Corsair Community

memory setup

Mill5 Kill5

Good morning all! I have CMD32GX4M4A2666C16 which is, according to the specifications, 2666/cas16. The memory defaulted to 2133. I have yet to try changing any bios or DOCP settings as this my first PC build that I just finished last week... As such, I'm still pretty apprehensive to do it as I'm terrified of irreparablely damaging my pretty rig. Ha! Is it as simple as changing from 2133 to 2666 in bios? What happens if I change the setting and it isn't happy?

I'm sorry for the n00b questions and thank you in advance for any help!

The kits tested specifications are programmed in the SPD as an Intel Extreme Memory Profile. So to enable these, you need to manually activate the XMP in the UEFI. Since the AMD platforms don't have native XMP support, the MB manufacturers implement their own workarounds for that. For ASUS it is called DOCP. It trys to apply the settings from the XMP and adjust them for AMD. The XMP enabled Kits from the QVL are tested this way as well.

So if your kit is on the QVL, it is likely to just work. For other kits it can be hit and miss. If your system fails to POST with DOCP enabled or your system becomes unstable, you might have to manually adjust some settings (memory frequency, timings and/or voltages) to make it work. As long as you don't go overboard on the voltage front there is little risk in damaging the hardware itself. Running unstable settings can and more often than not will corrupt your OS installation over time, so most people prefer running stability tests with MemTest86 from USB before they boot into Windows.

The kits tested specifications are programmed in the SPD as an Intel Extreme Memory Profile. So to enable these, you need to manually activate the XMP in the UEFI. Since the AMD platforms don't have native XMP support, the MB manufacturers implement their own workarounds for that. For ASUS it is called DOCP. It trys to apply the settings from the XMP and adjust them for AMD. The XMP enabled Kits from the QVL are tested this way as well.

So if your kit is on the QVL, it is likely to just work. For other kits it can be hit and miss. If your system fails to POST with DOCP enabled or your system becomes unstable, you might have to manually adjust some settings (memory frequency, timings and/or voltages) to make it work. As long as you don't go overboard on the voltage front there is little risk in damaging the hardware itself. Running unstable settings can and more often than not will corrupt your OS installation over time, so most people prefer running stability tests with MemTest86 from USB before they boot into Windows.

Firstly, thank you very much for your help.

I checked the qvl and realized that I may have messed up... The kit I bought was CMD32GX4M4A2666C16 (couldn't find the version number anywhere on retail package) 16-18-18-35. The mobo qvl has CMD32GX4M4A2666C15(Ver5.29) 15-17-17-35. It's running well and seems stable (never had any no post issues) though, I've never run MemTest. Should I run MemTest? And, should I just leave at 2133 and hope official support is added?