Corsair Community

Problem with LL Fans not responding.

Curn

Hi so I finally got my new build set up and having originally not being a fan of RGB or lots of lighting in general I have to admit I was quite impressed. This lasted for about 2 days, then 2 of the LL120 stopped responding at all while the 3rd does follow orders about 1/4 of the LEDS are stuck/frozen. The LEDs them self work fine as when I'm in BIOS all 3 go to a default rainbow wave mode

The set up:

3 x LL120(Tripple pack)

2 x HD140(Double Pack)

1 x Corsair Comander Pro

1 x H100iv2

So I have the two HD 140 on the front of my case they are attached to the Commander Pro Fan#2&3 and the RGB runs to a 6 channel hub then into LED Channel #2 on the Commander Pro. These seem to be working perfectly.

On to the problem child. The tipple pack of LL120, 2 are on my H100i and the 3rd in on the rear exhaust of the case as seen in the image below, the 2 on the H100i are connected to the h100i for fan while the rear exhaust goes to the CP for control and all 3 RGB runs to a 2nd RGB hub that is then connected to the Commander Pro LED Channel #1.

IMG_20180116_190008490.thumb.jpg.a820861310f0b8ee32528ef0ce0aa2aa.jpg

As I said for the first few days they seemed perfect and I was able to show them off and easily change between different modes and colors. Now however they are not responsive at all, the 2nd image is an attempt to have them all changed to a simple static red, as you can see 3/4 of the rear fan changes and responds, but the rest don't. I do notice that some times if I change the fans that some time after maybe an hour or so I notice that the other fans have attempted to change but rather than doing a "wave" they are frozen.

This is extremely frustrating especially after being so pleasantly surprised, after getting over the initial setup and teething problems. I have so far checked all physical connections, and uninstalled Link ran a registry clean then reinstalled it. This at times gets it to work but they shortly get frozen again.

IMG_20180120_160703038_HDR.thumb.jpg.73d6f936aabc34e46f141ead7ff8367b.jpg

Question: Do you have any other monitoring software installed? Any other RGB control software?

It sounds like a software conflict somewhere and those are likely culprits.

I have RGB software for my MB and RAM, but they don't run unless I launch them, and this problem happens regardless if I do so. Same with Monitoring software I use HWInfo which can interfere but this problem happens regardless If I have it on or not.

I think the problem might be one of the fans. The one which 3 quarters of it worked was first in line, when that 1/4 of it got stuck this then knocked out the other two fans. I swapped them around so that one is now last and so far they are all working bar that quarter, so I'm guessing that its got to do with the fan and not anything else, strange that it worked for a few days, and still is fine in BIOS.

I have RGB software for my MB and RAM, but they don't run unless I launch them, and this problem happens regardless if I do so. Same with Monitoring software I use HWInfo which can interfere but this problem happens regardless If I have it on or not.

I think the problem might be one of the fans. The one which 3 quarters of it worked was first in line, when that 1/4 of it got stuck this then knocked out the other two fans. I swapped them around so that one is now last and so far they are all working bar that quarter, so I'm guessing that its got to do with the fan and not anything else, strange that it worked for a few days, and still is fine in BIOS.

Yes, it's strange that it worked for a few days; that's why I was thinking that there was a conflict.

However, not strange that it works while you're in the BIOS; it's in default (not software-controlled) mode ... so it doesn't need the signal from the fan hub, just power. These fans work in series - 1 after the other. If 1 goes bad, it takes the rest out because the control signal doesn't pass down the channel. Since you've identified a single bad fan, I'd go for getting it replaced. via RMA.

Yes, it's strange that it worked for a few days; that's why I was thinking that there was a conflict.

However, not strange that it works while you're in the BIOS; it's in default (not software-controlled) mode ... so it doesn't need the signal from the fan hub, just power. These fans work in series - 1 after the other. If 1 goes bad, it takes the rest out because the control signal doesn't pass down the channel. Since you've identified a single bad fan, I'd go for getting it replaced. via RMA.

Guess I have till Monday to fool around see if I can get anything working, am I required to send back all 3 + Cables or can it be one on a 1 to 1 basis?

• 3 months later...
Hi, so I just installed 3 LL120 fans in my pc. They spin and they light up, but they only turn white. And when I go to Corsair link I add three LL series fans and apply an effect, but nothing happens. I have also tried changing the color in iCue, but still nothing. I am wondering if anyone has a solution, Thanks. P.S, I am using the lighting node PRO with a hub.

Archived