Corsair Community

issues with new ram

BronzeAngel

I recently bought TWINX1024-3200C2PT and put it on eMachine T2825. Only difference is I added in a 9600XT instead of the onboard card.

I booted up just fine, but, my computer began to restart randomly every once in a while. Running memtest yielded 5 seperate errors. So, I sent the ram back and got two new sticks. Now, having run memtest, I get no errors, but my comptuer still restarts randomly. I removed the ram, and I stopped getting this problem. Any ideas?

Can you tell me the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

The CPU is running at 2.1 GHz, while the FSB is 333 MHz. In regards to the BIOS settings, when I loaded it up, I found very little reference to the CPU and memory whatsoever. However, I haven't updated my BIOS since i bought the computer a little over a year ago. In addition, i know of no specific performance settings I have set. Perhaps the fact that i have neglected to upgrade my BIOS is causing this problem?

• Corsair Employees

First thing, please get the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the following settings and test the system with http://www.memtest.org to be sure.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

First thing, please get the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the following settings and test the system with http://www.memtest.org to be sure.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

In regards to upgrading the bios, I looked into the procedure, and, at the risk of sounding rather foolish, I am not entirely sure whether or not I can complete the it. From what I can tell, if I make a mistake, my motherboard is dead....and I'm not confident enough in my abilities to risk that. Do you have any advice or whatnot that could help me in upgrading this?

Well, I ended up having to update via floppy. The updating process itself seemed to go smooth, however now my computer either won't fully load, or my moniter no longer functions. When I start up, I get a great deal more hard drive access than usual, then it stops, and my moniter just seems to kinda give out, going into standby mode. Any idea why this won't work or what I can do to fix it? Supposedly removing the CMOS battery for a while would reset this, but I can't seem to get it to come out.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry that you are having so much trouble, but yes I would try and clear the bios and see if it will let the system post. I would try and unplug the power and remove batter for about an hour and see if that will force a bios reset. But I would suggest you contact the MB maker as well and see what they have to say!

Archived