Corsair Community

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and XMS1024-3200XLPRO 2-2-2-5

NECROMANCER81

I have two sticks of XMS1024-3200XLPRO 2-2-2-5, 512 MB memory and installed on a A7N8X-E Deluxe Motherboard. It crashes and won't boot up in Dual Mode often. I have the latest 1013 bios. The latest MB drivers from Nvidia. Not the ones from ASUS. I will be playing an online game and the screen might go all deep blue with a screech and reboot. Or it could lock up in game or desktop, I press reset button and I get only a black screen instead of the Bios or Windows restarting up. I must then reset the CMOS Jumper, power up and if I go right away into the bios and change anything it will reboot to black screen, but if I just let it boot to the first screen it says CMOS CHECKSUM ERROR DEFAULTS (I think) -press F1 to continue or Del. I must press F1 and boot to Windows XP PRO SP2 and then restart again, and THEN I can go into the bios and change to the proper date and normal settings until the next crash. I even set the Ram to 6-3-3-3 and all default no O/C on anything, and got same random problems in DUAL MODE only(ram in 1 and 3 or 2 and 3), so far. . A single stick in or two sticks in Single Mode (sticks in 1 and 2 slots) seems to be ok so far. I know these screeching crashes are RAM as I had two computers as a noob with mismatched RAM I stuck in them with diff CAS and or Diff manufacturers and had many many months of WINDOWS XP corrupting BLACK SCREENS OF REAL DEATH after Screeching game crashes. These do no damage to files though just the above. My 130 GB gaming XP PRO installation was Repair Reinstalled from another motherboard with a via chipset but I must assume all those MB drivers when erased when I reinstalled XP over it on the new MB. Sometimes I get endless sound loop lockups in online HALF LIFE 2 in SINGLE OR DUAL MODE with Error message.. HL2 APPLICATION ERROR ... Refenced Memory at ..... and something more on Refenced memory not available. CAN ANYONE HELP?!

... A single stick in or two sticks in Single Mode (sticks in 1 and 2 slots) seems to be ok so far...

... My 130 GB gaming XP PRO installation was Repair Reinstalled from another motherboard with a via chipset but I must assume all those MB drivers when erased when I reinstalled XP over it on the new MB...

Sounds more like the memory controller for the first comment.

Only formatting the HDD, or installing XP in a different folder will eliminate the possibility of old drivers conflicting with the new setup. If it was just reinstalled in the same folder, they're still there and definitely can cause problems.

HL2 has some memory issues. Is it updated to the latest patch?

Run http://www.memtest.org on the memory, one stick at a time, in the same slot.

Sounds more like the memory controller for the first comment.

Only formatting the HDD, or installing XP in a different folder will eliminate the possibility of old drivers conflicting with the new setup. If it was just reinstalled in the same folder, they're still there and definitely can cause problems.

HL2 has some memory issues. Is it updated to the latest patch?

Run http://www.memtest.org on the memory, one stick at a time, in the same slot.

But if Xp Pro Was reinstalled over the installation and brought back to Sp2 AND Nvidia Board Drivers installed, wouldn't one of those steps overwrite previous VIA memory controller software from the previous board? What if I installed the Via 4in1 pack onto this Nvidia board with NORTON SYSTEM WORKS Smart Sweep running to track all that was installed, then use it to clear out all the Via MB drivers? Then install Nvidia MB drivers again. Nvidia uses an ADD REM listing to remove there drivers and Via doesn't I noticed.

• Corsair Employees

For a 2400+ CPU please use these settings and test the modules one at a time.

CPU Freq: 133 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

Please use http://www.memtest.org to test them.

But if Xp Pro Was reinstalled over the installation and brought back to Sp2 AND Nvidia Board Drivers installed, wouldn't one of those steps overwrite previous VIA memory controller software from the previous board?

Only if you selected FORMAT would it overwrite it.

What if I installed the Via 4in1 pack onto this Nvidia board with NORTON SYSTEM WORKS Smart Sweep running to track all that was installed, then use it to clear out all the Via MB drivers? Then install Nvidia MB drivers again. Nvidia uses an ADD REM listing to remove there drivers and Via doesn't I noticed.

Hrm... it MAY work, depends if there is any filename difference in the versions.

CPU is not running at 2400mhz and the FSB jumper set to 400/333/266 not 200.

Wow Wow! It looks like your advice to set the FSB to 200mhz only pins and volts to 2.7 and Ram in slots 2 and 3 has now Stopped all the crashes. I hope it continues .. Now I have Dual Mode going and Thank you fellows!

Archived