Corsair Community

Do I need to commander pro?

lirn8

No, you do not, at least ... not for the RGB effects. Without knowing your motherboard or other fans to tell if you have enough fan headers on the motherboard, I can't say if you'll need it for fan control.

First of all thank you...

I have to Asus Z370 Prime-A motherboard

• 2 weeks later...
I'm wondering about this too. Though I haven't installed anything yet, I also have an Asus Prime Z370-A. Could I use the Z370 to control fan speeds and use the Lighting Node for the RGB led's on my Corsair ML fans, RGB led strips, etc? The Asus comes with the Aura software for RGB's, so was also wondering if that will do everything that the Lighting Node will do? Then, what about the RGB on my Corsair H80i cooler and Vengeance RGB RAM? Edited by rschissler

Yes, you can use the motherboard to control the fan speeds and the Lighting Node Pro (NoPro) for the RGB LEDs. Each fan has two cables ... one is your standard 4 pin fan header and the other is the RGB.

The Aura software won't be able to control any of the Corsair items except, perhaps, for the RAM. However, I would suggest that you control the RAM via Link rather than via Aura so that you don't have conflicts. The H80i cooler has its own LED that is controlled via Link.

If you get strips, you can add them to the existing NoPro. Again, they would be controlled via Link and not Aura. The Corsair RGB strips provide a great deal more flexibility and effects than you get with the 5050 RGB that most of your Aura headers support.

Thanks, that's pretty informative! So, it sounds like the Aura would only be best for the onboard leds, which are minimal on this board. You didn't mention the Commander Pro. If using the mobo to control the fans, then there is little benefit for the Commander Pro?

If using the mobo to control the fans, then there is little benefit for the Commander Pro?

aside from the 2 USB headers and 4 temperature probes the CoPro has.. no...

unless you bring LINK into the mix. The CoPro does supply information on voltages as well as Rpm and temps from the probs. If running LINK anyways.. why not bring all control to one place?

Thanks, that's pretty informative! So, it sounds like the Aura would only be best for the onboard leds, which are minimal on this board. You didn't mention the Commander Pro. If using the mobo to control the fans, then there is little benefit for the Commander Pro?

IF you want to control your fans from the motherboard ... sure.

That said, I don't have any fans tied to the motherboard. All are controlled by a CoPro (or the cooler) ... on two separate systems, in fact.

Why on earth would I do such a thing? Well, I personally like the flexibility and configurability that I get with the CoPro. I like basing my fan curves off of sensors that give the temperature of the areas that I actually need to manage. I also like having multiple profiles that I can switch at whim and being able to tweak settings in Windows and immediately see the impact.

I tinker a lot with my systems and the CoPro lets me do that. It's far better, IMHO, than managing fan speeds through the motherboard.

Do I need the CoPro? Nope. It's not a need. But I sure do want it and I sure do like it.

That said, I don't have any fans tied to the motherboard. All are controlled by a CoPro (or the cooler) ... on two separate systems, in fact.

Why on earth would I do such a thing? Well, I personally like the flexibility and configurability that I get with the CoPro. I like basing my fan curves off of sensors that give the temperature of the areas that I actually need to manage. I also like having multiple profiles that I can switch at whim and being able to tweak settings in Windows and immediately see the impact.

I tinker a lot with my systems and the CoPro lets me do that. It's far better, IMHO, than managing fan speeds through the motherboard.

Do I need the CoPro? Nope. It's not a need. But I sure do want it and I sure do like it.

Thanks for your philosophical comments, that's what I was looking for! One of the things that attracted me to the Z370-A were the built in extra fan and RGB headers, so it seems like a waste not to use any of them. But, if there is a better solution, I'm all for it.

Edited by rschissler

The correct answer to OP's question is:

The LL120 triple pack kit CAN NOT power its own fans nor provide Corsair Link connectivity with regard to system cooling.

I cant imagine how anybody asking in this forum really meant to ask whether they could connect their fans to their motherboard - I cannot speak on behalf of people I do not know. But people looking for the above answer will NOT have found it from your response.

I have just found the answer to MY question, and it turned out to be:

The LL120 Triple pack containing Lighting Node and RGB Fan hub does not contain the equipment to independently power your new fans.

You may infer my dissatisfaction after having installed my new 3x fan kit to cool my h100i v2 and learning, upon the most beautiful and bright display of rainbow colors, that the fans were incapable of turning and in fact currently hindering the operation of the rear two fans attempting to cool the radiator.

I am feeling awfully disappointed in my incorrect assumption that the two controllers included in the kit would perform like a commander pro, which I find myself in need of now due to lack of availability of unused motherboard fan headers. Feeling pretty stupid that it took a complete installation to find this out, and wishing that the question were more deliberately and clearly spelled out in advance on the website or the packaging.

But people looking for the above answer will NOT have found it from your response.

They would have found it in the Clickable Link in his Signature though....

