Corsair Community

TwinX1024 3200LLPT has issues

ping

Hopefully you guys can help me out here with some ideas.....

Quick info:

MB - Soltek SL-75FRN2-L

CPU - Barton 3200+

PSU - Thermaltake 480W Purepower

I've run TwinX512 3200LLPT on this board at 200 FSB using 6-2-3-2 @ 2.6V in Dual Channel since Aug, 2003. Loved the memory, did a great job. Decided I needed to go to a gig to speed up some things (doing more work on home PC now).

I ordered TwinX1024 3200LLPT. Rec'd the new memory, removed the old memory, and installed the new stuff. Timings set to 200 FSB using 6-2-3-2 @ 2.6V. Blue screened within 5 mins. Took out 1 stick. Ran memtest and Prime95 with no issues for several hours. Took out that stick, placed what I assumed was the "bad" one back in the PC. Ran memtest and Prime95 again with no errors for several hours. So both sticks work fine individually.

Placed both back in the PC in Dual Channel. Set timings to 11-3-3-2.5. Ran memtest. 30K+ errors in a couple of hours. Boosted volts to 2.7V. Tried again, and same issue. Moved the sticks to Single Channel mode. Ran memtest - no issues. Tightened timings back to 6-2-3-2. Ran memtest again with no issues in Single Channel using both sticks. Grrrrrr!!!! At this point, I've tried practically every setting/voltage combo that I thought was safe to use, but no luck. I just can't get this memory to run in Dual Channel.

I finally put my old memory back in, and all appears to be fine, however I want to use my new memory. I purchased the TwinX LLPT line for the matched sticks, the capability of low timings (6-2-3-2), and my outstanding past experience with my other memory. You guys make great products, and I really don't mind paying a bit extra as long as it works properly. Unfortunately it's not a positive experience so far with this set. It's also VERY likely that it's a setting I can try on my board to correct this since the Single Channel runs exactly as it's supposed to run.

The serial #/ lot # info on both new sticks is as follows:

CMX512-3200LLPT

XMS3205v3.1

o442012-17

Can anyone give some ideas or thoughts on something else to try with these sticks or is it RMA time?

Thanks so much,

pINg

• Corsair Employees
Please try and load setup defaults with the new modules installed in slots 1-3 or 2-3 and then set the timings to Cass 2-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3" and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. If the modules will pass one up or with both modules in single channel but not when in dual channel that would suggest either a problem with the chipset or maybe a power problem. You might try another PSU if you can just to test!

Please try and load setup defaults with the new modules installed in slots 1-3 or 2-3 and then set the timings to Cass 2-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3" and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. If the modules will pass one up or with both modules in single channel but not when in dual channel that would suggest either a problem with the chipset or maybe a power problem. You might try another PSU if you can just to test!

Will try this when I get home this evening and report results.

• Corsair Employees
Not quite, in the bios setup you should have the option to load setup/optimized defaults and this should be done when ever you fist turn on the system or if you make changes to the system. If you clear the bios; (Which by the way is needed sometimes) that will clear any DMI history and start with CMOS defaults which is not the same as setup defaults. When you load setup defaults the settings that get loaded should be based on the CPU ID and any other hardware in the system the bios detects.

Archived