Corsair Community

Repeated App Crashes, Link v4.9.3.25

c3k

I've got v4.9.3.25 running on my Win10 machine.

I get an application crash every couple of days.

Here's some of the error info.

+++++++++++++

Source

Corsair LINK 4

Summary

Stopped working

Date

‎12/‎10/‎2017 5:37 PM

Status

Report sent

Description

Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\CorsairLink4\CorsairLink4.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: CorsairLink4.exe

Application Version: 4.9.3.25

Application Timestamp: 5a1837ff

Fault Module Name: atiadlxx.dll

Fault Module Version: 23.20.788.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 59fb6177

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00022d62

OS Version: 10.0.16299.2.0.0.768.101

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 2beb

Additional Information 2: 2beba6fb4680d73a8c78ca7c24ccdb46

Additional Information 3: 3ad0

Additional Information 4: 3ad0e9f4486e91d86927e4a71227ee49

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 3b0581036984800391a6fb36aa783914 (1271980156985555220)

+++++++++++++

I've got all sorts of screenshots I'd post if there's a way to directly link or upload them here.

This software continually and reliably fails.

Can you look in C:\ProgramData\CLink4 for an error log and post it here? You can add attachments to your post.

Do earlier versions work better for you?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't see an error log. I'll try to attach the image of that folder to this post. If one of those files will help sort this, I'll be happy to attach it.

Earlier versions were also unreliable.

5932628_Clink4files.JPG.c3779e3cf0fbb995e2d6dbaef67f9fb6.JPG

Please also add your system specs to your user profile, it helps us diagnose problems.

Alright, I've gone and stuck all the specs into my sig.

Another fun part of this? When I wake my computer from sleep, if Link4 is still running, there is about a 10 second period in which my mouse curser is EXTREMELY unresponsive. It lags about 5 seconds and moves at 1/4 speed (or slower). Then, it'll suddenly "catch up" with the movements I've commanded. After that, it's fine.

It's as if Link4 is being a total resource hog while my system wakes up.

I had another app crash today, while waking up my machine to post this. Would the data from that one be of any assistance? (Not being snarky. I have dozens of Link4 app crash reports to choose from. Dozens upon dozens.)

Thanks.

Edited by c3k

In your screen cap, client_trace and service_trace may be useful. These come from having debug logging turned out (it may be a good idea to run that on now too).

Also, in Event Viewer, see if there is an entry from the .NET Runtime at the same time as the crash dump.

Both of these are more useful in diagnosing the issue as they show a stack trace that tells us exactly where the problem is in the application. The generic Windows entry that you posted doesn't.

Question: have you tried going back to an earlier version of Link?

In your screen cap, client_trace and service_trace may be useful. These come from having debug logging turned out (it may be a good idea to run that on now too).

Also, in Event Viewer, see if there is an entry from the .NET Runtime at the same time as the crash dump.

Both of these are more useful in diagnosing the issue as they show a stack trace that tells us exactly where the problem is in the application. The generic Windows entry that you posted doesn't.

Question: have you tried going back to an earlier version of Link?

1. Turning on debug logging. I have just found that setting. I turned it on.

2a. I went into Event Viewer/Windows Logs/System and filtered for .NET Runtime errors. There are none.

2b. In Event Viewer/Windows Logs/Application, I filtered for .NET Runtime errors and got a bunch pointing at Link4. I have attached them.

Ooops. Cannot attach. Apparently .evtx is an invalid file to attach to this forum. Ideas?

Here's one copy:

+++++++++++

Application: CorsairLink4.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException

at PInvokeDelegateFactoryInternalWrapperType0.ADL_Main_Control_Create(ADL_Main_Memory_AllocDelegate, Int32)

at CorsairLink4.Module.DisplayAdapter.Amd.ADL.ADL_Main_Control_Create()

at CorsairLink4.Module.DisplayAdapter.Amd.AmdDisplayAdapterComponent.GetDevices()

at CorsairLink4.Module.DisplayAdapter.Amd.AmdDisplayAdapterComponent+<Accept>d__0.MoveNext()

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder.Start[[CorsairLink4.Module.DisplayAdapter.Amd.AmdDisplayAdapterComponent+<Accept>d__0, CorsairLink4.Module.DisplayAdapter, Version=4.9.3.25, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]](<Accept>d__0 ByRef)

at CorsairLink4.Module.DisplayAdapter.Amd.AmdDisplayAdapterComponent.Accept(CorsairLink4.Common.Shared.Communication.ISensorVisitor)

at CorsairLink4.Core.Services.Devices.DeviceMonitoringService+<HandleDeviceDataQueryRequest>d__0.MoveNext()

