Corsair Community

RGB fan hub & Commander partially working with Link, partially not

Mr Carbohydrate

Hi everybody - first time poster looking for some help.

I have a variant of the "Only 1 fan lights up" problem using Link and LL140 fans, but I have a few other problems as well. My fans are spinning at low RPM, Link can see the Commander, but it can't set the speed of the fans (they're reporting as 0RPM) and when I connect the RGB fan hub directly to the Commander it doesn't light up, even when I add the fans in Link. So it's sort of working... sort of not.

I've read lots of similar posts on this forum but I haven't found one that has the same symptoms. Apologies if this topic has already been covered though. I'd really welcome some suggestions on what I'm doing wrong or what I can try next (or if I need to RMA...)

I have:

• 5 LL140s connected to the RGB fan hub, which then goes into channel 1 of the Lighting Node pro
  • 4 RGB lighting strips daisy chained into channel 2 of the Lighting Node Pro. These work and I have full control over them via Link.
  • 1 Corsair Commander with the 5 4-pin fan cables attached to ports 1-5 in the same order as the fans RGB cables
  • Corsair Link 4.9.4.28
  • Commander Pro firmware 0.4.173/Bootloader version 0.3
  • Corsair Lighting Node Pro firmware 0.5.104/Bootloader version 2.0
  • Everything is brand new and was only unboxed yesterday.

Things I've tried to fix it so far are:

• Connecting each fan to the working port on the RGB fan hub (each one lit up, although only when connected to port one, and never more than one fan at a time).
  • Connecting the RGB fan hub directly into the Commander Pro and not using the LN Pro. That sort of worked (only one fan lit up) but then... didn't. Windows played the "device disconnect" sound out of the blue and then it was gone...
  • Connecting the RGB fan hub to the different channels of the LN Pro and the Commander (when it worked). No change.
  • Re-seating all of the USB and SATA connections. They're tight.
  • Making sure the 4-pin and RGB connectors for each fan are installed in the same order in both RGB fan hub and Commander Pro. They are and there are no gaps.
  • Checking each of the LEDs in the fans is working by connecting them to port 1 of the fan hub. Can't see any bad LEDs.
  • Flashing the last 5 or 6 firmwares for LN Pro and Commander Pro. No change.
  • Previous versions of Link 4.9. No change.

There are a couple of other things that strike me as odd:

• Neither LN Pro or Commander show up in Device Manager
  • Commander has an LED on it that doesn't light up
  • The connector from the Fan Hub to the LN Pro is only 2 pin but all of the others RGB connectors are 3 pin.

Am I missing something really obvious or even something not that obvious? I'm stumped for what to do next.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

• Like 1

Hi everybody - first time poster looking for some help.

I have a variant of the "Only 1 fan lights up" problem using Link and LL140 fans, but I have a few other problems as well. My fans are spinning at low RPM, Link can see the Commander, but it can't set the speed of the fans (they're reporting as 0RPM) and when I connect the RGB fan hub directly to the Commander it doesn't light up, even when I add the fans in Link. So it's sort of working... sort of not.

I've read lots of similar posts on this forum but I haven't found one that has the same symptoms. Apologies if this topic has already been covered though. I'd really welcome some suggestions on what I'm doing wrong or what I can try next (or if I need to RMA...)

I have:

• 5 LL140s connected to the RGB fan hub, which then goes into channel 1 of the Lighting Node pro
  • 4 RGB lighting strips daisy chained into channel 2 of the Lighting Node Pro. These work and I have full control over them via Link.
  • 1 Corsair Commander with the 5 4-pin fan cables attached to ports 1-5 in the same order as the fans RGB cables
  • Corsair Link 4.9.4.28
  • Commander Pro firmware 0.4.173/Bootloader version 0.3
  • Corsair Lighting Node Pro firmware 0.5.104/Bootloader version 2.0
  • Everything is brand new and was only unboxed yesterday.

Things I've tried to fix it so far are:

• Connecting each fan to the working port on the RGB fan hub (each one lit up, although only when connected to port one, and never more than one fan at a time).
  • Connecting the RGB fan hub directly into the Commander Pro and not using the LN Pro. That sort of worked (only one fan lit up) but then... didn't. Windows played the "device disconnect" sound out of the blue and then it was gone...
  • Connecting the RGB fan hub to the different channels of the LN Pro and the Commander (when it worked). No change.
  • Re-seating all of the USB and SATA connections. They're tight.
  • Making sure the 4-pin and RGB connectors for each fan are installed in the same order in both RGB fan hub and Commander Pro. They are and there are no gaps.
  • Checking each of the LEDs in the fans is working by connecting them to port 1 of the fan hub. Can't see any bad LEDs.
  • Flashing the last 5 or 6 firmwares for LN Pro and Commander Pro. No change.
  • Previous versions of Link 4.9. No change.

