mad:

i have no video and connot boot once again after chaging the voltage to 1.95 and putting the bad memory back in my system as per youre instuctions RAM GUY. now i have to recover the bios again which wouldnt b so difficult if i had an internal floppy drive in this workstation.(it wont work to recover the bios from a external 3.5 floppy and my internal is in the other workstation) so it looks as if in gonna be takin my other worstatiopn apart tonite too. damn it all to hell!!! i wish i would have gone with my gut instinct and just returned the ram, which will be in the mail tommarrow. i have an rma # R71006. I assume this is the # i am to use and i also assume the replacment RAM will be the 533mhz 1.8v version ddr2 512mb 240 pin non ecc SDRAM. if you could that would be preferrable but any workin RAM will do. So i guess at least we all know now with these particular symptoms what to do. Ill be clocked in for 2 hours tonite on Corsairs payroll and my rate is $400.00 per hour. ill expect a check in 1 week. J.K. !!!! talk to ya later ram guy.

matthew :(:

Archived