Corsair Community

Commander Pro vs Mobo fan control

James7679

So does Link monitor MoBo sensors for temp control or is the only monitoring done by the thermistor probes that come with the Commander Pro kit? This will make a difference for me when setting up my fans. If the Commander Pro's only method for checking temps is with temp probes, how well does it perform when compared to the MoBo sensors?

The Commander Pro can use motherboard sensors, GPU temperatures, drive temperatures ... any temperature that Link "sees" ... for fan speed control.

With that said, if you want to have the fan speed control in hardware (not requiring Link to be running all the time), then you need to base it on the thermistors.

Now ... something to consider ... those thermistors can go anywhere you want them. This means that you can place them in strategic locations to best monitor the temperatures that actually impact components and adjust fan speed based on that. With the motherboard sensors, I'm never quite sure exactly where they are. But with my CoPro, I have a sensor just above my GPU and close to my NVMe drive. I use this as the basis for most of my case fans as this is the area in the case that gets the warmest and poses the most trouble (heat from the GPU heats up the VRMs and the NVMe drive). CPU temperature as a control point for case fans is absolutely meaningless, by the way ... its heat isn't exhausted or dissipated into the system.

Great info. So I should place 1x thermistor on the backplate of each of my GPU 's, one on my NVME, and one on the back of the MoBo near the CPU? Obviously you don't know the layout of my case, but these are the key temperature zones, I would assume.

Great info. So I should place 1x thermistor on the backplate of each of my GPU 's, one on my NVME, and one on the back of the MoBo near the CPU? Obviously you don't know the layout of my case, but these are the key temperature zones, I would assume.

Yes all valid ... but from what I understand, you don't want to place them directly on something but near it. So ... perhaps between GPUs. Consider, also, which temps you can have a meaningful influence over. There may not be much you can do to cool the space between two hot GPUs.