Corsair Community

H100I V2 Cooling Problem

Limits

Hi all,

I purchased a Corsair H100i V2 around October 2016. Set the pump speed and fan speed to quiet mode (pump at ~1100RPM). All was working awesome for half a year until around July 2017 when I noticed that the fans spools up while playing games (which it never did previously). So I checked the temps and noticed that it got higher while playing games. I remedied that by setting the pump speed to performance (~2000 RPM) and it kept the problem at bay for around a few weeks.

Then it got worse as the CPU gets hot easily if the pumps are not at performance mode. So I blew the dust out of the radiators hoping it will fix the problem and it did not. About last week, I browsed Corsair forum and found out about the BIOS setting the CPU_FAN to 100%. Tried that and found out that my pumps were under fed. Now my pump speeds are faster (~2000 RPM Quiet mode and ~3000 RPM Peformance mode). Thus, I can cool using pumps in quiet mode like when I first installed the unit. This lasted around one day. Yesterday, my pumps must be at performance mode otherwise the CPU reaches 50+ degrees on idle.

For today, I took the pump block off the CPU and cleaned all the paste thoroughly. Then re-applied new paste and found out the problem got even worse. Now with pumps in performance mode, the CPU gets really close to 50 degrees on idle.

I think this is a pump issue but the Corsair Link shows pump speed at ~3000 RPM. I also suspect there may somehow be a blockage in there somewhere as I hear liquid bubble noises in the radiator whenever I start the system.

Please advise. The PC with this problem is the one listed under my username.

Regards,

Limits

You have a flow problem, but whether it is a blockage or pump related is another matter and one you don’t have to solve. If you open Link at cold boot and look at the H100i Temp, you will probably see the value climb into the 50’s, the same as the idle CPU temp. If this value is in the low in the 20’s with high cpu idle temps, you have a different problem. Use the support ticket system to start the RMA process. Leave out the first part of the story where you undervolt the pump for the first year.

Another wrinkle is the timing is poor and Corsair is about to go on holiday. In the past, this has included RMA and shipping. Your unit seems to be at a critical stage. If you have a back up cooler, put it on. If not, you may want to get one or make a different selection and use the replacement H100i v2 as the future back up.

I want to thank you for taking the time to help in addition to reading my long passage up there. I am making plans on replacing the cooler while starting the rma.

If this value is in the low in the 20’s with high cpu idle temps, you have a different problem.

By the way, what problem would this be? Contact problem? Just curious.

I

By the way, what problem would this be? Contact problem? Just curious.

yes, most often a contact problem between CPU and cold plate, however it can also be high voltage or extreme loads. Lots of people getting new CPUs decide to run Prime95 as their first step and can't figure out why they see temps in the low 80's with that 1.41 auto voltage.

If its a blockage....

Might be worth removing the Pump and Rad and giving it all a slight shake/3d rotation movements (tip it upside down etc).. this has been know to clear the filter just before the pump impeller which can be restricted enough to stop flow.. worth a try and has been known to give coolers many more years on the job.. no guarantees though

Archived