Corsair Community

Tested cooling configs, PC then went very slow, CPU overheats, pump shows 6k RPMs

The_XXI

So I can't really turn on my PC right now since it shows overheating, going close to 80-90°c a few seconds/minutes after boot... I was messing with fan configs after getting a new case and trying to see if I could get some °C since the CPU was gradually getting hotter these last weeks, but still had some big fluctuations and went down to 35°c sometimes. Then on the last fan change, the PC was really slow to start, I went into BIOS, god damn pump shows 6K+ RPM, but there's no signs of heat on the radiator. I believe the warranty ends in 2 months, but really I'd rather go with a new product even though I don't really have the money right now.

So, let's summaries:

- i7 3930K OCd at 4,5

- A 5 years old H60 cooling it down

- Case swap a few days ago

- After last cooling tests, PC was slow to boot

- BIOS shows pump running at 6-7k RPM, it's normally 4-5k RPM

- I did test multiple three pins

- PC is able to reach OS, again the only problem I see is the liquid not reaching the radiator

QUESTIONS:

- Is 5 years a good lifetime for a H60?

- Would the 6K RPM on the pump be faulty infos due to the heat? Or is it indeed running but something stops the liquid from reaching the radiator?

- What CPU cooling model would you recommend to cool down a 4,5 Ghz 6 cores? Knowing that at idle with the H60 it was ranging from 30°C in its best days, and 50 in its not so best days.

Edited by The_XXI
SOLVED

First, let me say that I'm not familiar with the H60.

With that said, what you are describing sounds like blockage or something has broken loose. If your CPU is getting to that temp, you should notice some warmth in the radiator. Granted, it won't heat up as quickly as the CPU does but it should be noticeable. This is pretty much true for any water cooler. It's possible that, as you switched cases, you jiggled something that was barely hanging on completely loose.

Without knowing your case, it's hard to say what cooler to go with if you were to get a new one. The H80i V2 would fit in the same 120mm fan mount but it's also a good deal "fatter" because the radiator is thicker and it has 2 fans. The larger coolers (240/280mm) certainly do a better job; those would be the better candidates if you can do it. If you have a stock cooler or other air cooler laying around, I'd set your clock back to stock and use that for now.

IMHO, 5 years is a pretty good run for any cooler. Even air coolers would need the fan replaced in that time.

Yes, 5 years is a pretty good life for any AIO cooler, particularly if it sees heavy action. What you are describing sounds like a blockage. Temps are bad from the start and get worse as the coolant doesn't circulate. Then a something comes free and they drop for a little while, only for the issue to reoccur as the debris continues to circulate. Normal pump speed for a H60 is about 4000-4200. Rather than a faulty reading, the pump may actually be trying to spin that high in the abnormally pressurized environment. Also, the H60 might be the one without a pump divider and so the RPMs are really double what we think of as speed. a 2100 rpm pump spiking to 3000 as it becomes pressurized in a small space is more believable. Either way, you do need a replacement.

Either way, you do need a replacement.

IMHO, 5 years is a pretty good run for any cooler.

Well... Alright.

So I looked up many things, I'm lucky to have my seller open in 5 hours. H80i v2 and H100i v2 are contenders I'm looking into. Thought I'm not sure I can fit the 240 and I'm afraid to run it dry if I put it on top.

My GPU is large, my case is medium, the 400C. with its thick tubes, I'm afraid the H100 won't have room to fit. The H60 was very tight at the middle front slot because of the GPU and the tubes.

If you guys have recommendations or can lift some concerns, go ahead.

What is your GPU and how long is it?

H100i V2 should fit in the front, top two positions. It'll provide better clearance for the GPU over the H80i V2, which is pretty deep (2 fans + thick radiator) and also better cooling overall.

If you look on Corsair's page for the 400C, that looks like exactly what they have pictured. (http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-clear-400c-compact-mid-tower-case)

And the fact that it's upside down doesn't factor in anything? It's still all good as if it were the other way around?

Since there's a bit of air in the loop I thought it would be better to have it facing down.

EDIT: Well after a quick look, it doesn't seem to matter.

EDIT 2: For ultimate cooling I'd like some push-pull if I ever go with the 240, now, I should use the same type of fans on each side, right? Or only the SP on the push side? And I can go with my cheap fans on the pull side? Does RPM matter aswell, do they need to match on each side?

Edited by The_XXI

There shouldn't be air in a closed loop system.

So ... I've seen tests indicating that SP for push, AF for pull was actually the best for cooling performance. Honestly, though, you're probably only looking at 1 or 2C. The key thing is that they are relatively balanced.

As for "cheap fans" ... what do you mean by "cheap fans"?

Last post.

Installed the new beast, it shows fantastic results. I'm in a somewhat cold room (18-21°C?), and the proprietary motherboard soft (AI Suite II, w/ Rampage IV Extreme) shows me 23°C for the CPU (HWiNFO shows +5°C in Rainmeter). This is idling/browsing, so 30-32°C maximum if I refer to HWiNFO and 25-27 tops if I refer to the ASUS soft.

The radiator is in push-pull on the two upper slots of the front panel, the two default fans in push, and the H60 default fan + a basic NZXT case fan for pull.

I'm satisfied, I hope I'll last 5 years again. And I'll buy a Noctua or whatever good air cooler I can find for emergencies. Thx for the help and happy everything.

Excellent! One thought ... those fans are 4 years old now. May be time to look at replacing them; bearings do wear out. And, personally, I've found that "cheap" fans are exactly that ... "cheap" and not worth having unless you plan on replacing them.

Now ... this also comes from someone that had "cheap" fans on a hard drive enclosure/cage that died. And then the hard drives died. Drives with pictures of the kids. And the wife was mad. I managed to recover it all but I paid, dearly, for those "cheap" fans.

I understand, well, now the case has 4 newly purchased fans out of 8 fans total. GPU sits between 35-40°C, CPU sits below 30. Case pressure is balanced I reckon, all fans are kicking, I have many system sensors showing at all time + graphs, I do need to make proper backups even though I do have some basic backups, main SSD is 1 year old, HDD are 5 and 3-2 years. The 5 year is old OS host, healthy but making noise, nothing completely critical written on it, and the other isn't used as much.

I'm lucky to never had any major problems with my tech. Don't know if it's me, the use, or the tech, but unlike many people, I never saw proper unusual failure on hardware and software.

Good on you to warn me though.