Corsair Community

TwinX XMS PC4400C25PT unable to do 275?

asmielia

Hi,

I just got a set of matched PC4400C25PT sticks, and tried it on my Springdale setup. I've had the setup for over a year and a half, and the CPU can definitely do 290 mhz Front Side Bus. Here's my setup:

Abit IS7 motherboard

Pentium 4 2.4C

OCZ Powerstream 520W PSU

I booted the system up at:

275 Mhz FSB

1:1 Memory divider

RAM timings on Auto (detected 2.5-4-4-8)

PAT settings on Auto

Memory Voltage: 2.8V (Maximum on this board)

The system keeps locking up within a few minutes of doing anything. I never get any errors, just hard lockups where nothing responds anymore. Memtest locks up within 5 minutes at 2.8V or within 3 seconds at 2.7V. Windows freezes up hard as well. If I lower my memory divider to 3:2, the system is fine.

Please tell me I'm doing something stupid and there's nothing wrong with my RAM. Anandtech says this RAM should be able to do DDR630+ at cas 2.5.

Thanks,

Adrian

• Corsair Employee

asmielia

The IS7 is a great MB but we have not been able to run this MB in our lab above about 265 MHz no matter what memory or CPU. Just to test can you try and lower the CPU Freq to about 260 and see if that helps?

Hi there,

yes I know I can't be sure that the motherboard isn't partially at fault. I remember running 250 fsb yesterday and I still got a random freeze but I will do more testing tonight.

Here's the thing with my IS7. I've had it for over a year and a half. When I first bought it, I had OCZ PC3700 Gold RAM to go with it, which I believe may have used Winbond CH5 chips. Using that RAM, I could not pass 238 on the FSB no matter what settings, voltage or memory divider. The whole machine would be perfectly fine at 237 mhz FSB at stock voltage, but I hit a brick wall at 238 where the system wouldn't even POST.

I then switched my RAM to Mushkin PC3500 Level II Black which used Winbond BH5 chips. That RAM was guaranteed to run at DDR437.5 cas 2-2-2-5, which it did, but it did not overclock well. Using that RAM, I was then able to bring the FSB up to 290 without issues as long as I used a memory divider of 3:2. I used this RAM for the past year and a half, but recently it has started failing. So I'm sure my IS7 can do 290 mhz FSB, I'm just not sure if it can do 290mhz FSB with a 1:1 memory divider. If I try to boot at those settings, the machine won't POST, it won't even beep to tell me that POSTing has failed. It just does nothing.

So now I'm on my third set of RAM for this motherboard. It seems weird that I'm getting hard freezes and not program failures or memtest errors, but I'm hoping that that's an indication of the motherboard failing and not the RAM.

I'm in the process of upgrading the rest of my system to an Nforce 4 based system, so I suppose I will only know then if it is the RAM's fault or the motherboard's.

Adrian

• Corsair Employee
That is about what we saw with this MB, when running the memory 1-1 with the CPU it will top out about 260-265 MHz. But with the memory out of sync we hit about 295 MHz. And that is fairly consistent with most of the better MB's with Springdale chipset. Sorry. I have no problem replacing the modules but I suspect it's just your MB topping out.

• Corsair Employee
No I have not seen the MB as of yet, only ABIT, ASUS and I think we have a DFI MB back in the Lab so far. But I think Gigabyte has backed off of the over clocking market a while back so I don’t know how well they will do!

Really? I don't know why you think that, their SLI board is geared more towards the enthusiast than any previous one they've released. Tons of memory tweaks and timings. It has good voltage options on everything except the memory, which only goes to 2.8. But my RAM should be able to get good mileage out of 2.8V anyway, right?

Archived