Corsair Community

Best way to use the H110i with HAF X Case

Jdp00921

Hey All,

I'm completely new to using Corsair's forums so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong category of threads.

I built my system ~4 years ago and since, have been using a basic thermal-take air CPU cooler. This holiday, I received a H110i and figured I would now take the time to clean some of the dust from my setup and essentially rebuild using the new cooler. My question is - what is the best way to mount the cooler on the HAF X. I have recently been reading of the issues with using a 110i on the HAF X since the case isn't designed for 2x 140mm fans.

What I would like to do is as follows:

Mount the 2x 140mm fans to the 110i radiator and have them be used as an intake - taking air from inside the case into the radiator. Then, I would mount this radiator inside the case and have the HAF X 200mm fans as an exhaust blowing air out the top of the case. Basically, the setup would be: 2x 140mm Intake Fans > Radiator mounted to the inner face of the top of the case > 200mm fans on the top of the HAF X (exterior face of top of case) as exhaust.

Forgive my ignorance if this doesn't make sense but would this work? I can set my other fans as intake if the issue would be airflow inside the case. Also, I realize that even still, I may have to drill a few holes for the HAF X to accommodate the radiator.

Any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

-J

Using it as front intake will work, although obviously this restricts the amount of air you can bring into the case and that air is probably going to be 6-10C warmer than it otherwise would be.

That thing is a tricky case. The standard is 200mm fans everywhere, right? How much room is up top? If you have to drill, the top might be easier to work with and it is the more natural position. You then use the H110i as exhaust, dumping CPU waste heat out. The rear fan can continue its exhaust duties to help with GPU heat. Then you leave the front intake alone and don't have to deal with the complications of all that plastic mesh.

Using it as front intake will work, although obviously this restricts the amount of air you can bring into the case and that air is probably going to be 6-10C warmer than it otherwise would be.

That thing is a tricky case. The standard is 200mm fans everywhere, right? How much room is up top? If you have to drill, the top might be easier to work with and it is the more natural position. You then use the H110i as exhaust, dumping CPU waste heat out. The rear fan can continue its exhaust duties to help with GPU heat. Then you leave the front intake alone and don't have to deal with the complications of all that plastic mesh.

There is a rear 140mm, 2x top and 1x side 200mm, and one 230mm front. My plan therefore would be to have the rear and front as intakes and maybe the side as an exhaust - would this be plausible? Or perhaps the front and side as intakes and the rear as an exhaust would work as well.

And I think I will have to drill but only to attach the radiator, so essentially 4 holes which shouldn't be too bad.

There is plenty of room at the top of the case for this setup I would think (I hope haha).

You might be able to reverse the standard flow from back to front (I am probably going to that soon as well), however the two sticking points may be: 1) Will the H110i hoses reach he front mount position; 2) In looking at the front case fascia, I don't see enough room for a 280mm (i.e., 2x140mm is taller than 230mm). Obviously some of the drive bay space is invaded, but is is possible to exhaust through that section of material? Or is this going to dump hot air into a trap in the drive section?

You might be able to reverse the standard flow from back to front (I am probably going to that soon as well), however the two sticking points may be: 1) Will the H110i hoses reach he front mount position; 2) In looking at the front case fascia, I don't see enough room for a 280mm (i.e., 2x140mm is taller than 230mm). Obviously some of the drive bay space is invaded, but is is possible to exhaust through that section of material? Or is this going to dump hot air into a trap in the drive section?

I think there is some confusion here. I don't have any plans of mounting the 2 140mm fans in the front of the case. I just meant that I would keep the HAF X Front and side fans where they are, but keep them as intake fans. Then, I would mount the radiator of the H110i as well as the fans it came with to the top of the case underneath the 200mm top fans the HAF X is designed for.

This is what it would look like at the top of the case (bare with me):

[===][===] 2x 200mm exhaust fans

----------- H110i radiator

[==][==] 2x 140mm intake fans

(inside of case)

I would also keep the rear fan on exhaust.

I guess, ultimately, my concern was just that there was enough air flow within the case. I could always just go with the 2 140mm and remove the 200mm's completely, leaving the 140mm's as exhaust. I just figured with a "push/pull" type setup I'd get better cooling.

I think there is some confusion here. I don't have any plans of mounting the 2 140mm fans in the front of the case. I just meant that I would keep the HAF X Front and side fans where they are, but keep them as intake fans. Then, I would mount the radiator of the H110i as well as the fans it came with to the top of the case underneath the 200mm top fans the HAF X is designed for.

This is what it would look like at the top of the case (bare with me):

[===][===] 2x 200mm exhaust fans

----------- H110i radiator

[==][==] 2x 140mm intake fans

(inside of case)

I would also keep the rear fan on exhaust.

I guess, ultimately, my concern was just that there was enough air flow within the case. I could always just go with the 2 140mm and remove the 200mm's completely, leaving the 140mm's as exhaust. I just figured with a "push/pull" type setup I'd get better cooling.

Completely understand the thought process. I tried a similar setup with my previous Thermaltake MK-Chaser case. I found that it didn't work as I had hoped ... the top fans were so out of sync with the coolers fans that I think that they actually prevented warm radiator air from getting out as well as it should have. If you were to do this, I would strongly suggest that you run some load tests with and without the extra fans at the top ... and be open to it not working as you think it will.

I think some intake and exhaust labels got misplaced, but no matter. I understand what you mean now. That's fine, but my advice is to skip the 200mm above the radiator. It won't help with moving air through the radiator, it likely does complicate the installation, and it is even possible it will act as a restrictor in some circumstances. 200mm fans are not the most useful thing in PC cooling and there is a reason they are so hard to find these days. It's great if you want a gentle breeze on your face. It's terrible if you are trying to move air through a semi-dense layer of mesh, particularly one smaller than the 200mm fan.

First and foremost, thank you for all the replies!

Second, just looking to see if I understand this correctly - the consensus seems to be to just skip the 200mm fans. If I do so, would it be best to then use the 2x 140mm as the exhaust or still keep them as intake? I'm guessing exhaust but just figured I'd ask to be sure.

If you mean moving the air from inside to outside of the case, yes. No reason to dump hot air into your main chamber unless necessary. If you mean what side of the radiator should the fans go on (above or below), it doesn't really matter from a performance perspective. I am a quibbler and fuss about this stuff. My preference is usually for below "pushing" air through the radiator. Most of the time is has slightly better acoustic qualities and the case mesh has an influence on this. There are also reasons to put the fans above, from hiding ugly ones to simply preferring the uniform black of the radiator.