Corsair Community

Memtest?

Snetty

I have 2 x 512mb XMS3200XL that I bought about a year ago. I've had problems on and off with my setup ever since and wanted to cross these off the list of possible causes.

What would you recommend to test my ram? Alot of people suggest memtest but I figured that I'm best off asking you guys.

Cheers for the help.

I'm running with an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, with an A64 3200+ at stock speeds and voltages.

I've experienced problems with past setups that I've had that have used this ram, and it could simply be a coincidence that I'm having problems with this latest setup, especially as drivers/bios for my current board are in their very early days. But like I say, I'd like to rule out my ram being an issue as it's the only constant that I've had throughout.

Anyway, i'll run memtest and get back to you...

before your reply, I tested (in dual channel) with memtest and got around 1500 errors.. which seems like a ridiculous amount.. I will test the sticks individually now with the voltage you suggest and get back to you with the results.

Although i'm going to do this, I bought the sticks in a TWINX package, so I cant see how it makes any difference whether it is a single stick or both that is the issue as I will RMA both sticks in anycase.

Very impressed with your customer service by the way. I wish other companies (motherboard manufacturers namely) would use forums as their primary RMA system.

The reasoning behind one stick at a time is that if it is a memory slot and not a memory stick that's going bad, this will help to find out.

Also, I don't know if they consider this their primary way or not for RMAs. While obtaining an RMA through a forum is obviously a good thing, if you only have one pc, you're kinda boned, eheh. That's why the phone is still around :)

yeah, only having one pc would be a bind. Luckily some of us can afford to keep a spare hanging around :D

Anyway, I did as you suggested and came up trumps. One of my sticks was fine, whilst the other gave me numerous errors. What do I do about RMAing it? I'm not keen to send it back to the vendor as I've had more problems with RMAing to vendors than I care to mention.

If I RMA through you guys, where would the RAM need to be sent? The states or do you have a UK base? Also, how long would you expect it to take for me to receive replacement parts.

Sorry about all the questions, but I have no spare memory to use whilst this is being exchanged.

• 5 months later...

Archived