Corsair Community

New LL fans and commander Pro - fans disappear / appear?

faxfan

So I've got a new setup of -

Commander Pro

5 x LL Fans (connected directly to Commander Pro / lighting via RGB hub thing)

3 x RGB strips

Setup everything and working BUT every 30 seconds or on Corsair Link the "Fans" will all disappear so the fan section is empty. About 1 or 2 seconds they re-appear. This resets the lighting effect I'm using so it's quite irritating.

Check all connections, tried auto connections and 4 pin connections without any joy.

Commander firmware is up to date - 0.4.173 / 0.3 and commander pro software of 4.9.4.28.

Any ideas?

• Corsair Employee
So I've got a new setup of -

Commander Pro

5 x LL Fans (connected directly to Commander Pro / lighting via RGB hub thing)

3 x RGB strips

Setup everything and working BUT every 30 seconds or on Corsair Link the "Fans" will all disappear so the fan section is empty. About 1 or 2 seconds they re-appear. This resets the lighting effect I'm using so it's quite irritating.

Check all connections, tried auto connections and 4 pin connections without any joy.

Commander firmware is up to date - 0.4.173 / 0.3 and commander pro software of 4.9.4.28.

Any ideas?

If there's another USB 2.0 header on your motherboard, have you tried moving the Commander to it to see if that changes anything?

I am going through a NZXT internal USB hub, I'll try a direct mobo connection. Though I don't seem to lose connection to the RGB strips or lighting but I guess that could just be static display thing.

I'm using the same hub as well.

Question: do you have any other monitoring software running? HWInfo? HWMonitor? EVGA XOC?

HWInfo will cause conflicts similar to what you are seeing. It's because both applications are trying to access the CoPro at the same time. If you disable monitoring the CoPro sensors in HWInfo, you'll be OK if you start HWInfo first and then Link. Apparently, even if they are disabled, HWInfo will query the CoPro if it "finds" it at startup.

It's exacerbated by the LL fans because they require software control, so Link is accessing the CoPro constantly ... which virtually guarantees that HWInfo and Link will have conflicts.

HWInfo will cause conflicts similar to what you are seeing. It's because both applications are trying to access the CoPro at the same time. If you disable monitoring the CoPro sensors in HWInfo, you'll be OK if you start HWInfo first and then Link. Apparently, even if they are disabled, HWInfo will query the CoPro if it "finds" it at startup.

It's exacerbated by the LL fans because they require software control, so Link is accessing the CoPro constantly ... which virtually guarantees that HWInfo and Link will have conflicts.

Slowly removing everything - had a aquasuite, hwinfo etc. Just checking for more.. but would this impact the adding them to the LED part. Seems strange, but I'll give it a go.

OK, removed everything still no joy.

Strange on the graphs CP 12v, 5v and 3.3v all drop to zero when this happens otherwise they display ok at the correct voltage.

AGAIN, only when I enable the RGB effects.

There is something clobbering the hardware communication channel. Link can't access the device or it's failing to respond.

And yes, I would expect to see these happen more frequently when you have the LL fans added; they're software controlled so Link is continuously accessing the device to control the lights. But only one thread/device can access the device at a time ... so someone loses.

Makes me wonder if Link is stepping on its own toes here.

I'm fairly sure that you have something that's conflicting. The question is what. Is it Link itself (odd because I'm not seeing this and I have 7 LL fans on the CoPro) or is it something else. The behavior you describe is exactly what I've seen when running HWInfo at the same time without disabling the CoPro sensors in HWInfo.

What do you mean by "Configure RGB LL Fan with NOTHING connected on the RGB channel"? Are you setting it up in the software without an actual fan being there? That's not going to change anything ... the CoPro cannot detect whether a fan is there or not; if you set it up, the communication will happen.

OK, removed everything still no joy.

Strange on the graphs CP 12v, 5v and 3.3v all drop to zero when this happens otherwise they display ok at the correct voltage.

AGAIN, only when I enable the RGB effects.

Unfortunately, this has been my experience as well on the 4.9.xx Link versions. I have retreated back to 4.8, which works fine for HD fans, but not for your LL or the ML-RGB fan I am going to have to return.

Put firmware 0.2.136 on and it's looking ok on initial tests, had enough today though :(

This is also my fimrware of choice and it plays better with other monitoring programs (AIDA, HWINFO, CAM). I am not sure of the implications for the LL series.

Looks like I got bad hardware. The firmware started coming up as N/A - forcing updates did update it but then reverted back. Device stopped appearing in USB as well.

Ordered a new one and bingo! Everything is working, though I am running the LL fans for a lighting node pro I had spare.

Archived