All the info you require could have been found on a search,, or indeed with a click of DevBikers Signature which Links to a Help/Faq thread ;).. the Truth is out there..... lol,,

It's also in my signature and indeed a Sticky at the top of the Link section of the Link (this section) of the forum

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=936716#post936716

RGB Fan & LED Strip Specifications Contributed by DevBiker

2. Note. None of the below Fans/Fan Kits are supplied with a Voltage/Pwm Fan controller of any type. For this sort of control (in Corsair Link) you would need a Commander Pro
  3. zdbm7KYt.pngSP RGB Fans: 4 LEDs around the center hub. These are 3-pin, DC-controlled fans and cannot be controlled from the Corsair Liquid Cooler fan connectors. The RGB effect is visible on both intake and exhaust. Only available as 120mm. Rated current for the fan: 0.30A. Hardware Playback Enabled, Will continue to display Custom Profiles when Link isn't Running.
  4. fn5RNPbs.pngHD RGB Fans: 12 LEDs around the outside of the fan. These are 4-pin PWM fans and can be controlled from any 4-pin PWM header or 3-pin DC header (PWM is preferred and provides better control). They have a clear fan body and are visible from both intake and exhaust. Available in 140mm and 120mm versions. Rated current for the fan: 0.30A. Hardware Playback Enabled, Will continue to display Custom Profiles when Link isn't Running.
  5. PcQLTXQ.pngLL RGB Fans: 16 LEDs, 12 around the outside and 4 around the hub. These are 4-pin PWM fans and can be controlled from any 4-pin PWM header or 3-pin DC header (PWM is preferred and provides better control). The RGB effect is only visible from the intake side of the fan. Available in 140mm and 120mm versions. Rated current for the fan: 0.30A. No Hardware Playback meaning they will not display Custom Profiles when Link isn't running
  6. JW8yF6Ks.pngML RGB Fans: 4 LEDs around the hub of the fan. Optimized for the best combination of performance and silence, using the same technology as the Corsair ML Pro fans but with reduced speed. They are identical to the fans that ship with the new series of PRO coolers. These are 4-pin PWM fans and require a 4-pin PWM connection for control; the magnetic levitation requires the full 12V to operate properly. The RGB effect is visible on both intake and exhaust. Available in 140mm and 120mm versions. Rated current for the fan: 0.225A. Hardware Playback Enabled, Will continue to display Custom Profiles when Link isn't Running.
  7. cIZprOkt.pngPro RGB Strip: 10 LEDs, Length: 410mm, IP65-rated transparent silicone coated, 4 magnets per strip and full-strip tape, 5v. Hardware Playback Enabled, Will continue to display Custom Profiles when Link isn't Running.

Edited by Zotty

The Commander Pro can be great.....I set my fans up ( have 6 RGB ) so they change colours depending on the temp of the GPU ( 3 front ) and the other 3 change denpeding on the CPU temps. That with link help me have control over fan speeds as well .Fantastic unit.

Now the downside, if you have 6 RGB fans you will have wires going everywhere to the back of the case , and it can be just so messy. I have the Cube and with one mechanical and 2 SSDs and cables from the PSU it is ugly but thankfully I have managed to cram it all in..............would be nice if the made a section in each case so the Commander Pro just attached ( 2 sided sticky is a pain ) .

and after a while the pretty lights lose their appeal :-)

The Commander Pro can be great.....I set my fans up ( have 6 RGB ) so they change colours depending on the temp of the GPU ( 3 front ) and the other 3 change denpeding on the CPU temps. That with link help me have control over fan speeds as well .Fantastic unit.

Interesting usage for the CoPro. I like it!

Now the downside, if you have 6 RGB fans you will have wires going everywhere to the back of the case , and it can be just so messy. I have the Cube and with one mechanical and 2 SSDs and cables from the PSU it is ugly but thankfully I have managed to cram it all in..............would be nice if the made a section in each case so the Commander Pro just attached ( 2 sided sticky is a pain ) .

Well ... they do want folks that don't have a Corsair case (such as myself) to also be able to join in on the fun. That said, I used 3M Command Strips rather than the tape that came with the CoPro. Works quite well and it's easy to remove if needed.

Now ... imagine what it's like if someone has 11 RGB fans! Six ... pah! Amateur. Seriously ... the wiring is a pain and the lack of available extension wires can make an already challenging task even more challenging, especially with large cases. But I'm working on something for that particular problem.

and after a while the pretty lights lose their appeal :-)

Oh, I doubt that. At least for me ... I likey pretty lights. They are precioussss to me. :cool:

The Commander Pro can be great.....I set my fans up ( have 6 RGB ) so they change colours depending on the temp of the GPU ( 3 front )

I have my gaming profile like this.. bottom fan SSD temp.... Middle fan GPU temp.. Top Fan CPU temp.... instant info at a glance

I have my gaming profile like this.. bottom fan SSD temp.... Middle fan GPU temp.. Top Fan CPU temp.... instant info at a glance

well in the Corsair 740 Cube with the new H115i I am getting great cooling for M.2 drive and everything else, still should have removed the hard drive cage and put the Commander Pro there

have turned down brightness for all fans and with the orange from the aorus GPU and in the dark case it looks very cool ...have turned off the RGB on the motherboard because I dont like the software from either Gigabyte or Asus. Not to fussed about the Cue software for motherboard and mice.

Link is very good for what I want at the moment and so far the best software I have seen from manufacturers.....you actually get the opinion that Corsair cares about the software

link.png

come winter will be doing some serious o/c

Edited by will_s