Corsair Community

A8N SLI Dx. 3200XLPRO " System Failed Memory Teat"

Rock142

My problem and it only happens only once in a while during boot up I get that same message "system failed memeory test" then I shut down and it boots up normally..I RMA'd the motherboard and still the same with the new motherboard, I swapped the the same XL Pro Memory from another system and still the same, I reset the bios the same, flashed the bios with 1003 the same.. I'm running out of options, and again it only happens once in a while it could go for days without a boot memory problem then all of a sudden "system failed memeorty test". All reqired cables from the power supply are connected and as you can see by my specs below my system is pretty high end. Could it be that Corsair XL moduals have a problem with this board? I have LL moduals that I haven't tried yet, who knows, or could it be a Bios issue? The system is not overclocked. Please Help

Specs

A8N SLI Deluxe w/ 1003 Bios

FX-55 CPU

1G Corsair TwinX 3200XL Pro (2 x 512's) 1 in A1 Slot one in B1 slot

2 Westrn Digital 36G Raptors in RAID 0 on nVidia contrller

2 6800 Ultra's in SLI mode

Silverstone Technology Nimiz Black Aluminum Tower

SST-TJ03B w/ side window

PC Power Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe SLI PSU

Generic CD ROM & Floppy

Win XP Pro w/ SP2 all updates are current

I just manually set the timmings to 2,2,2,5 and the DDR voltage to 2.8v I also set the Hypertransport to 201 and the CPU frequency to x1.. i will see if that helps, but if you have any other suggestings please let me know, or what would be the ideal settings for this Bios with my set up.

Thanks so much RamGuy

Yes please try it with the Dim Voltage set to 2.8 Volts and you might check for the latest beta bios as well. ftp.asus.com.tw

Thanks I will let you know how I make out....I have the latest Bios and I've been checking for a new release.

I was having tons of problems... like you. tons of BSOD sometimes on boot up as well. I RMAed the memory 3200xlpt and it worked better but kept screwing up and kept corrupting my harddrives, thing that solved it, moved the RAID from the Nvidia controller to the silicon chip! that did the trick. Also turn ECC on in the bios. i have mine at 2.75 volt 2225 1t ddr400. see what that does, Im not sure if you can just switch them into the silicon controller and still have your data just fine, i just started fresh on that controller and it works like a champ. good luck

Thanks, good to keep in mind...I set the DDR Voltage to 2.8 and set the timming to 2,2,2,5 and left the RAID 0 on the nVidia controller, so far so good, I'll keep you posted if I run into the same problems. I also set the PCI Clock to 33.33 and the Hypertransport to x1 and the CPU freq. to 201, the reason why and I dont think its related to the boot up problem is because I was getting a warning when I launched nTune...

• 2 weeks later...

After days without a Memory boot up problems I boot up my system today and again :(: "System Failed Memory Test" I've read this forum http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/38623/ , one thing on this post is about memory with led read outs:

Memory

Unless you plan on bleeding edge overclocking, some good, cas 2-2-2-5 DDR400, PC3200, memory will do just fine. Brands that offer excellent memory are OCZ, Crucial and Corsair. Please stay away from memory featuring led readout or other extras or memory from lesser known manufacturers. We’d recommend a 1GB dual channel kit for this motherboard, regardless of whether you pick an Athlon 64 or Athlon 64 FX processor.

Do you think the LEDs could pose a problem?

If any one has the same or close set up to mine mainly the A8N SLI DX board and Corsair 1g of 3200XLPRO and does not experience this problem please let me know and what are you BIOS setting?

I pretty much set my BIOS according to the setting in the web site above except fot the DDR voltage....Please Help :confused:

Specs

FX-55 CPU @ stock speeds for now

1G Corsair TwinX 3200XL Pro (2 x 512's) 2,2,2,5--2.8v--1T

2 Westrn Digital 36G Raptors in RAID 0 on nVidia controller

SST-TJ03B w/ side window

Generic CD ROM & Floppy

Win XP Pro w/ SP2

I changed my timmings to 2.5,3,3,6 @ 2.75v in order not to get a system failed memory test during post.This has worked so far.Are these good timming? I've been getting a System failed Memory Test with timmings of 2,2,2,6 @ 2.8 ,1T..

Specs

FX-55 CPU @ stock speeds for now

1G Corsair TwinX 3200XL Pro (2 x 512's) 2.5,3,3,5--2.7.5v 1T/2T-Auto

2 Westrn Digital 36G Raptors in RAID 0 on nVidia controller

SST-TJ03B w/ side window

Generic CD ROM & Floppy

Win XP Pro w/ SP2

I'm having a similar problem.

A8N-SLI Deluxe

Athlon 64 3500+

Corsair Twinx1024-3200C2Pro

etc.

I get application lockups, CTDs, and spontaneous reboots in graphically intensive 3d apps - primarily 3dMark. I always get some sort of error relating to the video drivers. Because of the video driver error, I thought it was the vid cards. Replaced those. Heat, nope. Then I thought it was power, upgraded that. At the end of my rope, somebody on the hardwareanalysis.com thread suggested the memory. So I ran Prime95 per their suggestion. It rebooted the PC. So I pulled my new Corsair memory and installed a stick of Corsair Value Select PC2100 256Mb. Everything ran fine. No crashes in 3dMark after four passes (unheard of with the Twinx memory). Prime95 ran fine for two hours. No problems. I took that memory out and put in one stick of the TwinX. It ran fine. I put the second stick back in, and was right back to the instability.

With the both sticks of TwinX in the system I ran memtest for 16 hours with no errors. Ran the MS mem Diag proggy for 2 hours, no problems. My settings in the BIOS are:

1T, 2.5, 3, 3, 6, 2.75v. Sticks are installed in A1 and B1 per the manual.

BTW, I had considered that the LEDs might have something to do with it. It's true that they draw very little power. However, that's power that is not going to the actual memory. I certainly wouldn't have purchased the "pro" memory if I knew that all it was was LED activity lights. My case doesn't have a window, so I couldn't care any less about those lights.

The LEDs don't take enough power to mess with it. Up the voltage up anywhere up to, but not above, 2.9 volts if you care to test it.

Since the 2100s don't cause problems, try underclocking the 3200XLs to 333 Mhz or 266 Mhz. If a lower speed works fine, it's probably the memory controller.

Archived