Corsair Community

H80i V2 Temps? Is it too hot? Is it Defective?

theo_yells

NOTES:

- I have the H80i V2 front mounted for fresh air.

- Cooling a 7700K

- Performances profile for Fans + Pump.

I've been playing PubG in a room that is about 23C ambient average and after about an hour of gaming Corsair Link reports to me that the H80i V2 temps is at 45C so the LED starts going red. I've tried reading reviews online of the cooler doing less than 40C. I know the 7700K runs hot but is the cooler working correctly? I'm having a hard time finding other peoples max load temps for the H80i V2. I bought this part brand new only a month ago.

Is it defective?

What temperature do you have the fan curves set to follow? The CPU temp or the H80iV2 temp? What are your CPU temperatures? And are you using the stock fans?

Fan curve set to performance (at 40C it goes to 100%)

It's NOT set to CPU Temp, it's set to the H80i V2 temps for the curve.

CPU Package Temperatures when I catch them have been around 66C+, max 80 according to CorsairLink (which i dont think happens often, I think its just 7700K spiking)

Using the 2 stock fans that came with it.

It does seem warmer than I would expect but it doesn't sound like the pump is defective. Are the fans in appropriate push/pull? (did you verify the orientation and that they are both blowing the same way?) Is there anything that's keeping the cooling air from getting through? We once saw a user with an issue similar to this and it turned out that there was restricted exhaust airflow, leading to a buildup of heat around the cooler, which prevented it from cooling, even though his ambient, external temperature was quite low.

It does seem warmer than I would expect but it doesn't sound like the pump is defective. Are the fans in appropriate push/pull? (did you verify the orientation and that they are both blowing the same way?) Is there anything that's keeping the cooling air from getting through? We once saw a user with an issue similar to this and it turned out that there was restricted exhaust airflow, leading to a buildup of heat around the cooler, which prevented it from cooling, even though his ambient, external temperature was quite low.

Yes they are in a push pull configuration in front of the case, also I feel like i'm at that conclusion as well about build up of heat. I'm looking into buying higher airflow intake fans to experiment, I don't think hot air is being pushed out, The front metal part of the case (where the AIO is sucking up air) is warm to the touch. I have two exhaust (rear, top) and two intake (both front, one of them is the 120 radiator set up)

Where is the H80i v2 mounted and what GPU is heating up the case?

Top slot in front of the case for the h80i v2. The 1080 Ti hits 70-77C during gaming. My conclusion is that the hot air isn't being pushed out of the case so i'll try purchasing higher airflow intake fans and see how it turns out.

Wait on the fans for now. You can make small differences with fan type and speed, but we are about 5-10C over the coolant temp I would expect for that location. While airflow may be a contributing factor, it cannot be the sole agent. I think we need to do a full system work-up and figure out what is going on. I have been wanting to do a break down on this case anyway.

1) Can you specifically list the fans sizes and locations in the case, with notation whether they are intake or exhaust? From what I gather, it is 3x120 front intake (including the H80i with dual fans in top slot intake), top exhaust 1x140?, rear exhaust 1x120mm. (correct where needed).

2) The next time you cold boot or wake the PC from sleep, open Link at take note of the H80i v2 Temp (coolant temperature). In those first few seconds cold it should be about the same as the room temperature, then it will slowly adjust to about +4-7C above that with normal, quiet fan speeds. So, in a 23C room we are expecting H80i v2 Temps in the 27-30C range. Use the PC for normal idle stuff, browsing, word processing, etc. and check the temp again at 15 min. What is the H80i v2 Temp now?

I would like to distinguish between a cooler that is air restricted, one that has some type of flow issue preventing best possible temps, or general environmental heat. The idle test should should help reveal either of the first two.

These cases with the solid "vented" front or top lids have caused some issues in the past. However, this one has one of the better designs where the air filters are at the top and bottom ends and not on the fans directly. As such, they do not pose the save level of restriction like when you place a dust filter right on top of the fan blades. Since the cooler likely makes metal to metal contact on the front rail, I am not surprised some heat is transferred into the plastic front fascia when that H80i temp is at 45C. For now lets leave the GPU heat component out of this until we determine the H80i v2 is working normally.

After the idle test (assuming it does not go to 40C on idle) you can further check performance by running a CPU only stress test. Don't use Prime or IBT. We just want a sustained high load with some wattage to get rid off. No need to test the CPUs IHS composition with the burners, especially if you are at stock auto voltage settings. AIDA, OCCT, Intel XTU all are fine. Run a short one for 10-15 minutes. On a 7700K and a 95W TDP, I would expect the coolant temp to rise 6-8C. More than that might suggest a problem with airflow into the radiator or the cooler itself, if extreme. If the temps do come back too warm, take the front panel off and run it again (after waiting 20-30 minutes for it to completely cool down).