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncVoidMethodBuilder.Start[[CorsairLink4.Core.Services.Devices.DeviceMonitoringService+<HandleDeviceDataQueryRequest>d__0, CorsairLink4.Core, Version=4.9.3.25, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]](<HandleDeviceDataQueryRequest>d__0 ByRef)

at CorsairLink4.Core.Services.Devices.DeviceMonitoringService.HandleDeviceDataQueryRequest(System.Object)

at System.Reactive.AnonymousObserver`1[[system.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].OnNextCore(System.__Canon)

at System.Reactive.ObserverBase`1[[system.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].OnNext(System.__Canon)

at CorsairLink4.Core.Services.DataService.<.ctor>b__5()

at Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Client.HubProxyExtensions.ExecuteCallback(System.String, Int32, Int32, System.Action)

at Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Client.HubProxyExtensions+<>c__DisplayClass1_0.<On>b__0(System.Collections.Generic.IList`1<Newtonsoft.Json.Linq.JToken>)

at Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Client.Hubs.Subscription.OnReceived(System.Collections.Generic.IList`1<Newtonsoft.Json.Linq.JToken>)

at Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Client.Hubs.HubProxy.InvokeEvent(System.String, System.Collections.Generic.IList`1<Newtonsoft.Json.Linq.JToken>)

at Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Client.HubConnection.OnMessageReceived(Newtonsoft.Json.Linq.JToken)

at Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Client.Connection+<>c__DisplayClass161_0.<Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Client.IConnection.OnReceived>b__1()

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecutionContextCallback(System.Object)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(System.Threading.Tasks.Task ByRef)

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteEntry(Boolean)

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()

at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

+++++++++++

3. No, I have not tried going back to an earlier version. Frankly, I have not been very happy with the software, so I have simply ignored it when it stopped working.

Not being snarky...my other rig with NZXT's CAM is much more trouble-free. I've relegated Link to the "too buggy to be worthwhile" bin. With the latest update, I thought I'd give it another shot. (I found myself with a little spare time that day.)

This is the first build in which I was able to successfully link my fans to the controller such that their speed is accurately and reliably controlled by the coolant temperature.

I'd like this to work. I appreciate the time you're taking.

Regards,

Ken

Edited to add: The Service Trace log also cannot be attached. Ideas?

Client_Trace.log

Thanks for this ... we aren't going to be able to fix it here but it's certainly good information for Corsair Dustin & The Dev Team.

I gotta be honest with you ... it looks like we're getting a bunch of these from folks with AMD display adapters.

Have you recently updated the display drivers?

Thanks for this ... we aren't going to be able to fix it here but it's certainly good information for Corsair Dustin & The Dev Team.

I gotta be honest with you ... it looks like we're getting a bunch of these from folks with AMD display adapters.

Have you recently updated the display drivers?

I don't update them often. The current ones I have installed are v17.11.1 (The first one AMD released in November of 2017). So, it can't be that old. However, I think the LINK4 install is newer.

(Pet peeve? AMD does not have an export/import for the game profiles you create. So, if you uninstall and do a clean install, you lose every tweak you've ever made. If you install over a previous install, you can keep your profiles and other settings, but greatly increase the odds of a corrupt install. This is why I rarely update my AMD settings. Nvidia allows you to export, so I update my NVidia drivers more frequently.)

Thanks for the efforts. I hope something in here can help lead to a resolution. I'd like this software to work.

I don't update them often. The current ones I have installed are v17.11.1 (The first one AMD released in November of 2017). So, it can't be that old. However, I think the LINK4 install is newer.

(Pet peeve? AMD does not have an export/import for the game profiles you create. So, if you uninstall and do a clean install, you lose every tweak you've ever made. If you install over a previous install, you can keep your profiles and other settings, but greatly increase the odds of a corrupt install. This is why I rarely update my AMD settings. Nvidia allows you to export, so I update my NVidia drivers more frequently.)

Thanks for the efforts. I hope something in here can help lead to a resolution. I'd like this software to work.

OK ... I hate to ask you this but I've been noticing a common thread here ... there are definitely some issues between AMD GPUs and Link. We've got the phantom video cards as well as the crashes that you and at least one other person have been reporting. Both of the crash dumps, btw, point to the AMD GPU driver. Which is why I'm gonna ask you to try updating your AMD driver to 17.12.2 to see if that helps.

I'm not saying that it's a bug in the AMD driver or that it's a bug in Link; I don't know. But if you update the driver and the crashes go away or at least reduce, then we have a likely culprit.

OK ... I hate to ask you this but I've been noticing a common thread here ... there are definitely some issues between AMD GPUs and Link. We've got the phantom video cards as well as the crashes that you and at least one other person have been reporting. Both of the crash dumps, btw, point to the AMD GPU driver. Which is why I'm gonna ask you to try updating your AMD driver to 17.12.2 to see if that helps.

I'm not saying that it's a bug in the AMD driver or that it's a bug in Link; I don't know. But if you update the driver and the crashes go away or at least reduce, then we have a likely culprit.

Okay. As stated above, AMD drivers sometimes don't do well with an overwrite. The best way I've found to update them is to delete, restart, then install the new one. There is no export/import function for the various gaming profiles in AMD's driver which take time to create and optimize for each game.

It's a royal pita to wipe AMD drivers. (Much worse than Nvidia.)

I'll update the AMD driver...but I seriously doubt that's the issue.

(It seems more fruitful to de-link the Link4 software from the video card. (It shows two fans...as if they're independently controlled. I think my MSI r9 390, which has two fans, does not spin them independently.)

I'll update the driver the first week of January.

Update: You can update the drivers but I don't think it'll help. There's another user on the forum that has the exact same issue (and the same scenario ... except his R9's are in Crossfire mode).

What did help was rolling back the version of the CPUID SDK that Link uses and disabling Crossfire mode.

Let me know if you are open to giving that a shot ...