Corsair Community

H100i v2 Not recognized by Corsair Link

bhorv67

I have a refurbished H100i v2. After installation, Corsair Link does not recognize the cooler. Previously, I had an H80i, which I could control with Corsair Link - is this not the case with the H100i v2? I currently have no way to control the fans.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a refurbished H100i v2. After installation, Corsair Link does not recognize the cooler. Previously, I had an H80i, which I could control with Corsair Link - is this not the case with the H100i v2? I currently have no way to control the fans.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes, it should be controllable through Link.

Take a like in Device Manager for "Corsair USBXp Driver" under USB Connections. See if that's disabled. If so, enable it.

Question: Are you running any other monitoring tools?

Yes, it should be controllable through Link.

Take a like in Device Manager for "Corsair USBXp Driver" under USB Connections. See if that's disabled. If so, enable it.

Question: Are you running any other monitoring tools?

Well Done!

That's what it was. I enabled the driver and now Corsair Link is recognizing it.

I am also running GPU Tweak II for the Strix 1080ti.

So now, another question if I could - there's a post in the forum about how to 'properly' power your cooler. If I follow these steps, it says to go into the bios and change the CPU fan to Voltage control (I have a choice of PWM or DC), and set the fan speed to 100% to make the pump run at 12v.

So which setting should the Bios be set to?

Well Done!

That's what it was. I enabled the driver and now Corsair Link is recognizing it.

I am also running GPU Tweak II for the Strix 1080ti.

So now, another question if I could - there's a post in the forum about how to 'properly' power your cooler. If I follow these steps, it says to go into the bios and change the CPU fan to Voltage control (I have a choice of PWM or DC), and set the fan speed to 100% to make the pump run at 12v.

So which setting should the Bios be set to?

So ... you have an Asus, albeit an "older" one. If possible, if it has Q-Fan Control, the easiest thing to do is to DISABLE Q-Fan control for the CPU Fan Header. Again, that's an if ... I know that Skylake and higher (100 series) motherboards have this. Not sure about the older ones.

If that's not available, PWM control will work. Or DC/100%. The general, easiest-to-follow rule is just set it to 100%. That ALWAYS works, regardless of any of the other variations that are out there due to motherboard manufacturers and BIOS options.

And it's very important to do this. The cooler won't operate properly if you don't and it's also possible that it'll fail sooner. So go get 'er done!

On ... one more comment ... we've not seen any issues with GPU Tweak yet. Since, at the time, you didn't have your specs filled out, I didn't know what you had going on. Lately, EVGA's XOC has been a big source of issues. It seems to have the attitude "All your coolers R belong to us!"

So ... you have an Asus, albeit an "older" one. If possible, if it has Q-Fan Control, the easiest thing to do is to DISABLE Q-Fan control for the CPU Fan Header. Again, that's an if ... I know that Skylake and higher (100 series) motherboards have this. Not sure about the older ones.

If that's not available, PWM control will work. Or DC/100%. The general, easiest-to-follow rule is just set it to 100%. That ALWAYS works, regardless of any of the other variations that are out there due to motherboard manufacturers and BIOS options.

And it's very important to do this. The cooler won't operate properly if you don't and it's also possible that it'll fail sooner. So go get 'er done!

Really appreciate the help!

My mobo is an Asus Prime Z370-a / i7 8700k

It does have Q fan control, but I have to check if I can disable it for the CPU header.

Either way, if I do set that to 100%, won't the cooler fans be running at 100% all the time? Or does Corsair link take control of the fans?

Really appreciate the help!

My mobo is an Asus Prime Z370-a / i7 8700k

It does have Q fan control, but I have to check if I can disable it for the CPU header.

Either way, if I do set that to 100%, won't the cooler fans be running at 100% all the time? Or does Corsair link take control of the fans?

Link controls the fans. The fan header setting has nothing to do with the fan speed.

That said, if the header doesn't provide the full 12V, the fans may not run at all.

And your system specs said Z87 ... might be helpful if you update that.

Link controls the fans. The fan header setting has nothing to do with the fan speed.

That said, if the header doesn't provide the full 12V, the fans may not run at all.

And your system specs said Z87 ... might be helpful if you update that.

Just realized my old specs are in the profile - just updated.

I did disable Qfan for the CPU header.

So now what's happening is the H100i v2 fans are at full speed. Link says they're are 1000rpm, they're not. Nothing I do in Link is affecting the fan speed.

CPU temps at idle are 28c. Cooler temp is 25c. None of the profile settings seem to affect the fan speed now since I disabled Qfan for the CPU header.

I think what's going on is, Asus has their Mobo utility than runs in the background which controls the fans 'AISuite III'.

Corsair Link is now displaying 0 fan speed and 0 pump speed. Something's not right. But I can hear the fan is 100%.

1) Are you using the stock fans? Or something else?

2) Can you show the configuration of the fans in Link?

3) Are you running any other monitoring software besides GPU Tweak? HWInfo? HWMonitor? Anything like that?

AISuite can cause issues if it overrides the BIOS settings for the fans. D

1) Are you using the stock fans? Or something else?

2) Can you show the configuration of the fans in Link?

3) Are you running any other monitoring software besides GPU Tweak? HWInfo? HWMonitor? Anything like that?

AISuite can cause issues if it overrides the BIOS settings for the fans. D

I am using the stock fans - both are connected to the splitter cable coming off the cooler. Cooler is in the CPU header

I can show the config of the fans in link - but making changes to the settings does nothing.

I do have HWInfo installed, but it's not running

I uninstalled AISuite, so it shouldn't be affecting anything, yes?

Well, your fans should not be running at 100%, if properly configured and the cooler is working properly.