There are a couple of other things that strike me as odd:

• Neither LN Pro or Commander show up in Device Manager
  • Commander has an LED on it that doesn't light up
  • The connector from the Fan Hub to the LN Pro is only 2 pin but all of the others RGB connectors are 3 pin.

Am I missing something really obvious or even something not that obvious? I'm stumped for what to do next.

Man your good!,, if only everyone did this!,, top work fella..

aside from asking if you have the Commander Pro on a Molex to Sata converter? not much more i can suggest.. others that can should be along soon though.

to add.. the LED on the Commander pro lets you know when its communicating with connected ( I series Psu's) devices.. its not a power led ;)

Thanks for the reply fella - I figure the more info I share the more likely people will be able to help. Or at least to mock the hilarious rookie mistakes I’ve made :)

Yes it’s all plugged directly into SATA connectors. I don’t have any Molex in the system. It feels like a driver/firmware thing because everything’s getting power but I’m struggling to think of what to try next.

And I did not know that about the LED on the Commander. That rules out one possible line of enquiry.

Cheers!

just noticed your Z370,, i think there are issues on that platform with link.. might be unconnected,, will go see what i can find..

i could be wrong though.... might have been to do with RGB ram

Edited by Zotty

Wow - thanks dude I really appreciate the help. Happy to be taught to suck eggs if it'll get my shiny lights working :) I've built a fair few systems so sort of know my way around but I'm far from an expert.

I didn't get a button controller with the kit. I only have the LN Pro, the RGB fan hub (both of which came in a kit with 2 LL140s) and the Commander Pro, which I bought separately. I have tested each of the fans in the working port on the fan controller though and they light up as they should, but only individually and only in port 1 of the fan hub.

The USBXp driver is showing up and working correctly in Device Manager (driver version 3.3.0.0 FWIW) and all of the drivers for the mobo and Windows are up to date - it's a new system that I built yesterday and that was pretty much my first task after ditching Edge :)

I put together a diagram so I could "see" what you have.

Drawing931899.png?psid=1

Now ... one difference I have here is that I have your RBG control connected to the Commander Pro, rather than the Lighting Node Pro. Either way would work; with the Commander Pro and your current RGB setup, you don't need the Lighting Node Pro.

Can your review and make sure that I've captured it?

And can you please post a screen capture of your Link configuration screen?

On some of the things that seemed odd:

[*]Neither LN Pro or Commander show up in Device Manager

They are probably there and listed under "Human Interface Devices" as "HID-compliant device" or something equally non-descriptive. You can right-click on them one at a time and find them by looking at the Hardware Ids (VID_1B1C&PID_0C0B for the LNP and VID_1B1C&PID_0C10) or you can download USBDView (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html) and see them there. I went into my registry and manually gave them friendly names.

[*]The connector from the Fan Hub to the LN Pro is only 2 pin but all of the others RGB connectors are 3 pin.

Yeah, that's correct. The 4 pins are for power, ground, data in and data out. The RGB Fan controller doesn't need power and, therefore, ground, just the data in and data out.

You've done a great job going through all of the obvious stuff. Not sure if we can help but gonna give it a shot!

Wow - I've seen lots of your diagrams in this forum in the last 24 hours and now I have my own! Thanks man!

That is what I have connected at the moment, with the one difference being the change you made to have the RGB connected to the Commander. I originally connected it all without the LN Pro at all, but then the Commander just stopped working last night, which is why I introduced the LN Pro to try and rule it out as a cause.

Link config attached and I'm scanning my Device Manager to see if I can find those HIDs (thank you for that - really helpful).

LinkConfig.thumb.jpg.16d71e9adbe65a4fdbe8de472c7eb5ee.jpg

Wow - I've seen lots of your diagrams in this forum in the last 24 hours and now I have my own! Thanks man!

No problem! I find them helpful. And, honestly, the idea was all Zotty's. I just put it into Visio so it was easier to do.

