Corsair Community

? about CMX512-3200C2, if its bad

raov

I have an asus a8v deluxe, sata raptor drive amd +3500 and ultra x-connect 500 watt psu. Hopefull thats enough info for what I got.

First off if the memory is bad, can it damage both the motherboard and harddrive permanently.

I could not run the 2 sticks of CMX512-3200C2 that I bought. They are both XMS3202v5.1

0446008-0

I could only run one in the 3 slot like the manual and asus suggest. After that I try to install windows xp, loaded the sata drivers from floppy and it saw the hdd, BUT when I try to format the drive or install windows xp(after partitioning with other computer) the installation freezes. Or the computer just shuts down. It does it in more then one place but not the same place in a row. I have tried original windows xp and windows xp sp2. They both freeze or shutdown in format or installation. Now I thought it might be the hdd but I tried my old maxtor that I know works and it also freezes and shutsdown with windows xp.

Now the tricky part. I had a friend with sata on his motherboard and has been running his windows xp installation from a sata drive for some time try to install windows onto my drive. It would just freeze. That leads me to believe that the HDD is screwed up.

I did run the memory test I saw posted here and it had a never ending stream of errors on test 5 with the corsair ram. But I had set the the setting in the bios to the ram specifications. So I tried the memory test with default memory settings and got a few errors on test 8. I did run the memory test on some old ram that I knew worked and it passed through them all.

So if someone could respond quickly so I can decide wether or not to try to get a refund on the motherboard or sata drive instead of rma replace. If the corsair guys know a good socket 939 mb that runs great with CMX512-3200C2 ram whatever. I hope this doesn't confuse people.

1. Corsair can't recommend motherboards, they need to stay neutral.

I have the A8V with the TwinX1024-3500C2s, and they work fine in dual channel. Can't see how memory can take out a HDD. Test your memory one at a time in that other system to be safe.

My friend won't let me test the ram on his system because he has had bad ram ruin his motherboard before. I don't need a recommendation from corsair, I just want to know if someone has had an easy experience with this ram and the other hardware I had, to know which motherboard I would rather get.

• Corsair Employees

Please put the memory modules on either slots 1&3 or 2&4; make sure that you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB; load optimized/set up default, and set the following BIOS settings;

TwinX512 or TwinX1024-3200C2

Advanced CPU/Memory Configuration:

Memclock Mode: Limit

Memclock Value: 2:1 (DDR400)

Bank Interleaving: 4/Enabled

Burst Length: 8

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

2T Command Rate: Disabled

ECC Configuration

Master ECC Enabled: Disabled

Jumper Free/Frequency Voltage Control:

AI Overclock Tuner: Manual

CPU FSB Clock: 200

DDR Voltage: 2.7 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings should be set to default settings!Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let's make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

• Corsair Employees

I do apologize for the mistake on my previous post, I thought you have 3200C2 but now realize that you have a 3500C2. Please change the setting accordingly.

TwinX512 or TwinX1024-3500C2

Advanced CPU/Memory Configuration:

Memclock Mode: Limit

Memclock Value: 2:1 (DDR400)

Bank Interleaving: 4/Enabled

Burst Length: 8

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

2T Command Rate: Disabled

ECC Configuration

Master ECC Enabled: Disabled

Jumper Free/Frequency Voltage Control:

AI Overclock Tuner: Manual

CPU FSB Clock: 200

DDR Voltage: 2.7 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings should be set to default settings! Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let's make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

I'm not sure where you got the idea I had 3500C2 ram, I took the numbers directly off the module. And I can't really change the settings now I had sent the motherboard and harddrive back trying to get rma refund. I can only get it for one of the items since they normally don't do that. I wanted to know if the ram could screw up the motherboard that much. *points to first post* And if so should I RMA the ram, because it would never pass completely, it would eventually freeze on test 8. And if I do RMA should I RMA it to newegg or corsair?

• Corsair Employees
Memory modules can not damage the MB unless the user put/installed it incorrectly, the pin on the memory or the memory slot is shorted, or the user doesn't install or memory is not all the way through the socket, and of course a power shortage in your area which will not be caused by the memory but the PS itself.

Archived