Corsair Community

Any motherboards work reliably with CMX512-3200LL in dual-channel mode?

SiliconDragon

I've got 2 sticks of CMX512-3200LL (pre-TwinX days) that work fine in Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe boards but never in dual-channel mode. I'd rather replace the board instead of the RAM, so does anyone have recommendations on any trouble-free motherboards that can use a pair of CMX512-3200LL sticks in dual-channel mode?

Thanks!

Problem is, if you want to stick with two different sticks of ram then you will probably get another motherboard that hates your memory. Why Corsair got their TwinX line out is because of dual channel mobos. Most, if not all, Dual channel boards don't like different memory because the mobo uses two distinctive memory controllers. If they don't behave exactly the same, you know the rest...

Some boards out there can run dual channel with unmatched memory but it's not up to the memory but the mainboard itself... It's a hit & miss situation im afraid...

Worst part is, even if someone else says his motherboard can run in dual channel it's with his memory, that doesn't mean that it will work with yours!

Sorry!

Can you tell me the part# and revision of both of your modules? And please tell me the configuration of your system?

I'm at work now, so will have to get the RAM info tonight, but here's the machine configuration:

Case: Antec PLUS1080AMG (480W TruePower p/s), water-cooled

M/B: Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (1013 BIOS, optimal setting, dual channel mode)

CPU: Athlon XP 3200+, 400Mhz FSB

RAM: 2x CMX512-3200LL (slots 2 & 3, dual-channel)

RAID: Promise FastTrak TX4000 PCI RAID controller

HDDs: 2 striped Maxtor DiamondPlus9 HDDs (ATA-133, 200MB each, 8mb buffers)

Video: Asus V9980 Ultra (GeForce FX 5950 Ultra, 256MB)

Audio: Creative SBLive 5.1 Platinum

IDE:

1a: Asus DVD-ROM (I forget the model)

1b: Pioneer CD-RW (I forget the model)

2a: Pioneer DVR-109 (dual layer burner)

2b: (open)

PS Jabberwok, my RAM sticks are identical, it's just that I ordered them through my distributor before Corsair started their TwinX program.

• Corsair Employees

Please try these settings:

With the A7N8X-E please set the FSB jumper to pins 2-3 with the modules in slots 2-3 and then reset or clear the bios and load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and set the timings manually. Then please test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

I have 4 of these exact MB's and this is what had to be done to solve problems with aggressive memory, no matters who's I tested. In addition, a few other's had some success disabling Spread Spectrum in the bios as well. I would take a look at http://www.asusforums.org as well in the AMD section.

Ok, here's the part info as requested:

1) installed in slot 1

CMX512-3200LL XMS3205v1.1

XMS3200 512MB 400MHz 2226-T1

2) installed in slot 3

3) a 3rd stick available but not installed at this time

Notes:

1. The 3rd stick has "TWINX" on a small silver sticker underneath the Corsair label.

2. The 7-digit "part numbers" (serial numbers, whatever) are located on the right side of the chip.

I'll try the settings you mention and see how that works, thx!

Please try these settings:

With the A7N8X-E please set the FSB jumper to pins 2-3 with the modules in slots 2-3 and then reset or clear the bios and load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and set the timings manually. Then please test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Well, I tried this, but it didn't work...no more stable than default BIOS settings. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use 2.8v instead of 2.7v, however, so should I set DDR Voltage to 2.8v instead? Also, after clearing CMOS, do I need to set DDR Voltage to 2.8v before making my manual adjustments which include the 2.7v setting? (I wasn't sure about your reference to both 2.8v and then 2.7v, so I err'd on the side of caution and didn't set 2.8v prior to making my manual adjustments. Oh, I also disabled Spread Spectrum, though that didn't seem to make a difference, though it might when I run memory tests.

I couldn't connect to memtest.org last night, couldn't download MemTest86, so I'll have to try that tonight. However, ad hoc stress testing via an online game had me crashing to the desktop 4 times in 90 minutes, though no pattern to the crashes.

Should I try using 2.8v instead of 2.7v? Anything else?

Thx for the help so far, it's greatly appreciated!

• Corsair Employees
What do you have the FSB jumper set to? And what slots do you have them in? And please get http://www.memtest.org and test the modules one at a time. And yes you can set the Voltage to 2.8 Volts and in fact I would suggest 2.8 with all three modules installed. But when you test them one at a time I would use 2.7 Volts!

FSB jumper's on 2-3 (forcing 200Mhz), RAM in slots 2 & 3. I just downloaded MemTest86 here at work, will take it home via pen drive and try it tonight. I'll test with 2.7v, but will try running with 2.8v first and see if it's stable.

Btw, with all 3 modules installed, does it still run in dual channel mode? (The m/b manual is far from clear, hehe.)

Thx again!

• Corsair Employees
With 3 modules you may need to relax the timings as well. If the settings I gave you do not work I would test the modules one at a time and lets make sure you don’t have a bad module. If they pass memtest then I would try Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and see if the system is stable. But I would not suggest more than 2 modules because of chipset loading with aggressive memory.

Nuts! The machine wouldn't even boot last night and I had to clear the CMOS just to get it through POST.

I tried 2.8v for the DDR Voltage setting...no go, still had intermittent app crashes and 1 machine reset (i.e. running fine then poof! intantly taken to the POST cycle).

I'll have to wait for this weekend to do the memory tests, but will do them with both MemTest86+, Microsoft's memory test app, and Sandra, too, if you think Sandra's worthwhile (I think mine's the Pro edition).

For RAM tests, do you want me to do them 1 RAM module at a time? And with the following settings?

Spread Spectrum disabled

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Afterwards, I can do the tests again with the original 2 modules and again with all 3, time permitting.

Thx again so far!

• Corsair Employees
Yes, and if you install more than 2 modules I would suggest you set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and you may have to relax the timings to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 as well. But please test them one up first and lets make sure one is not failing!

Archived