Corsair Community

Was one of my sticks programmed wrong?

Hi, I encountered a problem a month ago when I was building my SFF barebones system. First off here are my specs:

Shuttle SN95G5v1 with latest bios

AMD Athlon 64 3200 (Socket 939)

Nvidia Nforce3 Ultra

2xCMX512-3200C2 RAM

200GB Seagate HD

ATI Radeon 9700NP

Ok, the problem is that both sticks are advertised as PC3200. Whenever I put both sticks into the system, it boots up and shows that it is running Dual Channel PC2700. When I check the memory speed in Everest and CPU-Z, it reports as 166MHz instead of 200MHz. So I tried interchanging the sticks in their slots and got the same result.

Then I took 1 stick out, and when it booted up it showed that it was running at PC3200. The same happened when I booted with the other stick sitting by itself.

So apparently whenever I put both sticks in, it decides to run at PC2700 rather than PC3200. Both sticks have the same model, however, I think that they are programmed differently. I have tried many different BIOS settings regarding the memory to no avail.

I have provided a report from Lavalys' Everest program when both sticks are in the system. Note the Real Clock under Memory Bus says 167MHz.

http://sterito.doesntexist.com/memory.htm

Something I noticed is that DIMM1's timings say:

Memory Timings:

@ 200 MHz 2.5-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

@ 166 MHz 2.0-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

while DIMM2's timings say:

Memory Timings:

@ 200 MHz 3.0-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

@ 166 MHz 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

@ 133 MHz 2.0-2-2-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

I'm thinking that one of them is programmed incorrectly? I did buy the sticks at different times and from different vendors.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Here's some extra info on the DIMMs.

DIMM1's model# says XMS3202v2.2

DIMM2's model# says XMS3202v5.1

Tried forcing the memory speed/timings?

Yeah I've tried forcing the speed/timings in the bios with no results.

Did you just purchase these? And what is the complete part# of both modules?

I purchased the first DIMM in June of 2003. The second DIMM I purchased in December of 2004.

As for the complete part#, I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but here the numbers displayed on the sticks.

DIMM 1:

XMS3202v2.2

DIMM2:

XMS3202v5.1

0450102-0

Is there anything I, or Corsair, can do? Or am I going to have to buy another stick that resembles DIMM2? Thanks.

• Corsair Employees

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them!

But this is not really a warranty issue. As single modules would be warranted one up, not in pairs. We can only guarantee Twinx sets when running 2 modules. Sorry!

Archived