Corsair Community

120 LL fan gone bad?

Nizadar

I've had a new build up and running for a couple weeks now with the following:

6x LL120 RGB fans connected to the RGB Lighting Hub and the PWM headers connected to a Commander PRO.

Using the latest Corsair LINK I've been able to change/update color schemes without any issues. All fans (1-6) have had no issues until earlier tonight.

I've been using "Arc" and I noticed that fan #6 (rear exhaust of case and the last in the line of fans 1-6) was a solid color (not alternating colors like all of the other fans).

I opened up CL and proceeded to change from "Arc" to "Static" and 5 fans updated and 6 did not.

Hmm... I then restarted and the 5 fans displayed the "demo mode" RGB while #6 was still the same color as before. So I then reopened CL and removed all 6 fans and shut down. I also unplugged from the wall for a few minutes just to be safe.

I powered everything back up and the fans all remained dark. Opening and then adding the 6 fans to CL restored RGB to 5 of the 6, but now #6 isn't displaying any color, but the fan is spinning fine.

Thoughts? Did the RGB in the fan go bad?

I've had a couple odd things happen...

Fans #1 & 2 are on my H100i v2 and #3 sits above them. Fan #4 & 5 are top mounted (exhaust) and #6 is on the rear (exhaust).

Turned the system on today and Fans #1 and 2 where in "Arc" mode whereas Fans #3, 4, and 5 were "frozen" in a static color (same color as the Arc, just no movement).

Opened up CL and changed to something else and Fans 1-5 all work fine... still no #6.

RGB controller?

I've got this thing all nice, neat, and tie wrapped. I don't want to open it, but it looks like I'm going to need to to fix whatever is going on. What I don't want to have happen is I replace the fan (#6) and that's not it.

Seen anything like this?

It's been working fine for a couple weeks of light use. Due to the holidays I haven't had a whole lot of time on it, but now I'm starting to use it more as I have time available.

First, you do need to have Link running for the LL fans to have any effects.

Have you tried moving the fan in position 6 to position 1? You should be able to do with without too much trouble (or rewiring).

This will tell us if the fan is bad; the lights operate in series. If one is bad, it takes everything out down the line. So if you move fan 6 to position 1 and they all go out ... we know that fan 6 is bad.

I'm aware that CL needs to be running for the LL fans (since they're software based). I have not tried moving anything yet. Likely will tomorrow.

If I'm reading you correctly take #6 and swap it with #1 then I should have no lights once everything boots up and CL is of course running?

Then that determines if it's the fan or something else (controller)...

Really weird.

Out of nowhere fan #6 just turned on and is staying lit as a static color (one I never set). I opened CL and made a quick change to fan 1 and copied it to fans 2-6 and 6 just stayed lit as the same static color.

Clearly the LEDs work (and always have), but what controls it just randomly turning on after having my pc on for several hours tonight?

I've had one other thing noticeable tonight also I had set the fans to "rainbow wave" and 1 and 2 were just a slight bit ahead of 3,4, and 5 (6 wasn't on at this time). 3,4, and 5 would just lightly blink then switch colors to the correct color (not getting out of sync, but just a touch behind 1 & 2).

Does this make one think the controller? or stick with the plan of swapping #6 with #1?

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies for taking so long to reply.

Earlier tonight I decided it was time to dig in and see what I could do to figure this out. I had ordered a replacement 120 LL fan and opened my case and swapped fans. I proceeded to close everything back up and when I powered up the pc - nothing different. 5 of the 6 fans worked. All 6 are spinning... we're only talking about RGB.

I thought since I swapped fans it had to be a bad RGB controller so I had one more since I bought 2 of the 3-packs of 120 LL fans. I replaced the RGB controller and yet again closed everything back up and powered the pc on... same thing.

I opened CL and removed all fans (each turned dark) then restarted. I added 6 LL fans and once again 5 of the 6 lit up in "rainbow wave".

WTH? I'm at a loss here... replaced both the fan and the RGB controller?

I've even uninstalled the latest version of CL and reinstalled the original version I used to set the system up (4.9.3.25). Same thing 5 of the 6 fans showing RGB color, whereas fan #6 does nothing but spin (no RGB).

Edited by Nizadar

Here are two screenshots. Let me know if you need/want anything else. I'm seriously debating returning the case/fans and getting something that is closed (no window) so I don't have to mess with RGB. It's really bummed me out.

Image #1

Image #2

Appreciate the help. Thank you.

I will also say that when I turn the PC on and log into Windows after CL loads and the RGB goes from demo mode to my selected color scheme fans 1 and 2 are always on point, whereas 3, 4, and 5 lag a bit behind and kind of blink/flash to the right colors... for whatever reason after the system runs for 3-5m everything works fine (except for #6, which has been replaced).

When I initially built this PC it works flawless for nearly 2 or 3 weeks. I don't know if that matters, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

One final note is that the RGB controller and Commander Pro are sharing a two SATA connection power cable to my PSU. Again I'm not sure this is worth mentioning, but more info might help :)

Edited by Nizadar

Have you switched fans 5 & 6? Or, better yet, fan 1 & 6?

I'm inclined to think that you have bad fan. If you swap fan 1 and 6 and they all go out, we have that confirmed.

And they have direct, full SATA connections, correct? No molex-to-sata adapters? Note: for the fan hub and LNP, which use the 5v and 12v rails, it shouldn't matter as molex has the 5v and 12v rails ... but the CoPro does use the 3.3v rail and requires a full SATA connection for proper operation.

I have not switched any fans. I've replaced both fan #6 and the RGB controller. So you are thinking that my replacement for fan #6 is bad?

It's strange (but nothing is ever impossible) that I had a fan go bad (#6) then I replaced it with another bad fan...

PS cable (direct) with 2 SATA connectors (one goes to the Commander Pro, the other to the RGB controller these are the only two connectors on the cable to the PS).

What would you recommend? Swap #1 for #6 and see what happens? If #6 lights then what does that mean? If not then I guess it's bad?

Edited by Nizadar

I have two replacement sets coming from amazon for my 2x 3-pack 120 LL fans. I should receive these in the next day so I'll plan on opening my pc case then, but tonight I noticed something odd so I thought I'd add it to my thread.

I set all 6 fans to "rainbow wave" late last night and shut down. Tonight I powered up and logged into Windows and noticed that fan(s) 1 & 2 were correct (rainbow wave), but fan(s) 3, 4, and 5 where each a different color? 3 was blue (last static color I had set) and 4 was yellowish and 5 was gold/orange?

Regardless I opened CL and changed all to "rainbow wave" and nothing changed. Then I set to static and after a couple minutes fan(s) 3, 4, and 5 flipped to the correct color.

6 still has not shown any signs of life, but I'm starting to wonder if my issue isn't somewhere else in the chain?

• 2 months later...

So, from my personal problem that seemed similar to yours, i came to the conclusion that it was a software problem.

I to got a completely new fan set and a commander, but the problem was still there, my "Faulty" products got testet from where i bought them, and they couldnt find any problems on their machine.

Do you have any updates ? is it fixed ?