Corsair Community

Awkward fan revving

Kodon

Heyho,

I have a custom water-cooling setup with probes for temperature in the loop.

My plan is to use the Commander Pro to control the fan speed using the measurements from the probes.

Reading the temperatures works great but I have a problem with the fan speeds.

They jump around like crazy no matter the setting.

If I try to fix the speed to say 1000 rpm it bounces between like 300 rpm and 1800 rpm.

When I leave the Commander Pro out of the equation and use the mobo fan headers and Speedfan to control them, everything works smoothly with no revving with jumps between +-50 rpm.

My fans are EK-Vardar EVO 140ER (2000rpm).

Any suggestions? I was really looking forward to control my fans with the actual water temperature to avoid random revving.

I assume that the temperature sensors are connected to the CoPro directly?

Can you tell if the fans are actually changing speed that rapidly or is it, perhaps, a funky reading?

Have you set the fans to 4-pin/PWM in Link?

And I've seen funky readings from fans that were attached to a PWM-to-DC hub. It went away when I got rid of the hub. Do you have a splitter or any other device between the CoPro and the fans that could be the source of the readings?

Thanks for the reply.

The sensors are connected to the Commander, yes. This is one of the main reasons I decided to get it.

Sadly, the fans are actually revving and it's not just a weird graph. I could totally live with odd readings but working fans.

I could not locate a setting to toggle 3/4 pin.

There is a fan hub involved, but it's an active one. It uses a seperate molex for power and the PWM signal of one fan only is used as a master signal. The rest are slaves and don't matter. It's not PWM to DC.

I also already tried using only one fan connected directly to the CoPro, same issue...

I've attached some images.

temp.PNG.e73489386d337639f62bb3613391e62b.PNG

rev.PNG.efda75efe3e38554624e4849337f6b53.PNG

rev2.PNG.0c3aa59587d1a1b869f9ad9cad6d56d4.PNG

rev3.PNG.b59dfedb37ef030f19aab3ebbe27a7cb.PNG

Found it! I overlooked that you have to scroll horizontically. I set all fans to 4 pin... no luck.

Of course they can't go to 14.000 rpm, 2000 is max. This is why I initially suspected the fan hub as it would add the rpms together or something but it really just hands down the signal from a single fan. Works flawlessly on mobo header.

I'm confused as heck. The peaks are even spikier now.

On the side: I noticed that my measured wattage out of the PSU is "0" and one of the two LEDs on it is flashing orange (red?). I highly doubt that the AX1500i can't handle a few fans though.

rev4.PNG.d493088a9f26d817c092b198bef29393.PNG

I can't say for sure - Corsair would have to chime in - but, if anything, I would suspect a possible firmware issue.

When I saw this, I simply ignored it ... it didn't seem to actually rev the fans. It just seemed to think that it did. But, in your case, you're indicating that it's actually revving the fans as well.

What's the make/model of the fan hub that you are using?

have you tried connecting individual fans to the Commander Pro? I know you mentioned that you connected the hub to the motherboard and didn't see the issue but I don't think that you mentioned that you connected fans directly to the CoPro.

In my case, the issue when away when I did that.

• Corsair Employees
Can you post a couple of screenshots of what's going on with your Link? Erratic fan behavior even after specifying the type of fan connected to the Commander Pro is unusual, and the PSU reading sounds equally bizarre. It looks like we have two problems to diagnose, not one.

Found it! I overlooked that you have to scroll horizontically. I set all fans to 4 pin... no luck.

Of course they can't go to 14.000 rpm, 2000 is max. This is why I initially suspected the fan hub as it would add the rpms together or something but it really just hands down the signal from a single fan. Works flawlessly on mobo header.

I'm confused as heck. The peaks are even spikier now.

Part of me has to wonder if there's some level of noise reduction that is going on with the motherboard software that isn't in the Commander Pro. It's not uncommon for A2D sensors to have weird readings that simply don't make sense. Real-time systems that I've worked with (that do things like get readings from down-hole sensors in an oil/gas well) will do some rudimentary noise reduction ... for example, value X cannot be more that +/- 10% of the previous reading because such a thing would violate the laws of physics. Now, certainly, those environments have much more noise than one would expect to see in a computer system but it does make me wonder ...

Part of me has to wonder if there's some level of noise reduction that is going on with the motherboard software that isn't in the Commander Pro. It's not uncommon for A2D sensors to have weird readings that simply don't make sense. Real-time systems that I've worked with (that do things like get readings from down-hole sensors in an oil/gas well) will do some rudimentary noise reduction ... for example, value X cannot be more that +/- 10% of the previous reading because such a thing would violate the laws of physics. Now, certainly, those environments have much more noise than one would expect to see in a computer system but it does make me wonder ...

The graphs are very stable. I also tried different temp sources with no luck. So that's "sadly" not the issue.

Here are some videos of the revving (and blinking)

Inside the case.

[ame]

[/ame]

In the software.

[ame]

[/ame]

Another view at a fan.

[ame]

[/ame]

I tried various settings. First video is performance curve. But it was the same with the silent one.

On a side note: When I set a custom curve and set the RPM to 0 at that node, the fans are still turning and revving.

Thanks for bearing with me! I'll give my best to supply all needed info :)

Edited by Kodon