That is what I have connected at the moment, with the one difference being the change you made to have the RGB connected to the Commander. I originally connected it all without the LN Pro at all, but then the Commander just stopped working last night, which is why I introduced the LN Pro to try and rule it out as a cause.

Good call ... doesn't change too much but it may be something we play with.

Link config attached and I'm scanning my Device Manager to see if I can find those HIDs (thank you for that - really helpful).

Try using USBDView ... it's far less painful. Corsair's Vendor ID is 1B1C and in USBDView, you can sort by the Vendor ID.

LOL @ Zotty

So this is interesting: using USBDView I can see the Lighting Node Pro by name, but the Commander is just called "Port#0014.Hub_#0001". I've attached a screenshot of the properties tab.

Device Manager doesn't show either Lighting Node Pro or Commander by name, though.

...and it's showing as not connected too...

[edit]

Tried reconnecting using USBDView and it wouldn't... but I'm wondering if the Commander itself is OK, but it has a snarled up installation and is wrongly identified as a different type of USB device. When it randomly disconnected, Windows gave me a notification saying I had a problem with an audio device. Looking into the details of the device config in DM it has the "last known parent" ID as my Void headphones. So... if I disconnect and remove all references to the Commander in Windows DM, then reinstall I wonder if it will pick it up correctly. Or is that crazy talk?

Wouldn't explain what's wrong with the RGB fan hub, but I can get to that later as it might be a separate problem.

CommanderHID.png.49d9e3c7924ba609f8ff0d0500841542.png

Edited by Mr Carbohydrate

LOL @ Zotty

So this is interesting: using USBDView I can see the Lighting Node Pro by name, but the Commander is just called "Port#0014.Hub_#0001". I've attached a screenshot of the properties tab.

This is interesting. It's not recognized by Windows.

Device Manager doesn't show either Lighting Node Pro or Commander by name, though.

Yeah ... it won't. Not unless you hack your registry (like I did).

...and it's showing as not connected too...

Now ... that's interesting. That certainly explains the device disconnect chime. Have you updated the chipset drivers or are you running with the ones that Windows automatically installed? The Asus site only lists 10.1.1.44 for the chipset drivers but other vendors (Gigabyte, for example) has 10.1.1.45 for the z370 chipset.

Also, USBDView will allow you to Disable a Device and then Re-enable it (the Disable/Enable in one shot doesn't seem to work; you have to do it separately). Can you try that for the CoPro?

So ... a little note on some things that Link does: if it finds the device at any point, it shows it on the screen. If the device is disconnected, it just doesn't update; Link never removes something that has been detected, at least until you completely restart Link. If you exit Link and come back in, I'd bet that it doesn't show the Commander Pro.

LOL @ Zotty

[edit]

Tried reconnecting using USBDView and it wouldn't... but I'm wondering if the Commander itself is OK, but it has a snarled up installation and is wrongly identified as a different type of USB device. When it randomly disconnected, Windows gave me a notification saying I had a problem with an audio device. Looking into the details of the device config in DM it has the "last known parent" ID as my Void headphones. So... if I disconnect and remove all references to the Commander in Windows DM, then reinstall I wonder if it will pick it up correctly. Or is that crazy talk?

Wouldn't explain what's wrong with the RGB fan hub, but I can get to that later as it might be a separate problem.

Nope, that's not crazy talk.

I haven't updated the chipset drivers yet - it still has 10.1.1.44.

I tried disabling and then enabling the CoPro but no dice, unfortunately. I'm going to have a go at removing the CoPro manually in DM and seeing what happens.

I also didn't realise Link doesn't refresh the device list; given it's constantly updating with temp and RPM info and the like, it kind of implies that it does that :)

But that said, although Windows doesn't recognise the device Link must do as I've used it to flash the firmware as part of trouble shooting. Deeply odd.

But that said, although Windows doesn't recognise the device Link must do as I've used it to flash the firmware as part of trouble shooting. Deeply odd.

Isnt Link showing the commander for temps and fans but no rpms? or have things changed since your last Link config screen shot?

That's right, but it's also showing it as an LED device.

I've just disabled/re-enabled it on USBDView, then reflashed the device and now it's showing as "Commander Pro" om USBDView (attached and I also attached the window showing all devices as there are a couple Windows doesn't recognise).

[Edit]

So there's some progress, but I still can't control it in Link :/

CommanderHID2.png.bf34fc8e05a17f15905c39d99671ba37.png

USBDView.thumb.jpg.fa73f30f21e7cd0c48fe0d0e30d11ad2.jpg