Corsair Community

Air 540

Wusy

I've noticed that my case on the back of the other compartment is different than most pictures I see online and it seems like I can attach stuff to them. I'd like to know what I can secure onto those slits.

1555473945_20180101_0415011.thumb.jpg.9bf91be98b577ab495f45c826611f8df.jpg

Thank you

Yes, both of my older Carbide 540s are all mesh with no slots. That however, looks exactly like my Carbide 740 back panel. Sometimes they use stamped pieces from one case in another. It could be recently manufactured 540s use the same rear panel piece as a 740, although the case itself is a different height. Maybe it is easier or less expensive to modify that panel instead of continuing to stamp the old ones.

Either way, you probably can stick an 80mm fan on there, but there usually is no reason to do so. If you had a lot of PSU activity going on or ran it in passive mode frequently, a small fan might help cool SSDs in the rack above the PSU. However, I would recommend you pass on that unless temperatures are dire. To that end, on the 740 the SSD rack can be remounted from the normal spot above the PSU into those slots. It could be the newer 540s also have the different SSD rack that fits. Aside from that, it just one more place to mount RGB controllers, water cooling equipment, fan controllers, or whatever else. I just noticed I still have my Asus fan ext. card mounted back there. .

Yes, both of my older Carbide 540s are all mesh with no slots. That however, looks exactly like my Carbide 740 back panel. Sometimes they use stamped pieces from one case in another. It could be recently manufactured 540s use the same rear panel piece as a 740, although the case itself is a different height. Maybe it is easier or less expensive to modify that panel instead of continuing to stamp the old ones.

Either way, you probably can stick an 80mm fan on there, but there usually is no reason to do so. If you had a lot of PSU activity going on or ran it in passive mode frequently, a small fan might help cool SSDs in the rack above the PSU. However, I would recommend you pass on that unless temperatures are dire. To that end, on the 740 the SSD rack can be remounted from the normal spot above the PSU into those slots. It could be the newer 540s also have the different SSD rack that fits. Aside from that, it just one more place to mount RGB controllers, water cooling equipment, fan controllers, or whatever else. I just noticed I still have my Asus fan ext. card mounted back there. .

Awesome, thanks for your response. Is it possible to add a HDD cage in this area? Do the corsair HDD cage fit here from other cases?

• Corsair Employees
There is enough space to mount additional HDD in that area if you really want to. It's just a matter of how creative you are in securing the drives there, because there's no support there for an HD cage by default.