I would like to see your configuration as there may be some clues in there of what's going on. So ... please ... post your configuration and include the screen that shows current temps.

I enabled QFan again on the CPU header - now Link is able to control the fans.

That's ... odd. How do you have the header set? If it's set to DC mode and ANY profile at all, you won't get the full 12V for the pump. And it is very likely going to cause a pump failure after some time.

And at 1200 RPM, I don't recall the stock fans aren't "screaming". Or ... at least ... they shouldn't be. That's like ... less than 40%.

And you posted the readings but not the configuration for the fans. I need to see that as well as the current readings.

Question: Do you have anything plugged in to CPU_OPT?

That's ... odd. How do you have the header set? If it's set to DC mode and ANY profile at all, you won't get the full 12V for the pump. And it is very likely going to cause a pump failure after some time.

And at 1200 RPM, I don't recall the stock fans aren't "screaming". Or ... at least ... they shouldn't be. That's like ... less than 40%.

And you posted the readings but not the configuration for the fans. I need to see that as well as the current readings.

Question: Do you have anything plugged in to CPU_OPT?

The header is set to PWM. To be clear, the rpm reading on Link was not what the fans were running - they were at full speed. Before I enabled QFan again, I could set anything in the fan profile in Link, and it did nothing. Now that Link is working, the rpm readout appears to be correct.

Ok- so you ask about CPU-OPT. I do have a fan there. Because of the case I'm using, I had to come with a creative way to mount it on the inside of the top grill (Cooler Master Haf912). Both fans are in a pull configuration, but I took one of the old fans from my H80i and mounted it as an exhaust on the back - that is in the CPU-OPT, mainly because I want it to run at the same speed. Could that be the issue?

Link2.thumb.jpg.e967fd77d6a423e61be04e61cf8cadc9.jpg

Ok- so you ask about CPU-OPT. I do have a fan there. Because of the case I'm using, I had to come with a creative way to mount it on the inside of the top grill (Cooler Master Haf912). Both fans are in a pull configuration, but I took one of the old fans from my H80i and mounted it as an exhaust on the back - that is in the CPU-OPT, mainly because I want it to run at the same speed. Could that be the issue?

No, it should not affect whether the cooler shows in Link. However, that fan is going to run at 100% all the time with CPU-Fan disabled. On Asus boards, OPT is a mirror of CPU fan and copies its instructions while having no adjustable features of its own.

The header is set to PWM. To be clear, the rpm reading on Link was not what the fans were running - they were at full speed. Before I enabled QFan again, I could set anything in the fan profile in Link, and it did nothing. Now that Link is working, the rpm readout appears to be correct.

That is the fan that was "screaming". Since it's a PWM fan, you should be able to get away with it. PWM delivers the full 12V at all times and uses the 4th wire to send the PWM control signal. CPU_OPT mirrors CPU_FAN; they aren't controlled separately at all.

And typically, top-mounted radiators are exhaust. For the radiator, it's not a problem But the ... how on earth did you mount that radiator on the top at of that case at all?

That is the fan that was "screaming". Since it's a PWM fan, you should be able to get away with it. PWM delivers the full 12V at all times and uses the 4th wire to send the PWM control signal. CPU_OPT mirrors CPU_FAN; they aren't controlled separately at all.

And typically, top-mounted radiators are exhaust. For the radiator, it's not a problem But the ... how on earth did you mount that radiator on the top at of that case at all?

All 3, the fans on the H100 and the rear exhaust were all at 100% when QFan was disabled. Link could not control the speed. Strange how once QFan was enabled again, now it's working fine.

That's why I used the CPU_OPT header for the exhaust, I wanted that fan to run at the same speed.

Because of how the case is designed, I was able to get the radiator on the inside of the case, with the fans on the bottom (pull). It's actually pretty slick how it just fits. It's slightly at an angle to line up with the vent holes, to get the screws through.

All 3, the fans on the H100 and the rear exhaust were all at 100% when QFan was disabled. Link could not control the speed. Strange how once QFan was enabled again, now it's working fine.

That's why I used the CPU_OPT header for the exhaust, I wanted that fan to run at the same speed.

They won't run at the same speed. The fans for the cooler are controlled - 100% - by the cooler's fan controller. The PWM signal from the CPU fan header is completely and totally ignored. Well, that's not accurate; there isn't even a wire to read it much less ignore it.

Like I said, as long as that header is on PWM mode, you'll be OK; the header will deliver 12V. And your radiator fans weren't at 100%, they were at 1200 RPM (on your screen shot), which is something like 25-30%. The CPU_FAN reading provides Pump RPM / 2 and has no relationship at all to the fan speeds.

They won't run at the same speed. The fans for the cooler are controlled - 100% - by the cooler's fan controller. The PWM signal from the CPU fan header is completely and totally ignored. Well, that's not accurate; there isn't even a wire to read it much less ignore it.

Like I said, as long as that header is on PWM mode, you'll be OK; the header will deliver 12V. And your radiator fans weren't at 100%, they were at 1200 RPM (on your screen shot), which is something like 25-30%. The CPU_FAN reading provides Pump RPM / 2 and has no relationship at all to the fan speeds.

I can say with 99% certainty, when QFan was disabled, the 2 rad fans and the exhaust were at 100%. It was LOUD. I know what these fans sound like at that speed. Something definitely was not right when QFan was disabled. Now that it is working, and it's at 1200 or so, they're not running at full speed anymore. There's an audible difference.

Maybe the issue is there's something residual left over from AISuite thats taking fan control priority when QFan was off.

I'm going to do some more testing and I'll post back what I figure out (or not).

Thanks very much for all the help.

On a completely separate issue - would you have any insight into how to fix a Corsair K70 with certain keys are double/triple striking?

Archived