Corsair Community

Intel i7 3960X / Corsair H100i Temp high

RickDrew

I have the system overclocked to 4.4 ghz, been stable for over a year. A month ago the thermal safety kicked in and the PC shut down. Did a thorough cleaning/dusting, checked all fans, etc. Restarted. Hit 80C in under a minute. I shut it down. Removed cooler, scraped off the thermal paste, applied new paste, reattached cooling plate. Ran at 43 C idle for a couple of weeks. Now it's at 60-65C idle again. Rendering video it hits 78C or more.

Push/pull fan configuration. Intake: Two 5" in bottom, two 5" in front, one 8" in side w/vents angled up, one 4" fan in front. Out: two 5" fans in rear, radiator with two fans on top, power supply fan. All grids/filters removed for max air flow.

On the cooler, one line is cool, one is hot. Idle right now, CPU package is 63C, H100i is 45.3C. Pump is running at 2342 RPM, radiator fans at 2500 RPM.

GPU is at 47C, also overclocked.

Mobo temps are between 46C and 31C.

Any suggestions?

Pump speed is normal and this is not a contact issue. It reads like a standard flow restriction of some type where the coolant is not circulating for whatever reason. Unfortunately, there is no user fix for this and you need to replace the cooler. Use the Support Ticket System link at the top of the page to start the RMA process and/or eyeballing something you might like better.

Usually this is caused by some kind of blockage and you might be able to squeak a few more days out this by tapping the pump cover, turning the case back and forth, or even removing the H100i and giving it a good shake. Sometimes the blockage comes loose and you get relief for a while. However, it inevitably will come back and this is a short term, decidedly non-scientific procedure. You might be able to get away with some browsing and basic use, but keep an eye on the coolant (H100i Temp) and total CPU temp. Since the coolant cannot carry the heat to the radiator, it builds over time. The longer you are up and running, the warmer things will get. The cool down will be slow as well since there is no way to expel the heat. You likely have to shutdown and go watch TV for a while.

Edited by c-attack

Unfortunately, what you are describing sounds like a partial blockage of some sort. When you repasted and remounted, you jiggled things loose for a while and that kept it going but now the blockage is back. :-(

Your best bet is a support ticket; as long as you have your receipt (or can download it), you should be good.

Thanks for the info. What a messed up system. Had to reclaim my account. Logged in. Warranty / support link gets to the same warranty description - click on contact, get an invalid page error. Go back to warranty, get logged out, can't log in again. The thing is only two years old so still in warranty. But of course I can't wait a couple of weeks with no computer, so I have to blow over $120 for a new one. At least when my power supply fried a while back, the manufacturer sent out a replacement first. Not sure what I'll do - the system is designed to frustrate people into not making a claim.

Thanks for the info. What a messed up system. Had to reclaim my account. Logged in. Warranty / support link gets to the same warranty description - click on contact, get an invalid page error. Go back to warranty, get logged out, can't log in again. The thing is only two years old so still in warranty. But of course I can't wait a couple of weeks with no computer, so I have to blow over $120 for a new one. At least when my power supply fried a while back, the manufacturer sent out a replacement first. Not sure what I'll do - the system is designed to frustrate people into not making a claim.

I don't think that's the case. When I had a pump failure, I didn't have these issues. That said, there have, apparently, been issues reported on the forum with the support site. I'm not sure what's going on but Corsair is very good about honoring warranty.

So ... what I'd do is get an air cooler for now (I have a Hyper 212 EVO as a backup, personally ... but I also have 4 liquid cooled systems) and I'm sure Corsair will get the warranty situation straigthened out.

• Corsair Employees

Have you tried doing this with a different browser? I've shot off an email to our customer support team to see if there's wonky on our end that could be causing this.

Update:

If you reclaimed your account, you should be able to just login at support.corsair.com and there'll be a big button at the top of the window for creating a ticket.

If you run into issues, you might want to call in for additional assistance.

Edited by Corsair CJ