Corsair Community

SP fans not working with HD fans on 6 port LED HUB

Sheesh

Corrected orignial post title in case this info helps others. Short answer to my problem was answered below thanks to dev and c.

New forum user.... old gaming enthusiast. Its been over ten years since ive built a gaming rig. One of my teenage boys asked me to do a build with him for x-mas and it was on! Things like like liquid cooling and led lighting were not yet mainstream or affordable at that time. This build started with an $1100 budget and by the time It was finished we had gove over by $700 but it was well wirth it.

We researched and took our time on the build and wouldnt you know it booted rught up, loaded win10, updated and reboited like the rocket ship we so hoped for!!! kACHING!!!! Only one problem... once I got Link software loaded we noticed all fans were spinning but only three were functioning with LED. The three HD fans were fully functional but the LP fan LEDs were not.

Config:

Corsair 460X mid-ATX tower case

Corsair TX 850M PSU

Gigabyte Z370 AIRUS gaming 5 with latest bios and drivers

Intel i5 coffee lake 8600k

Corsair H80i v2 AIO

Corsair Vengence RGB 3000Mhz DDR4 8x2

EVGA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB SSC

Samsung EVO 960 250GB M.2 SSD

WD 500GB internal SSD

Edited by Sheesh

LP fans? Are you referring to the SP fans that come with the case?

Question: Are they connected to the same RGB Fan hub? If so, that's the issue - there can only be one type of fan connected to the RGB Fan Hub and, from what I understand, the SP fans and the HD/LL fans actually use completely different RGB LEDs.

Sorry I'm on an iPhone. Hopefully that answers my question. Really appreciate it, thank you!

The good news is that we added a 3-pack of HD fans which came with a 6 port hub. This in addition to the stock 460x hub.

However, Can I add the second 6 port and control it in Link without having to add a commander or additional LNP? Is it possible with my configuration or would I need to add the optional controller or 460x front I/O connected to the second hub?

Can you daisy chain the hubs?

Edited by Sheesh

I have 2 6 port hubs both with optional controllers, 1 LNP, 3 HD 120s, 3 SP 120s, 4 LED strips. Additionally I have one of the sp led fans and a stock AIO black sp fan mounted on the radiator for the H80i v2. Additionally, the 460x has built in led control in front I/o panel.

Lots of options. I still question how I have all the fans powered on my gigabyte board and some of the fan performance I'm in seeing in Link. System seems to be running okay under heavy load ad but think it still needs some tweaks. I'd like to teach my son to OC but not until I'm sure system cooling and thermal control is configured optimally.

Mb has headers for four system fans (1234), two pump fans (sysfan 5 and HPW fan) one CPU fan and one optional CPU fan.

7 fans in total with two connected to AIO power which is presently connected to CPU fan header.

Advice?

Edited by Sheesh

You are stuck with manual control from the two separate control sources, unless you unify the system the use one of the interface devices to connect it to the Link software. That would be either the Lighting Node Pro (LNP) or Commander Pro. Given you already have the LED strips (included with a standard LNP), the Commander Pro would be the better buy. Generally it is about $10 more, but it also gives you a powered fan hub for up 6 fans and then also provide the software lighting control and fan speed control under one program. Otherwise, you are stuck with the two limited physical remotes. I think it is worth for lighting controls alone. The HD fans are bright, possibly unbearable at 100% luminosity. Link provides brightness control. I find it much more pleasing at 25% and it would also making matching the lighting to the different SP-RGB fans much easier.

Oh, yeah, lots and lots of options.

So ... you cannot daisy-chain the RGB Fan Hubs ... and you'll need two of them. You can attach one of them to the case controls and then control your HD and LED strips from Link. Unfortunately, without either a Commander Pro OR another Lighting Node Pro, you won't be able to control all of the fans LEDs from inside Link. Sorry. :-(

On the radiator, I would recommend against using one of the SP fans for that. The SP fans are 3-wire/DC fans and the controller on the radiator will only manage 4-pin/PWM fans. The SP fans will work but they'll run at 100% all the time; that may not be desirable. The stock fans and the HD fans are both 4-pin/PWM fans. The down side to the stock fans is that when they really get moving (say, over 60%), they are a tad on the loud side. The good news is that it's unlikely that you'll really need them over 60%.

Thanks guys so it sounds like I can work around my limitations with what I have but that the commander is the way to go and then I'll have even more options. Even better is that it will remove even more wiring from the MB.

This things already x-mas in vegas and super clean on the inside. No HDDs all SSD means that all the complaints about wire mgt. on the 460x are actually in my favor. Remove the Drive cage and this build has superior wire mgt. with shrouds.

I'll post pics and vids once I get the above tweaks done.

Edited by Sheesh

On a final note, I connected my extra hd led hub to Sata power and moved the 3 sp fans to it and was alarmed to discover led still didn't work. A little more research elaborated on what c was saying however I finally discovered the sp and hd hubs are the same however the controllers are specific. So I connected the stock 460x controller back and the led lights light up.

Conclusion sp lights require the "optional" controller to work without LNP.... period. So looks like I'm stuck with two hubs and the controller for now until I can get a commander. Had I known this I would gotten the case without lights and purchased two hd 3 packs. Corsair should provide better insight into this for their customers as it was really difficult for me to get to the bottom of things as a consumer.

Corsair should provide better insight into this for their customers as it was really difficult for me to get to the bottom of things as a consumer.

^^^^^^^

Yeah, can't argue that. At least this forum is here so that you aren't flailing about in the dark. Before I went all-in on the Corsair RGB system, I had (fortunately for me) already found this forum and spent lots of time reading and studying Zotty's diagrams.

What would you think about, perhaps, an online configuration tool where you can add your different components and it lists out your options and helps you navigate things? Would you have found that if it were linked from, say, the product pages for the RGB fans? Or the cases?

I want to elaborate and say im really pleased with Corsair products in this build and yes I would have benefitted from a tool linked to product pages as I suspect many others Would have who didnt figure out thier issues with 460x and hd120 3 pack. Looks like many gave up and got pissed after multiple purchases and RMAs.

Built into Link would be nice but by that time, I think, it's too late.

I would see this, IMHO, as a presale tool ... something to help customers just taking the RGB plunge to navigate the eddies and currents of this deep, wide ocean. So that they get what they need for the look that they want the first time.

Corsair should put a sticky in the forums on this issue particularly for those customers who purchased a 460x with intention of adding a hd120 3-pack which is me and every other person who purchased the 460x and then others who simply wanted to upgrade their sp fans to hd on exiting sp controller.